Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2005 7:01:47 AM EDT
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7157845/

Shooter on the loose.  Latest news as of 1105 is that southwest Atlanta schools are on lock down.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 7:09:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, -  what the hell is going on over there, guys?

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7157845/
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 7:15:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I hope he did not use an assault rifle.

I see on the news they said it was a MG.

I hope they're wrong.

Edit: I know someone who is working on catching him right now...

I hope they do it soon...

Link Posted: 3/11/2005 7:19:36 AM EDT
[#3]
He was up for MG charges...and rape and such. There is a running thread in the GD.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 7:21:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I feel bad for the people that died and their families.

I hope the bad guy gets caught.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 7:47:47 AM EDT
[#5]
wow, at first I thought this guy was a hired assassin, a professional "cleaner."  Like taking the handgun from the deputy and walking out of the Fulton County Govt Building.  That's unreal.  For those who don't know the building, it is actually two buildings connected by a skybridge over a road, has two entrances with metal detectors and 3-4 officers each enforcing the detectors.  It houses Fulton County Police HQ among many other govt functions.

I say at any time, there are around 40-50 police officers/deputies in the buildings, not to mention whole bunch of police officers around the building, on duty in the heart of Atlanta downtown, as well as Marta police.

And this criminal took 4 cars to confuse the police tracking?  Then I found out the criminal is on rape charge on hung jury last week, appeared before his time today and did the infamous killings.

Will this add more time for my ccw waiting clock?  I should have just applied here in Athens
My prayers for those slain and injured and their families...
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 7:57:04 AM EDT
[#6]
for the families of the slain...and for the "ammo" this gives to the gun-grabbers.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 8:00:37 AM EDT
[#7]
now on CNN
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 8:03:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I thought it said he wrestled the gun from a deputy sheriff??
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 8:24:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 9:53:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Guy got the gun from a female deputy in the courtroom; shot her in the face, then shot the court reporter and the judge, killing both of them.  Out on the street, he was chased briefly by another deputy, then turned and fired five shots, hitting the deputy once in the abdomen.  Deputy had no vital signs when processed at Grady Memorial Hospital.  

My dad always carried a pistol when he was on the bench, as do several of my friends who are judges.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 10:37:58 AM EDT
[#11]
What WalterGA said.  I think they should make it mandatory for important govt figures like judges to carry pistols or at least bullet proof vests.

Yeah, we don't need more deputies, we need more judges and attorneys with pistols.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 11:02:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Bulletproof vests mean fuck-all when the other guy aims for the head.  Not to mention that a judge with a piece would be firing in the direction of innocent (well, presumed) bystanders and you open yourself to some serious liability issues.

I imagine this case is going to be studied by the security community for a long time.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 11:12:59 AM EDT
[#13]
What the hell was a 210 pound rapist doing alone with a 130 pound female Deputy in the first place? Was he even under restraint?

This dude needs to be capped. He has had his day in court....
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 11:31:02 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
What the hell was a 210 pound rapist doing alone with a 130 pound female Deputy in the first place? Was he even under restraint?

No.  And he wouldn't normally be, either.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 1:52:24 PM EDT
[#15]
AMEN brother. Thank You.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 2:59:13 PM EDT
[#16]
So much for "Gun Free Zones".
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 3:27:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't know for sure, but I'd hazard a guess that Judge Barnes' family isn't too concerned right now about any potential liability that he/they might have suffered, had he been armed.  I'm also not sure, but believe that judges and other public officials are shielded from liability in such cases.  

I can't think of a single case where a murder victim would have been worse off, had that murder victim been armed when attacked.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 4:37:46 PM EDT
[#18]
From what I've heard, the guy had no restraints on at the time and defendants aren't allowed to be brought in the court room in cuffs or in prison coveralls.

He may have been changing in to civvie clothes when it went down.

He had two jailmade knives confiscated from him last week at his first trial.

Sounds to me like it a lot oc complacency that opened the door for this.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 5:38:45 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
What WalterGA said.  I think they should make it mandatory for important govt figures like judges to carry pistols or at least bullet proof vests.

Yeah, we don't need more deputies, we need more judges and attorneys with pistols.

What we NEED, IMO is NO MORE CPZs! (Criminal Protection Zones) Had a CHL holder been around when the jerk shot the deputy outside, maybe we wouldn't have "Brian Nichols" TV 24/7 right now. I think there probably wasn't anyone IN the courtroom (from the "public") so unlikely for a CHL holder to be THERE to potentially save the Cort reporter Judge, and certainly not the deputy.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 6:10:43 AM EDT
[#20]
The Associated Press claims:

A U.S. Customs agent was found today on Lennox Rd in Atlanta today. The gun and badge is gone.

The 94 Blue Ford Pick-up truck of the U.S. Custom's Agent is missing Liscense plate (Georgia plates) APG 6121. They don't KNOW that it was Nichols... but if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:40:05 AM EDT
[#21]
They got him!

Alive...  

I am sure they will fix that after his day in court.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:15:32 AM EDT
[#22]
The amazing thing to me is that this guy acts like such a tough badass and shoots several people including federal agents and a judge, but when he gets cornered he comes out with his hands up like the scared pussy he really is. I would have at least expected him to put up a fight, or hold a hostage for a while or something. He should have put the gun to his own head and pulled the trigger, or come out with his gun waving around and let the police do it for him. Now we have to spend millions of dollars and several years to do the job he should have done himself. The families of all these victims have to relive this nightmare everytime he makes an appeal or files a motion. I'm personally against the death penalty, for the fact that I don't trust the government to not screw anything up, but this is one of those cases where I could almost make an exception. Hopefully someone in prison will do us all a favor and stick him in the gut.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:34:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Wow. I am definitely missing out.

when did they catch his sorry ass?
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:49:51 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Hopefully someone in prison will do us all a favor and stick him in the gut.

Or...

Somewhere else.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:26:04 AM EDT
[#25]
i think he's gonna git it by some big fat dude.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:54:29 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
The amazing thing to me is that this guy acts like such a tough badass and shoots several people including federal agents and a judge, but when he gets cornered he comes out with his hands up like the scared pussy he really is. I would have at least expected him to put up a fight, or hold a hostage for a while or something. He should have put the gun to his own head and pulled the trigger, or come out with his gun waving around and let the police do it for him. Now we have to spend millions of dollars and several years to do the job he should have done himself. The families of all these victims have to relive this nightmare everytime he makes an appeal or files a motion. I'm personally against the death penalty, for the fact that I don't trust the government to not screw anything up, but this is one of those cases where I could almost make an exception. Hopefully someone in prison will do us all a favor and stick him in the gut.

I once attended a notorious murder trial in which six members of the same GA family were slaughtered by four escapees from a Maryland prison.  Then-Gov. Carter's mother, "Miss Lillian" sat right in front of me in the jury box that wasn't being used for housing the trial jury.  First words out of her mouth to me were, "You know, I've always been against the death penalty."  Second words out of her mouth were, "This is my first murder trial."  Fifteen minutes into the testimony by one of the perps who was testifying about exactly what was done to the young woman who was one of the victims, "Miss Lillian" turned to me, red-in-the-face and said, "They ought to take them out and string them up, right now!"  

In '96, I enjoyed relating that true story to Rosalyn Carter in person.  Doubt if I changed her mind, either, but dealing with the Real World, rather than sophomoric hypotheticals, sometimes changes one's view of subjects such as the death penalty.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:06:20 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I can't think of a single case where a murder victim would have been worse off, had that murder victim been armed when attacked.  

But in a case where the victim would have been no better off, the result is still the same.  Everyone on this board likes to sit back in their good ol' boy britches and say that "if he'd had a gun..." when the simple fucking fact is that it would not have helped him.

As much as it pains us to think it, sometimes carrying a weapon will not save your life.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 11:17:47 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But in a case where the victim would have been no better off, the result is still the same.  Everyone on this board likes to sit back in their good ol' boy britches and say that "if he'd had a gun..." when the simple fucking fact is that it would not have helped him.

As much as it pains us to think it, sometimes carrying a weapon will not save your life.

Incredible logic!  I'll stick with my statement.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 2:36:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Do we have death penalty in Georgia?
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 11:21:11 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm in Europe this week on business.  Oh, joy!! I thought I drop everyone a line, especially I heard about the shooting in Fulton County Courthouse via the BBC news.  They are stating that the "spate of appalling shootings in the United States serves as an awful reminder of what happens when firearms become so embedded in a society that it becomes impossible to control them."  (www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,542-1524520,00.html  So if I understand the BBC, problems with the sheriff's office does not matter, problems with weapon retention by officers does not matter, problems with deputy assignments does not matter, only guns are to blame for these shooting.

IMHO, the folks in the UK are just clueless.  Even though the AJC has already stated that "a surveillance camera captured Brian G. Nichols' surprise attack on a Fulton County sheriff's deputy, but no one in the control center noticed the assault and sent help, said a law enforcement official who viewed the security tape", the Times thinks that guns are to blame. (www.ajc.com/news/content/metro/atlanta/0305/14courtcamera.html

So remember, the UK has pegged all the US problems.  Guns are the sole problem with the US.  It's all Bush's fault.  Just thought I send everyone Europe's opinion of the shooting.

No wonder we rebelled against the UK!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top