Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2005 8:54:46 PM EDT
I've got Friday to try out my DSA G1 FAL, but it doesn't feel right shooting by myself.  I'm going to be shooting it at the Marion Rd. Gun Club on I-16 Exit 6, hopefully someone will be a witness to my success (or disaster).  Anyone who has the time or interest, please contact me at [email protected]

Thanks,
Ben
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:43:06 AM EDT
[#1]
you sound apprehensive!

When I went to the range with my first reloads, I said a prayer- short and sweet.

"Lord, don't let me blow myself up."

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:14:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Has it been headspaced?
If so, then have no fear!
The only other thing that can go wrong is that it short cycles due to not enough gas or too much friction.
If it's a new DSA gun, you might want to take some 300 grit wet dry with you to polish any burrs off the bottoms of the feed rails if your brass isn't feeding well and is getting scratched up.  This is pretty common on the new DSAs.
Have you done a piston drop test yet?  UNLOAD, disassemble, remove bolt/carrier, remove spring from gas piston, check to see if piston will drop back and forth freely in the gas tube?  If not this can cause bent or bound pistons and act like a gas problem.
make sure gas plug is in auto position.
crank the gas adjustment screw all the way closed against gas block, then rotate back out half a turn for starters.
If using metal handguards, bring an oven mitt if you take a lot of ammo.
Welcome to the FAL addiction, the FAL only match is in the spring, I'll post here around the first of the year about it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:51:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Welcome to the FAL addiction, the FAL only match is in the spring, I'll post here around the first of the year about it.

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:45:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I would love to be there friday but I have evening clinicals that day 2PM -10:00PM  so both my day and night are shot, pardon the pun.
I would love to be there as I was once the proud builder and owner of a G-1. Had to sell it off to finance school. Yuck, how I regret it. They are awesome rifles.
I do hope to have my M-4 kit done by the end of the week so maybe we can shoot another day.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:08:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Half of my best times going out shooting was with friends and the other half was all by myself. Sometimes it's really nice to just be the only one there and go your own pace.. I was a member there for 4 years and now live out of state. NC. If I was home I would be glad to show up and bring some of my FAL's to shoot. DSA's are normally nice FAL's... Proper lube. Gas setting and certain area clean. No lube on the gas piston or gas tube. I lube up the bolt lightly and smear thin ( oil or grease on the bolt carrier track and  carrier....Good luck. WarDawg
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:22:41 AM EDT
[#6]
When I went to the range with my first reloads, I said a prayer- short and sweet.

"Lord, don't let me blow myself up."

Thats farking awesome.  I laughed hard on that one.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:14:16 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I've got Friday to try out my DSA G1 FAL, but it doesn't feel right shooting by myself.  I'm going to be shooting it at the Marion Rd. Gun Club on I-16 Exit 6, hopefully someone will be a witness to my success (or disaster).  Anyone who has the time or interest, please contact me at [email protected]

Thanks,
Ben

I'll go.  What day?  Remember that Marion is 24/7....so we could night shoot chem lights.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top