Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2004 7:50:02 AM EDT
I have recently moved to the Smyrna, Cobb County area and am looking for other individuals who are interested in building rifles, collecting, and shooting. Since I am new to the area, I am still trying to scout out reputable dealers, gun ranges, and shooting buddies. I have spent some time building AK's, but am now very interested in building, or assembling, some AR's. I don't have much expertise with AR's but would love to learn.

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:09:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Well you have come to the right place...Welcome...There are quite a few guys here that can help. Come out to a shoot and meet the group. We have a GREAT shoot coming up Oct 23rd. It is in Bham, but it is worth the trip. We usually carpool and caravan. There is a thread all about it.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:31:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:34:26 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Listen to Byte.  He's one of the good guys and lives in that same general area.  Several of us have built our own ARs (usually more than one).  It's an addiction.  For example, after the ban sunset I swapped out several buttstocks and barrels.  The only problem is that I seem to have purchased one RRA 6-pos stock too many.  Solution for most folks would be to sell it.  My solution is to build another rifle.  

Welcome to the GA area & hometown board.

Nope the soulution is to sell it to someone who wants to build one.  I don't know who that could be.........Me that is right I want to,
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:29:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have recently moved to the Smyrna, Cobb County area and am looking for other individuals who are interested in building rifles, collecting, and shooting. Since I am new to the area, I am still trying to scout out reputable dealers, gun ranges, and shooting buddies. I have spent some time building AK's, but am now very interested in building, or assembling, some AR's. I don't have much expertise with AR's but would love to learn.

Since I'm a recent (28 month old) transplant here are my take on the area:

- Decent stores are Adventure Outdoors (Windy Hill & S. Cobb Dr.) and Hot Shots (Windy Hill & Austell)
- Decent PISTOL only range is Hot Shots
- Outdoor ranges include John's Mountain, Picken's County and Advanced Bullets.
- Indoor rifle range in Cobb is Ed's Guns, but take a respirator, you'll need it
- Buy parts off the internet or AR15.com dealers. Lowers can sometimes be had for a good price from The Gun Shop in Norcross (45 min drive) or Tommy at GA Precision (a long long drive).
- I'm embarrased that I didn't start building from the beginning. The AR is such a simple, modular design you'll be kicking yourself.

If you want to go shoot some ARs with an AR noob then I go to Pickens Co range every other weekend or so. IM me if you want to tag along.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:07:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Welcome!  I, too, live in the Marietta/Smyrna area.  I would highly recommend coming to the shoot on the 23rd.  It will be a great time and you will be able to meet alot of us there.  You will find the AR to be a great platform to work on.  It's very simple and very versatile.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:14:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Guys, thanks for the warm welcome and heads up on the ranges and shops. This will definitely epedite the process of learning the area's good ranges and shops. Never hear of Bham. I'll look it up on Mapquest and see where it is.  Maybe I'll try to find that thread first!

What about dealers. Any reputable ones that you guys can vouch for? Ones with fair prices on FFL fees?

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:33:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Guys, thanks for the warm welcome and heads up on the ranges and shops. This will definitely epedite the process of learning the area's good ranges and shops. Never hear of Bham. I'll look it up on Mapquest and see where it is.  Maybe I'll try to find that thread first!

What about dealers. Any reputable ones that you guys can vouch for? Ones with fair prices on FFL fees?

Thanks again!

Bham is short for Birmingham AL.
The range we go to is class III and Tannerite friendly.
Here is a link to their web page.
Welcome to the Georgia Gang.

ARH

www.foprangeinc.com/

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:40:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the link. Anone going to the gun show this weekend?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:41:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Just wait until you meet...........an FAL.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:31:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:48:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Hot Shot's in Smyrna does transfers for $25 bucks.

Accountant
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top