Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2004 12:46:24 PM EDT
I was just given a very nice, never fired Remington 700 varmint rifle.  Does anyone know where I can go to buy a relatively inexpensive, but good quality, scope for a little target shooting?  I'd also like to have a good gunsmith do the mounting for me.  I welcome all suggestions.  Thanks for the help, y'all.

Andy
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 12:50:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I would highly recommend a Nikon or Leupold scope for your Remy.  Where are you located?  We can probably give you some recommendations as far as gunsmiths go.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:30:37 PM EDT
[#2]
"As little as possible" doesnt really help much you would be better off putting an upper limit we can work with. What distances do you plan on shooting? GunSite Hills in Oglethorpe County is a 700yd precision rifle range do you plan on shooting there or just at 100yds or so. The reason I ask is because what is recommended might be better for static 100yd shooting than the constant cranking the turrets would take in shooting at different ranges.  
With that being said, I think the Nikon Buckmaster in 4-16x with the mildot reticle and target turrets cannot be beat for $250. The turrets and adjustments are always very nice and the scope is very repeatable. Of course, we can suggest others like a Nightforce at $1200+.
I have a more recently manufactured Super Sniper w/ the side objective that I'd be willing to part with, I.M. me for details as this isnt the EE. The ones manufactured lately have been good and I have one that I've had on my Savage 110FP that has been repeatedly used down at Hardrock (1000yds) with no problems. I also have the Nikon Tacticle 4-16, Leupy 3.5-10LR/T and 3-9 MR/T. All are very good and if you want to check any out, depending on where you live we can get together.

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 3:48:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 5:32:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.  As  for the questions, I want  to spend less than $500, preferably in the $300 neighborhood.  I don't know if it's reasonable, but that's my initial thought.  And as for the gunsmith recommendations I'm in the Morningside area of Atlanta (northeast of downtown).  Thanks again for the input.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 9:11:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok, with $500 set as a limit, I would suggest $350-ish for a scope and that leaves you $150 for rings and base.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 9:14:05 PM EDT
[#6]
the Cabelas Pine Ridge scopes are actually pretty decent for their price
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 1:42:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Burris makes some good scopes, and you should be able to pick up a nice Luppy for the $350 range. At least go with Leupold STD ring/bases or better.

My advise about bases is if you don't expect to go to 1000yds, then pss on the 20MOA canted bases. They sound cool and tactical, but only off long range benefits and if you're never gonna make use of it, then whats the point? The Super Sniper scope IIRC have 120MO?A of total elevation so don't need extra slop e in the mount. Draw back is since they are at least fixed 10X, there is little feild of view at less than 100yds.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:58:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Kletz,
I would have to disagree about the 20MOA bases. Granted, if you KNOW that you dont plan on shooting LD then stick with the standard base as you said. However, Lawbike sounds like he is getting started in precision rifle shooting and who knows what he might find himself doing. Plus, what if he gets a scope with minimal elevation adjustments. I would suggest that he just get it, its not like it costs that much more and at least he'll be prepared if he does shoot LD.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:16:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I would suggest one of the Leupold or Nikon scopes.  Check out www.riflescopes.com
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top