Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2004 4:31:37 PM EDT
Guys, I'm still learning alot about AR's and all the different types, but I'm having a hard time deciding what kind of parts kit to order. I ordered 1 BM lower and one Ameetec rifle lower as well as an Ameetec Pistol lower. I figured I'd hit the ground running and since Forsyth Pawn will let me transfer all 3 in for $20 I'm happy.

So I come to you guys for advice. I think I want something that has all of the "evil" features because now I(we) can have them. I was also thinking of something more 'tactical' rather than 'sniper'. What does this leave me with a "tactical" kit or "M4" kit? I sure wish I could hold a couple and then decide what I actually want. What is the difference between a Tactical Kit and an M4 kit? Sorry for all the dumb questions, just trying to feel my way out on this one. Which big distributor do you guys buy your kits from? What kit would get me the closest to a true Colt M4?

Thanks for the advice!
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:45:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I really don't build from a kit, I'm partial to building on all RRA parts mostly, with the exception of barrel and stocks.  You really need to research what you want to do with your AR's before you decide.  I would suggest a 20' full length A2 style with a govt profile barrel first with a 1/9 - 1/7 twist for a first one.  This rifle will make you appreciate the AR system and then maybe an M4gery next.

Good luck and let us know if you need any build help.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:54:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe a heavy barrel 20" upper with a 1/7 twist barrel and some heavy match ammo will teach you good trigger control for a rifle, unless you already know that.

I have  14.5 1/7, a 16 1/7 and a 20 HB 1/9. I like them all. The 16 1/7 is a lightweight and the most fun to shoot, because its an A2 and doesn't need a scope. The 68 gr stuff is great out the end.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:55:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:57:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm new to AR's, but fairly experienced when it comes to building AK's. I've spent quite a bit of time building AK's from 80% lowers and parts kits. This was quite challenging but very rewarding in the long run. I really appreciated what I had helped to make, and got to build it however I wanted.

On the other hand, I don't have a lick of experience with AR's. I'm the only really big gun nut in the family, and have never owned an AR, although I've shot a few. For the longest, I decided that the AR was too expensive and not as reliable as the AK so I wouldn't fool with it. I think the real reason why I never got interested was price. I was building AK's for $125 a piece vs. $500 and up for an AR. But, I've finally come around and want to take the plunge into this realm of firearms.

I appreciate all of the kind words of advice.

What are the pro's and con's of owning either a 'tactial' or 'sniper' type of rifle for my first build? I'm taking in as much info. as I have time for, and am still barely scratching the surface. I've ordered the book "The Complete AR-15/M Sourcebook" by Duncan Long. I've heard some good things about it. Any other suggestions on books? I've also visited some of the local dealers and held a few of the different types of the AR-15 and asked as many questions as I could.

BookHound Moderator, I appreciate the offer. I may have to take you up on it. This is an expensive hobby, and I want to make sure that I'll be happy with what ever I choose.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:06:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:50:33 AM EDT
[#6]
BH,

Again, thanks for the insight. I agree, I think the A3 will be the most versatile in the long run. It is difficult as it is to decide what to get, much less, your first stab at it! I live in Smyrna. It is in Cobb County. It is North West Atlanta, just outside of the perimeter.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:10:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Dude, come out to the FOP shoot on the 23rd of October.  You will get to try pretty much every configuration of AR possible and then some  It should help you narrow down what you want, like, want to avoid, dislike, really really must have, etc.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:06:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:44:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Yo, Book, never say never.  You gots to go...its a time-honored tradition
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:57:53 PM EDT
[#10]
This is the one in Birmingham right? How long of a drive from ATL?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:54:22 PM EDT
[#11]
About 2.5 hours by the caravan we usually set up.  We usually meet at around 7am at Cumberland Mall, where we stand around, waiting, BS'ing, and generally giving the Cumberland Mall Rent-A-Cop driving around a heart attack by the sheer magnificance of the hardware present.  Then we head off, making a pit stop at the Chick-fil-a for a breakfast biscuit and coffee and more BS.  We usually make it there around 10:30 our time (range goes hot at 10am Central) and set up.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:02:55 AM EDT
[#12]
can i come?

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:33:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:29:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Sounds fun, that will be a week from Saturday right? When do you guys leave to come back? What are the costs to use the range, and should one buy their ammo ahead of time to avoid costly prices at the range?

I don't have an AR yet either. I called Warren at Ameetec today, and he said there is a 4-6 week wait on the BM lower that I ordered. So, I was going to have to wait till these came in before I could start building. So, I asked him to go ahead and send the Ameetec lowers that I ordered while I waited on the BM lower. So, hopefully in another week or so I will get the Ameetec lowers in. I would've gone with Ga Precision on the Ameetec lowers, but I figured I'd just stay with the same dealer this go round. Next time I'll probably get try locally on the Ameetec lowers, especially when Ga Precison has such a good price!

So, I would have to bring an AK if I went. Nothing really exciting there I guess! Or maybe a K31 and YugoSKS.

Will anyone be bringing any full-atutos? Lately, I've been thinking about investing in a Mac, but don't know anything about FA's. If everything goes as planned, figued I could pick some of the minds' of the guys that have Mac's on the way down. Anyone going that has a Mac?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:15:34 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm not sure that a Mac would be a F/A treat, for the cash involved, how about a M16, Mp5, or even an Uzi.  Plenty of sweet choices out there, but it's going to take $$$$.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:11:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah, that's the thing! I would much rather have an MP-5 or an M16 or AR15 FA, but I just don't have the cash right now for something like that. For that matter, I may not have that kind of change sitting around for a couple of years. That's why I figured I might as well go ahead and get a cheaper one now, rather than waiting for another 2-3 years and pay double for a cheap one. What do you guys think? How much would the price of an MP5 go up in 3-4 years?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:31:59 PM EDT
[#17]
ahhh screw the AR get ya an AK

Betcha yall were wondering when the commie bastard was going to say something
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top