Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2005 4:08:53 PM EDT
OK,  Since I'm a newbie to the state I have been reading through the Hunting regulations

Looking over page 7 of the reg under Legal Firearms and Archery Equipment.  22 cal or larger for bullets.  Nothing on magazine capacity.  I looked in the special firearm restrictions and it only covers plugs for shotguns and silencers.  Did I miss something?  Is their a magazine limit or could you use a 20 or 30 rounder?  (not that I need that many shots)

I only have a 25 round mag for my 6.8 that I use for deer hunting.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:31:38 PM EDT
[#1]
5 round limit, 4 in mag, 1 in chamber.

With that said I use a colt 20 rnder with 4 in it and 1 in chamber for deer.  Not about to pay $25 for a 5 rounder.

Bill3508
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:47:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Bill,

I'll tell you from experience that they will give you a hard time for a 20rd magazine, regardless of how many rounds are in it!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:08:03 PM EDT
[#3]
We had this exact same thread last year.  There are no rules or laws anymore concerning mag capacity while hunting in Ga.  I called my local duck popo and asked.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:09:00 PM EDT
[#4]
edited to acknowledge that our local popo has a faster trigger finger than me.(I was reading this years regulations to be sure nothing was stuck in there I was unaware of)

I know for a fact that there is a restriction on shotguns.  Dove hunting ect.... you are limited to 3 rounds and are limited to 5 rounds while hunting deer, bear, and hogs.

As far as rifles go, I have never seen a magazine capacity restriction in writing.  I have heard people say that there is one, but I have yet to see it in writing (it's not in this years regulations either) so I've always gone on the premise that there is no restriction.   If you can show me where this rule is in writing, I would appreciate it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:28:20 PM EDT
[#5]
no restriction on mag capacity for rifles and deer.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:53:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Cool Beans.  Thanks for the responses.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:14:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
We had this exact same thread last year.  There are no rules or laws anymore concerning mag capacity while hunting in Ga.  I called my local duck popo and asked.

I believe this to be the case.

However, the game laws are not always enforced by enlightened LEOs.

In some areas it is the SO that checks, some places it is a marshal.  These guys aren't always up on changes in hunting and firearms laws.

There used to be a 5 round limit in gunz when deer/hog/rabbit/ etc.  hunting, but no more.  That doesn't mean you won't get a ticket or get your dog shot if you have a hi-cap locked and loaded though.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:35:53 PM EDT
[#8]
an experience i had while dove hunting years ago in georgia. maybe 10 years. game warden shows up in a  private field where lots of us paid a fee to hunt. he goes around checking various people. now. im ok because i have a o/u browning 20. but the test he runs if you have a mag is to see how many rounds he can get in the thing. and he gave tickets or whatever they are if he could get more than the limit (I think 3). when i was a kid i remember at least one pump with a wooden rod in the magazine that limited the number of shells..

so they might not care. but who knows. one thing about a shotgun is you can shove rounds into it without removing the mag (obviously.. how would you remove it anyways..) but with a magazine you have to pull it off and load. so perhaps thats the thing. who knows. personally i would get a 5 rounder (or two) but the money is not an issue for me. having a smaller mag attached might actually be easier to handle if you cant use the whole thing.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:58:55 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
5 round limit, 4 in mag, 1 in chamber.

With that said I use a colt 20 rnder with 4 in it and 1 in chamber for deer.  Not about to pay $25 for a 5 rounder.

Bill3508

No need to spend $ if you already have some spare mags.  Just take a 20 rounder and make a spacer that slips inside the mag spring that limits the capacity to 5 rounds (or whatever you want).  I think I used some door shim material to make one.  No permenant mod to the mag, and works just like a plug in a shotgun.

Eventhough there is no limit now, I do use a mag so modded when I 223 hunt.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:12:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, I might make a plug or something for mine.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:26:17 AM EDT
[#11]
For a long time, I've heard from lots of people that there's a 5 round limit for hunting big game...but I had to let the same folks know the Clinton ban died last year

I've also been told hundreds of times that using soft point bullets for big game is illegal here in GA.  What gives?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:20:52 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I've also been told hundreds of times that using soft point bullets for big game is illegal here in GA.  What gives?

thats the internation ban against expanding bullets. animals have rights just like hajis..
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:53:41 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
For a long time, I've heard from lots of people that there's a 5 round limit for hunting big game...but I had to let the same folks know the Clinton ban died last year

Unless the law has changed, Soft point bullets are not illegal for big game hunting, infact they're required by georgia hunting regs.  Believe me it's a PITA to find 147gr Soft Point 7.62x54r.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:19:36 PM EDT
[#14]
I enforced game laws 30+ years no restriction on magazine capacity for rifles only shotguns for deer limit is five (one in chamber four in magazine) all other game is three. (One in chamber two in magazine.) Only restriction on full auto will be on Federal property, out in the county you can link a tractor-trailer load of ammo to a M-60 and it would be legal. Does not make sense does it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:26:37 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unless the law has changed, Soft point bullets are not illegal for big game hunting, infact they're required by georgia hunting regs.  Believe me it's a PITA to find 147gr Soft Point 7.62x54r.

Only soft point ammo will be legal for hunting in Georgia. I issued long form many times to persons using wrong ammo. (SKS crowd always had ball ammo.)
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:29:17 PM EDT
[#16]
dnr,  Thanks for the info.  How about Sierra 69 BTHP?  The reg just says expanding bullets.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:24:16 PM EDT
[#17]
As long as they appear to be expanding type bullets, you should not have any problem.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top