Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2005 11:53:51 AM EDT
There are a few changes to the old rules and some new stuff.... sorry .50 guys.

This is pretty accurate but not 100%. I didn't bring my camera by I recorded what the new pretty white signs say

Only firearms using single projectile ammunition may be fired on DNR managed firing ranges. However shotguns using multiple projectile ammunition may be fired at stationary targets for purposes of assesing shotgun patterns in areas specifically designated by DNR for shotgun.

Any weapon prohibited by GA Code section 16-11-122 ie sawed off shotguns, sawed off rifles, machine guns, submachine guns, dangerous weapons or silenced weapons as defined in that section and any weapon firing more than once with a single trigger pull shall not be allowed on DNR firing ranges.

Muzzle loading rifles must be loaded only with black powder or pyrodex.

Firearms using centerfire cartridges .50 caliber or larger are prohibited.

No alcoholic beverages shall be posessed

No persons under persons under the influence is permitted

Smoking is not permitted on or near the firing line.

Non shooters must remain at least 6 feet behind the firing line when any shooter is at the firing line

Tracer or any ammunition considered to be incendiary or explosive is prohibited.

Targets must be made or paper or cardboard or similar material that will no shatter or cause the bullet to riccochet.

Metal targets may be used for special events if approved by DNR in advance.

Ground targets must be positioned so the bullet will not strike flat ground before the backstop.

All targets must be located so the bullet will strike between the base and halfway up the backstop.

No shooting at flying objects.

All childern 16 or younger must be accompanied by an adult shooter 18 or older.

All objects, trash, targets spent cartridges and hulls must be removed by users when leaving the range.

Only open during times posted.... Closed Sundays. Times are 10:00am-7:00pm

Users may only fire at targets directly in front of their position.

Eye and ear protection are required.

Any firearm must be unloaded and either cased or have its action open except when it is on the firing line being fired.

In the event of a firearm malfunction the shooter must keep his or her firearm pointed downrange unloaded and advise all shooters on the firing line of the malfunction.

In the event of a malfunction or another shooters firearm, all firearms must be unloaded with actions open during the malfunction.

All firearms on the firing line must be grounded, unloaded with actions open whenever anyone
is downrange.

Muzzles must be pointed downrange for all firearms on the firing line.

The muzzle of every firearm in the firing position must be in front of the edge of the bench upon which it rests.

All loading of muzzle loaders must be by a single charge dispenser.....

Loading must be done 6 feet behind the firing line whenever another muzzle loading firearm is on the firing line.

Shooters must be on the firing line before capping or priming and must be kept pointed down range.

Forgive the typos

Had a great day all in all. Lots of 1911 and AR action for me along with a bunch of .22 stuff.

Only 6 other people were shooting all day and I left at 2pm, the last one out. Most folks were zeroing their hunting rifles. Seems the ol 300 magnum is getting real popular, almost half of the folks their had one.

Ok, NOW I can start looking for a job  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:07:12 PM EDT
[#1]
With the exception of the .50cal thing, it looks like not much has changed or it is good common sense.
That brings up an issue with the hours though as you said it was open until 1900 but LarryG was cited for being there after 1800.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:15:11 PM EDT
[#2]
if the private range doesn't sell before long i believe i am going to have a shoot.   i also read the horror stories about CE and the nit picking.  one of my brothers that lives in Marietta says everything there is revenue related.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:30:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I have never had a problem there, knock on wood.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:54:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:38:50 PM EDT
[#5]

WTF??????????????  gilfrd, are you sure that's what it says now.

I got a freaking ticket on Saturday for shooting at 1810!

These are new WHITE signs?  The ones Saturday were yellow.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:41:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Any weapon prohibited by GA Code section 16-11-122 ie sawed off shotguns, sawed off rifles, machine guns, submachine guns, dangerous weapons or silenced weapons as defined in that section and any weapon firing more than once with a single trigger pull shall not be allowed on DNR firing ranges

Aren't those LEGAL if you have all the NFA paperwork?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:28:14 PM EDT
[#7]
The Ocmulgee range looks better every day.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:28:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:28:15 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The Ocmulgee range looks better every day.

Great range! Had a good time there..........

Need to do it again!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:12:29 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

WTF??????????????  gilfrd, are you sure that's what it says now.

I got a freaking ticket on Saturday for shooting at 1810!

These are new WHITE signs?  The ones Saturday were yellow.

That's what I meant about not 100% accurate. Most of info was transcribed and the time looks like it could have been misrepresented in the translation.

These are brand new 5' signs, the yellow ones were removed.

Lots of good questions Book, sounds like they are trying to make it Cali friendly.

Very contradictory stuff but Mr. DNR didn't look like he could accurately answer questions I had. I do like the 'ban' on smoking at the line. It used to be only when a black powder rifle was at the line.

CE is still the closest free 100yd range, that in and of itself blows goats. Someday I'll join a range, someday when you aren't required to join an .org to join a shooting club.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:43:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Was at CE Saturday.  No new signs, still closes at 1800.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:32:41 AM EDT
[#12]
They are up again, doesn't look like they were ever taken down LarryG. The previous ones were yellow if I remember right, heck I was right there when Mr. DNR was putting up the new ones, thus the post.

The closing time is 6:00pm, sorry for the confusion.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:35:03 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Any firearm must be unloaded and either cased or have its action open except when it is on the firing line being fired.

No concealed or open carry at CE?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top