Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/19/2004 5:06:37 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:52:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I gave you a answer in the other thread.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:08:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes you can do face to face private sales for long guns in neighboring states.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:27:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Alright once and for all, from ATF's website:

"Please note that if a private person wants to obtain a gun from a private person who resides in another State, the gun will have to be shipped to an FFL in the buyer's State. The FFL will be responsible for record keeping. See FAQ B3 (Firearms). "

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b17

This goes back to the Gun Control Act of 1968 and it includes long guns and buyers in neighboring states.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:34:08 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Alright once and for all, from ATF's website:

"Please note that if a private person wants to obtain a gun from a private person who resides in another State, the gun will have to be shipped to an FFL in the buyer's State. The FFL will be responsible for record keeping. See FAQ B3 (Firearms). "

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b17

This goes back to the Gun Control Act of 1968 and it includes long guns and buyers in neighboring states.

Didn't the FOPA make FTF transfers of long-guns between nonprohibited individuals from different states legal (GCA notwithstanding), so long as neither state law prohibited it?  
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:34:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Where is this stated by .gov? I had withheld from a sale to a guy in SC because he wanted to send it to an FFL and I was wishing he would just drop it on the GA side and happen to find some cash on the SC side of the state line.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:58:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Negative on the FOPA '86.  All it did was allow sales of longs guns by licensed dealers to a non-resident of any of the 50 states.  Prior to that and since GCA '68, FFL's could only sell long guns to residents of contiguous states.

Sales between non-licensees across state lines continues to be verbotten.  When the alphabet boys scream about the dreaded "gun show loophole" this is one of the things they're griping about.

On a personal note, just don't do it.  Some of the local LEO's may be able to contribute on this but as a rule of thumb today, alot of PD's will run a trace on any gun used in a self defense shooting and some agencies run anything they can get their hands on due to anti-gun policies.  When this happens, the paper trail dies with the last person to have gotten it from a dealer and then he's left to explain how a resident of another state got hands on it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:13:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:14:47 AM EDT
[#8]
You know my honest opinion is I would sell it to someone if I knew them pretty well. I wouldn't to someone who I just meet  That is just my two cent.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:47:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Negative on the FOPA '86.  All it did was allow sales of longs guns by licensed dealers to a non-resident of any of the 50 states.  Prior to that and since GCA '68, FFL's could only sell long guns to residents of contiguous states...

Okay - thanks for the clarification!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top