Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2005 1:29:26 PM EDT
This will be the first of a monthly tactical rifle match.

Range is located in Murray County, GA. on the TN state line at a private shooting club (Camp Shooters).

Targets will consists of paper, steel and maybe clay from 25 to 500yds.

If you have a rifle capable of 1MOA from 223 to 308WIN and like being under stress come on out!! No wildcat cambers. This match will focus on real life accuracy standards, not smallest group size.

For more info email Jason at [email protected], put tactical rifle match in the subject line.

(I will post more as it comes available)

EDIT: YOU MUST PRE-REGISTER TO ATTEND. DOWNLOAD THE REG. FORM OFF THE WEBSITE AND FAX IT TO ME AND YOU CAN BRING YOUR $10 THE DAY OF THE MATCH. REMEMBER YOU MUST HAVE THE FORM IN BEFORE THE DAY OF THE MATCH!!! EMAIL ME WITH ANY QUESTIONS.

edit: website
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 1:45:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I definetely plan on being there! If somebody wants to go but don't have a rifle, let me know as I have 3 extra G.A. Precision rifles to shoot as long as you provide the ammo.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 4:35:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Come on guys (gals) I know there are more shooters in the Atl. area.

We have redone the website and are now needing you to pre register due to a overwhelming responce. Cost is only $10! You need to get your from in ASAP as space is filling up fast. You can fax or mail in the form and pay the day of the shoot.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 6:19:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I never entered one of these but it sounds like fun.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 8:14:48 AM EDT
[#4]
If it was on a Sunday not a Saturday I would ink up, but Saturdays are the worst time for me to take off.  it would cost alot more than $10 and gas to come on Saturday, probably around the $500 to $600 in commisions I would loose just by taking the day off.  Sorry I cant make it though.

Sounds like a hell of alot of fun.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 9:12:37 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I never entered one of these but it sounds like fun.  

Now is your chance!
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 10:58:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't have a weapon with magnified optics in those calibers.  Can I take my .300 WSM?  LOL
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:34:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:52:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:09:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:08:19 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
caver101, I was thinking this would have a team format with a shooter and a spotter.  Is that not correct?

How many people have registered for this so far?

On the first match there will NOT be a team event. BUT on later matches there WILL be team event (You can bring a parner or we can pair you up). The first match is going to be limited to 20 shooters to make sure we can offer the best "bang for your buck" and make sure that there are no long wait times. After the first shoot that number should increase. The fax number was not up and running till sunday afternoon, but at lunch today I went home to find two completed faxes. Total that number with the 30 other folks that "say" they are comming and we are around 15 folks, just a guess. There are about 3-4 of use that would love to shoot in the match, but since we set the COF and will have shot it quite a few times we may have a little advantage

On the first match it will be pretty simple (well..........sort of ) There will not be any running, but there will be some moving. This is not going to be a NM or F class type of shoot. There will NOT be any sighters!! Come ready to shoot!!

Make sure you get your fax sent ASAP.

As I have said elsewhere, if time permits, after the shoot if some folks want to stay around and shoot a little (and maybe work on your 500yd dope ) that will be fine!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:20:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:32:12 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I don't have a weapon with magnified optics in those calibers.  Can I take my .300 WSM?  LOL

Don't worry about it, Lawman has already said that he is bring several GAP rifles. In my book they are about a fine as they come. Contact him to see what you can do.

All you need is a 3-9x40 scope and know where you bullet is going!

Heck you can even use iron sights (though the guys with optics have a little advantage over you)........we are easy!

Just come and have fun!!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:39:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Hey folks, we ran through the first 3 strings of the shoot last nigh..........WOW what a blast! I only wish that I could shoot with you guys. Hope some more of you sign up before it fills up, we are gonna have a blast.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:56:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:07:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Alright, finaly a Saturday that I convinced myself to take off.  I'm definatly in on this one.  Look forward to it.  What do I need to do to confirm that I'm definatly coming?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:58:57 AM EDT
[#16]
I would love to fax this form in to confirm that I'm DEFINATLY going to make this, however I dont have a fax number.  Can I get a fax number to send this off?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:01:37 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I would love to fax this form in to confirm that I'm DEFINATLY going to make this, however I dont have a fax number.  Can I get a fax number to send this off?

fax it here (706) 673-6622
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:09:37 PM EDT
[#18]
I'd love to do it but both of my precision rifles have a few bugs that need to be worked out before I want to enter a competition. Sounds really good though. I need to have a WHOLE LOT MORE trigger time on distances past 100 yds. There will be others won't there? PLEASE?????
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:22:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Damn...gotta work.  It's probably just as well since BookHound would kick my ass anyway.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 12:29:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I'd love to do it but both of my precision rifles have a few bugs that need to be worked out before I want to enter a competition. Sounds really good though. I need to have a WHOLE LOT MORE trigger time on distances past 100 yds. There will be others won't there? PLEASE?????

what ever makes you sleep at night..........excuses...excuses............

Just kidding........come on up, after it is over we will have free run of the range out to 500 yds so you can work on your 500 yd dope.

BOOKHOUND: I still have not gotten anything on the three of you guys that are comming.

There will be more matches. Probably not every month, but one every two or three months.

BTW this frist match will be the cheapest one too!! The entry fee will go up after this match. (not much though)
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 2:41:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Caver,

I believe I'm one of the 3 that your talking about coming with Bookhound.  If that helps at all.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:56:04 AM EDT
[#22]
A-Train, do you know if bookhound has sent the required reg forms?

Bookhound--------> PM sent
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:34:13 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm not sure, I havent talked to Bookhound in over a week.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:33:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:25:00 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I'm here.  I have been very distracted with work.  I got the PM and will get the forms out today for sure.  Sorry 'bout that.

OK
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:17:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:26:24 PM EDT
[#27]
caver101 and co.:

Great match today, I was impressed with how it all went and I think I learned a bit, too.  It was only third time I've fired a gun beyond 300yds.  

I'm emailing the scoring info we discussed.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:27:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Caver,

Thanks for the fun match, I hope to be able to do it again in the future but with the right equipment next time.  That way I might actualy be able to compete.  Anyway it was a fun and learning experience non the less.  
Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:22:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:33:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Hey guys, I want to say thank your for comming out on such a hot day! You are a real nice group of folks for sure!!

The next match should not be quite as hot, we are shooting at first to mid November before all of the hollidays, we should have a date out in a week or two.

I do have a few pics and a little video, not as much as I should have, but everything was running pretty fast. I will post them later this week.

Mark (and someone else) was asking what would be the best rifle to use in a match like this. I would have to say, for the money the Remington M700 LTR with a Leupold 3.5-10x40 Mark 4 M3 would be your best bet, but a AR10-T with a good trigger would run very well too and of course the good old Remy M700P with the 26" barrel would run great too, but the shorter barrel on the LTR would be easyer and quicker to move around with. The M1 scopes are great but in the heat of the moment can you remeber were you last turned you M1 knob? They are more precise, but take more time to remeber where you 100 yd zero is, with the M3 you just turn it back till it stops and you have your 100 yd zero.

Do you remeber seeing the rifle that had the camo paint job? That is probably the perfict setup. He has the HS Precision floor metal with a 4rd and a 10 rnd mag. Check out his website at link

Thanks again!!!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:54:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:18:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:20:58 AM EDT
[#33]
It will not be the same time as thanksgiving. Probably the first to mid of the month.

From what I have seen and read the LTR is more accurate than the 700P. The LTR with the right ammo should give 1/2" groups where the 700P will yield around a 3/4" group, your results may vary.  The last time I checked www.kyimports.com had the best prices on the Remington LTR and 700P.

I had a Remington M700 5R and it shot like crap, BUT I have shot quite a few that were VERY nice. If you can get your hands on a good shooting 5R..... GET IT! If I remember correctly it has a 1:12.? (something odd like 12.2 or 12.4..12.8??) twist and folks are getting VERY VERY good results with the 155 palma match and 150-155 gn spitzer bullets (handloads).

If you have a little more money you can go with a custom rifle from www.snipercentral.com They start around $1400 and go to about $1750, BUT you get a 1/2 MOA guaranty with FACTORY AMMO! Than means with good hand loads you sould be getting 0.25 MOA groups! It comes in a McMillan stock too! These are the best rifles on the market for the money.......(I got one comming!) The other smiths are selling about the same rifle for nearly twice as much.

As for the best deal on a scope...check out midwayusa.com....they are having a sale on the 3.5-10x40 M3 with the duplex reticle then send it off to premire and have the Generation 2 Mildot installed.

Now do not discount the AR with a GOOD varment upper..... with proper optics and a good heavy match round like the Hornady 75gn Match or Fed GMM 69gn it would be a nice lite package out to 5-600 yds. (OH and you need a good trigger too.)

Now if anyone wants to try their hand at some longer distances there is an upcomming shoot in W.V.. The match is called the Allegeny Sniper Challenge. It is a two day match and you will fire somewhere between 100-140 rnds from 100 to 1000 yds at unknown distance targets. This will be my first attempt at such a match, I will let you know how it goes . (Sept 9th-10th)
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:12:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:38:44 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I've had some really tight groups, several which were just shy of 1/2 MOA at 100.  I just dont get out and shoot it that much anymore.  It's just been sitting in my safe.  I've put 125 rounds through it since I got it.  I shoot pistols mainly now.

Sounds like you have a keeper my friend!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top