Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2004 5:16:08 PM EDT
Hey guys,

I'm looking to finally start taking some carbine classes this fall once my work schedule slows down.  I wanted to get some advice from you guys here since I'm inferring that several have already been through the classes:

1) Who runs basic and intermediate carbine classes here in Georgia?

2) Did you need a backup carbine for the class?

Thanks for your time and I look forward to your input.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:55:21 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Hey guys,

I'm looking to finally start taking some carbine classes this fall once my work schedule slows down.  I wanted to get some advice from you guys here since I'm inferring that several have already been through the classes:

1) Who runs basic and intermediate carbine classes here in Georgia?

2) Did you need a backup carbine for the class?

Thanks for your time and I look forward to your input.

The instructors I have had have been Ken hackathorne and S Dave.
Neither one of them are local. Mike sets up the shoot and the instructor comes to the club hosting the class.
I always take two carbines and two pistols...better safe than sitting on the sidelines and watching people launch lead without you.

ARH
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:15:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Most classes are run at South River Gun Club.  Check their schedule pages regularly.  southrivergunclub.com/
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:16:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:28:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I've attended the same classes as ARH.  Actually, he's my partner .

This was just too easy!

Scot
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:51:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:11:54 PM EDT
[#6]
BookHound or any one else

What class or series of classes would you recommend for new shooter?
I am looking for skill progression, starting with the basics and moving up from there.
I am hoping to talk my wife into being my shooting buddy?
I wonder if there has every been a pregnant women at advance shooting class
Our baby is due is April  heSemper Gumby
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:17:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't think there are any AR classes on the current schedule.  Go to the South River site posted earlier and contact Bill Stringer.  He runs a lot of basic classes.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 3:45:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:18:48 AM EDT
[#9]
If another pistol class gets going up at Pickens with Mike let us know.  I'm always up for some more training.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:42:46 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
BookHound or any one else

What class or series of classes would you recommend for new shooter?
I am looking for skill progression, starting with the basics and moving up from there.
I am hoping to talk my wife into being my shooting buddy?
I wonder if there has every been a pregnant women at advance shooting class
Our baby is due is April  

The Bald Monk
Semper Gumby

Please keep the pregnant woman away from firing ranges.  Lead and other heavy metals and toxic chemicals do not go well with fetuses.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:28:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Not only lead, but the noise travels quite well through amniotic fluids.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:38:15 AM EDT
[#12]
>> Please keep the pregnant woman away from firing ranges

I hadn't thought about that  hat
Are y'all saying it would Not be safe for her just to watch?

The Bald Monk.

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:47:03 AM EDT
[#13]
From a distance it would probably be safe, but she doesn't need to shoot or even handle the spent brass and especially the cleaning fluids.  An AR is probably the worst, because it shits right in your face, so you get a good dose of the gases on each shot.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:47:47 AM EDT
[#14]
When my wife was preggo I didn't even bring her to the range.  She hated it because she loves to shoot but she was out there very soon after she gave birth.  I think within 2-3 weeks.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:02:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Guys

Based on your feedback and further research, my wife is staying away from the range for the duration of the pregnancy.  
We would have never even considered it a risk before reading the posts in this thread.
FWIW the pregnancy risks associated with shooting range from slight (sound effects en utero) to high (exposure to lead and solvents).
There is enough danger out there that can’t be avoided so why risk even a slight danger to participate in an optional recreational activity?
Our thanks to all who posted their warnings and information.
Fortunately for me, she is going to let me go out and shoot.

The Bald Monk
Semper Gumby
http://wayofthebaldmonk.net/avatar/master.jpg
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top