Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2004 2:08:41 PM EDT
I'm in downtown ATL for the rest of the week and am running out of restaurants and bars that look interesting to try.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 11/17/2004 2:21:14 PM EDT
[#1]
It used to be the 'Gold Club'

although that's been quite a while..

Beautiful city, and I am sure you will find your way.

Buckhead area for upscale dining, night-life.
Link Posted: 11/17/2004 2:36:53 PM EDT
[#2]
One: Can you narrow it down a bit? Type/flavor? Downtown? Front Page News(New Orleans Cuisine) - 13th and Crescent  Lunch/Dinner/Bar possibly live music - haven't been lately.

Two: Wanna get together for a brewski with a few of us one nite? We may be able to organize something quickly.

Three: There is a shoot in Athens Sat!

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 11/17/2004 2:38:48 PM EDT
[#3]
i think Atlanta is pretty empty as far as tourist value however if you explore the burbs and within an hour radius youll find some facinating history.
Link Posted: 11/17/2004 2:40:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It used to be the 'Gold Club'

although that's been quite a while..

Beautiful city, and I am sure you will find your way.

Buckhead area for upscale dining, night-life.

Gold Club is no more........   But the Cheetah is still around

the Clermont Lounge is always interesting.(ask for Blondie)
Link Posted: 11/17/2004 3:11:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
One: Can you narrow it down a bit? Type/flavor? Downtown? Front Page News(New Orleans Cuisine) - 13th and Crescent  Lunch/Dinner/Bar possibly live music - haven't been lately.

It's all good.  Just looking for something different to spend the my expense money on for dinner.  

Two: Wanna get together for a brewski with a few of us one nite? We may be able to organize something quickly.
Sounds good but I'm only in town tonight and tomorrow night.  I'll be back down in a few weeks and again a few weeks after that, probably just after New Years.

Three: There is a shoot in Athens Sat!

I fly back to VA friday evening or else I'd have brought some toys down in checked baggage and rent a car to get out there.
Link Posted: 11/17/2004 3:13:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/17/2004 3:51:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Come on people...let's give him some good places to eat!!!

I guess Ted's Montana Grill for the 'novelty' of it. Fago de Choa(sp?) be HUNGRY!

ByteTheBullet  (-:

Link Posted: 11/17/2004 4:16:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm in downtown ATL for the rest of the week and am running out of restaurants and bars that look interesting to try.

Any suggestions?

Hoplophile,

You're in luck as far as good food. ATL has some excellent food.

I can't help you too much with the clubs but as far as good eats, you're in luck.  ATL has a bunch of great restaurants.  Just off the top of my head, you might want to try some of these (you can Mapquest them out to get an idea of how far you have to go from your location):

Thai:
Tamarind Thai (Try the duck salad!)
80 14th St. NE (bet. Spring & Williams Sts.)
Atlanta, GA,  30309-3603
(404) 873-4888

Chinese:
Hsu's Gormet (Get the spicy Anna seafood noodle soup. It kicks ass.)
192 Peachtree Center Ave. (International Blvd.)
Atlanta, GA, 30303
(404) 659-2788

Pizza/Italian:
Lombardi's (Their brick oven pizzas are awesome)
94 Upper Pryor St., SW (Martin Luther King Jr. Dr.)
Atlanta, GA, 30303
(404) 522-6568

BBQ:
Rolling Bones Premium Pit BBQ (If you like brisket, you can't miss this place)
377 Edgewood Ave., SE (Jackson St.)
Atlanta, GA, 30312
(404) 222-2324

All of these are low-moderately priced and are casual dining so you don't have to dress up.  They should be close to wherever you're staying downtown.  There isn't much in the burbs except for chain restaurants so your pickings are slimmer as you leave the metro area.

Well, I've typed enough so hopefully, this helps you.  Welcome to ATL and enjoy your visit!
Link Posted: 11/17/2004 6:14:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I can't believe nobody has mentioned.......

Fatt Matt's Rib Shack

It's in midtown. On Piedmont/Monroe
Link Posted: 11/17/2004 7:04:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I can't believe nobody has mentioned.......

Fatt Matt's Rib Shack

It's in midtown. On Piedmont/Monroe

Oh yes, absolutely.  Only downside is that they don't take plastic so grab some cash and enjoy sitting on the picnic tables (the weather is pretty nice this week!)
Link Posted: 11/17/2004 7:47:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I guess Ted's Montana Grill for the 'novelty' of it.

Been there.  Not bad but I actuall like Durangos a bit better.  Maybe that was juest the cute waitress with the eastern European accent though.

Fago de Choa(sp?) be HUNGRY
 I don't think I've been there yet.  I'll look it up.
Link Posted: 11/17/2004 7:56:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Tamarind Thai (Try the duck salad!)

Hsu's Gormet (Get the spicy Anna seafood noodle soup. It kicks ass.)

Lombardi's (Their brick oven pizzas are awesome)

Rolling Bones Premium Pit BBQ (If you like brisket, you can't miss this place)

Thanks!  I ate at Hsu's and really liked it.   I'll give one of the others a shot tomorrow for dinner.  

I've actually been down here on and off for several weeks but til now I was working too many unpredictable hours to be able to plan on meeting anybody.  Things are under control now and things should be really smooth on my next few visits.  When I know for sure when my next trip down will be I'll let you guys know and we can get together somewhere.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:11:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Hey all.  I just found out that I need to head back down next week.  Anybody want to meet up next Thursday evening?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:17:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:05:59 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm doing work downtown for Turner.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:10:51 PM EDT
[#16]
BTW, what's going on down there next week?  All the hotels seem to be booked up.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:12:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Next Thurs, no can do.  Friday night I can do though.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:27:31 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I'm doing work downtown for Turner.  

I'd be wililng to try to meet you for lunch downtown one day.  If you like seafood, there is a really good seafood restaurant right there at CNN Center.  It is called McCormick & Schmick's.  Their food is awesome.  Here's a link to their Atlanta location.  www.mccormickandschmicks.com/main.cfm?action=location&element=initial&locID=62

If you want to go somewhere more like where the "locals" go, let me know and I'll come pick you up outside your building.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:28:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
BTW, what's going on down there next week?  All the hotels seem to be booked up.

NFL Playoffs, maybe?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:55:56 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NFL Playoffs, maybe?

Maybe, but the Falcons don't play until Sat the 15th and there was almost nothing available downtown.  My only options were an expensive smoking room at the Embassy Suites or some cheap place several blocks away that doesn't offer internet access.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 3:54:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:20:34 AM EDT
[#22]
+1 for McCormick & Schmicks.  Discovered them in a former life on the West Coast.  Better than Atlanta Fish House, in my opinion.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top