Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2004 6:02:00 AM EDT
got a trade worked out with another member and i have a few questions.

1. legality, he is in AL, im in GA we plan to meet and make the trade. is there any legal issues with this?

2. id like your opinions on the deal itself. the rifle was described as follows:
springfield armory factory built rifle with USGI parts.
a little tweaking was don in new mexico by a DOD contractor.
US GI WINCHESTER CHROME LINED BARREL
US GI TRW BOLT
US GI GAS SYSTEM ACURIZED
2satge NM trigger group
springfield op rod
NM fromt site
BEDDED IN A SYNTHETIC STOCK.
this is a pre sep.  94 gun still preban in a few places.
the gun does not malfunction in any way ever ! it shoots 1.5" groups with port ammo.

he is including the original walnut stock, what looks like an ARMS scout mount and 1 GI magazine. and we will be trading for my Colt MT6601 HBAR and $500 so basically im asking you guys with more M1A experience than i have if this sounds like a $1400+ rifle to you.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:00:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I'll need to check the specific code section but I'm about certain that it is legal for individuals to tranfer firearms between Georgia and Alabama without the need to go through an FFL.
As for $1400, it sounds ok-not great but you arent getting hosed either. When he says that its bedded in a synthetic stock, what kind is it? If its a McMillan then thats pretty good, but if its GI then its so-so.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:51:12 AM EDT
[#2]
thanks for the help lawman...any other M1A afficionados care to chime in. i could use the guidance.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:10:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:00:15 PM EDT
[#4]
AFAIK, private sales violate federal law if they are inter-state. All interstate firearms transaction must go through an FFL. Just an FYI

From the ATF FAQ:

A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his or her state, if the buyer is not prohibited by law from receiving or possessing a firearm, or to a licensee in any state. A firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector. [18 U. S. C 922( a)( 3) and (5), 922( b)( 3), 27 CFR 178.29]

A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-state source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser's state of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer. [18 U. S. C 922( a)( 3) and (5), 922( b)( 3), 27 CFR 178.29]

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:02:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Tommy, david...thanks alot. im glad to get some input from respected members with some credability on this matter.

if anyone else would like to chime in with their opinions please do
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:18:45 PM EDT
[#6]
My understanding of the legality is face to face sales are a nogo unless both are residents of Ga (or Al.).

However, you can purchase a long gun from a FFL in Al., or your friend can do the same in Ga.  So, you should be able to meet at a convenient (and willing) FFL and do both transfers at the same time.  

I understand having to fill out the yellow form somewhat negates the advantage of  buying from an individual.

On the merits of the deal, if it is what you want, and you are familiar with the rifle, go for it.  The prices you see on the net are for a product you can't touch and feel, or shoot before you buy.  An item I can inspect before I buy is worth more $ to me.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:00:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll concur on the matter of legality. It's only o.k. from private buying from dealer in a adjoining state. I ...BELIEVE....One of yall can go to the other state and do the transfer through a dealer though.

As far as the value, I've seen better, and I've seen worse. If this is from someone you know, and can confirm the history, that holds a certain value over someone you don't know telling you, as his word doesn't necessarily have any worth. I'd confirm whether it's a USGI synth. or oversized synth. If oversized, it's likely a Mcmillan, and valued at or around $350-400.  The ARMS is at least $100, and the accuracy work is probably at least another $100. If it were me, I'd consider the base rifle valued at $1000, or $900 at a dal price, and then add the resale value of the other items to that figure to see if I felt I was getting a fair or good or great deal.  FWIW, I have seen some National Match, not just loaded, but real NM rifles sell for $1500, and even preban mostly USGI parts, except for the barrel.

You might want to check gunsamerica's M14 and SA rifles sections for some price references.

As others said, you're not getting taken, but a better deal could be had.

Also, FWIW, I sold a USMC built NM to a ex-USMC competitive  shooter for $1500, and it was built to the max. Needed a new barrel soon, but the buyer sent me some targets and it was shooting 0.993" 3 shot groups at 200m with irons. He shot with USMC competitively in the mid 80's when the rifle I had was built. He knew several USMC armorers from the timeframe and was still good friends with the guy that kept his rifle up. He wanted one , more or leass, for old times sake, so I did give him a bit of a deal. The rifle was all USGI with a HR NM trigger group, TRW bolt, preban receiver with rear lug added by USMC, welded unitized gas system, steel bedded in a early camo'd Mcmillan oversize stock, with a USMC marked Lite heavy 4 groove 1-12 twist barrel. Needless to say, I kinda regret selling it, but I had picked it up at a pawn shop for cheap, and just bought it to resell. Point is, there are deals out there if you really want to find one.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:09:37 AM EDT
[#8]
thanks K, i appreciate the info. i dont feel like this is a screaming deal but i cant seem to find an earlier SA thats made with GI parts and ive been looking for over a year. best i have found lately for the money is a polytech for $650.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top