Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2004 5:16:20 AM EDT
.........with an executive producer from WSB-TV.  I left a message yesterday about their very one-sided report about the AWB expiration on their Monday morning 0600 newscast.  I fully expected not to hear from them.

A young lady name Misty (I forget her last name) called me back this morning.  She is an executive producer in their news department.  She was not condescending at all and seemed very interested in our side of the story.  I went into a lot of detail about the lies about sound suppressors and machine guns that they had quoted people such as chief Pennington (our own chief Moose) and that they were outright lies and fabrications.  I also mentioned that the FBI stats do not back up their claims.

She actually seemed very interested and was very nice to talk to.  She definitely got the impression that I (we?) were very miffed about the way the ban expiration was being reported and said that they cared about their viewer's opinions.

She asked if she could keep my number for possible further discussion and maybe coming to one of our shoots (I had mentioned that we have group shoots occassionally).  I told her that the group was leery of that because it usually got spun into something quite different, but she said that would not be her objective, that she wanted to be fair.

I told her about the celebration shoot you guys did on Monday and she said that she wished they had known about that.  She thought it was pretty cool.  They would like to have covered it.  I got the feeling that she was interested in being fair, but she could just be BS'ing me, but I don't think so.

So, I don't know what could become of this and I know you guys would be hesitant, but I really liked her attitude and feel that she would be a straight shooter with us.

Give me your inputs guys.  As I said, she called me back after I had left a voice mail and I was very surprised.  She seemed genuinely interested and we talked for about 45 minutes.  She awoke me from my stupor that results from working nights and getting home about 0600, but it didn't take me long to get going.  What do you guys think?

Okay, I am going back to bed now and I will check in when I get up.  See ya.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:38:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Lemme be the first, in what will be a line of many....

Tonight on WSB-TV, a special report on local militia whack jobs celebrating the demise of public saftey, as the streets FLOOD with AK-47's and UZI's.  Local militia Chieftan Mohammad LARRYG, claims it is a constitutional right to own these weapons of mass hysteria, in a recent interview, he stated "The second amendment does not say one word about hunting.  It's important that law abiding citizens be able to own firearms, and to own them responsibly."  Clearly this crazed madman is in need of a trip to the good eye doctor, as we all know the "Right to keep and bear arms" was replaced some time ago with "The right to keep and bear Abortion Doctors.  For WSB-TV, this is Hot chick with a TV camera, reporting.

IT'S A TRAP!!!!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:57:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I would not trust her.
If she is going to come to one of the shoots, please give plenty of warning so people can decide if they want to be there or not.

ARH

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:13:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, you never know how it will turn out but the real (our) side of the story won't get out at all if we don't try.  We can bitch and moan all we want to each other on this board and it does nothing to educate the public or tell the other side of the story.

I think it's good but needs to be thought out and rehearsed just like the interest groups do.  Know what's going to be asked in advance and have prepared answers.  They bank on people looking like idiots.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:16:21 AM EDT
[#4]
From my experience, or lack thereof, a 'getting acquainted with our friend the AR15, otherwise know as an Assault Weapon' get together is better on a one-on-one or few-on-one basis. My hesitation would be that our group would not be the only people at the range and they might not represent themselves in the same way we do. I am always open to taking someone to the range to introduce them to our wonderful sport/hobby.

Don't forget that this is a PUBLIC forum guys.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:21:53 AM EDT
[#5]
In her defense, if she is an executive producer, they usually just get handed a "script" for the news cast that that has been researched (not always very well as in this case) by someone other than herself.  If she really seems interested, give her a chance and invite her to a shoot.  I have worked at WSB, WGCL, and CNN, with exception of CNN most of the news cast staff are down to earth and good people.  They are merely "puppets" of a higher power most of the time.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:34:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I agree with Byte.  It should be a few rep's and getting her, or whomever, on tape shooting and having fun.  Also, having all the crucial points stressed - home defense, personal protection, decreased crime, etc.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:58:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Just bring a video camera and tape them as they tape you. That way, if it gets spun around, you can submit somewhere else, like a rival station or something, the unedited version. Make sure you get her to shoot an AR15, so she can see that it's not as evil as she's been led to believe. Then, when she realizes that she's been duped like all the other sheep, you'll have a video of her reaction, comments and expressions.

OR

she could be genuine and not feeding you a line. that being the case, what could it hurt? Either way, bring a video camera just in case. You never know.

Agnew out.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:08:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:15:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
My first reaction is to not trust her.

Then again, some good points have been made regarding getting our side of the story told.  I do strongly agree if this were to happen, the "representatives" of the group who answer questions need to be selected very carefully.  The last thing we need is some bubba in BDUs bump-firing an AK into the dirt.  

I also wouldn't trust them to follow a pre-determined script.  Be ready for anything.

I wonder if they would agree to our approval of the final edited version PRIOR to broadcast.

Finally, I respectfully ask anyone talking to reporters to NOT direct them to this website.  Last thing I want is things said on here to be taken out of context.

+1. Thats the one thing they seem to be able to do well is take things out of context.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:38:35 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
My first reaction is to not trust her.

Then again, some good points have been made regarding getting our side of the story told.  I do strongly agree if this were to happen, the "representatives" of the group who answer questions need to be selected very carefully.  The last thing we need is some bubba in BDUs bump-firing an AK into the dirt.  

I also wouldn't trust them to follow a pre-determined script.  Be ready for anything.

I wonder if they would agree to our approval of the final edited version PRIOR to broadcast.

Finally, I respectfully ask anyone talking to reporters to NOT direct them to this website.  Last thing I want is things said on here to be taken out of context.

Just to let you know, I did not and would not mention the website.  I just told her that I know a group of guys and we go shooting together occassionally.

Also, did not and would not mention the website in my letter to the AJC, the text of which is in another thread.

I realize this website does not belong to me and would never do that.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:48:29 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't trust the news media.  The truth has been published on the internet for 10 years, and they still don't get it.

Hell, every shooter at our no-ban shoot had a copy of the law expiration letter from the ATF in their pocket, yet the news still reported the ban didn't expire till 24 hours later!

What kind of "accurate news reporting" is that?

If we want to "educate" these people, let us arrange to have them attend the next CMP match.  Very structured, no bubbas, rules to follow, and youth education going on.

I doubt they will let us screen their presentation, all they want to do is scare soccer moms.

If the news people don't get the story they want, they make it up!  See  CBS for the latest example.

DON'T TRUST THEM!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:04:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:22:15 AM EDT
[#13]
hehe, my company owns WSB TV... so I apologize :)
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:37:31 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

So you like Cox???
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:38:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:56:58 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So you like Cox???

Like 'em?  He LOVES the Cox.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:16:48 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I don't trust the news media.  The truth has been published on the internet for 10 years, and they still don't get it.

Hell, every shooter at our no-ban shoot had a copy of the law expiration letter from the ATF in their pocket, yet the news still reported the ban didn't expire till 24 hours later!

What kind of "accurate news reporting" is that?

If we want to "educate" these people, let us arrange to have them attend the next CMP match.  Very structured, no bubbas, rules to follow, and youth education going on.

I doubt they will let us screen their presentation, all they want to do is scare soccer moms.

If the news people don't get the story they want, they make it up!  See  CBS for the latest example.

DON'T TRUST THEM!

Because they won't believe until it's on TV.  Just the way a lot of people still think.  It's needs to get out on all types of media but done responsibly as Book suggested.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:26:50 AM EDT
[#18]
This is a great chance for you guys to put the truth out. If she comes to a shoot, make them all sign a contract that they cannot show any footage taken there (must do this on private land) without final approval of an Arfcommer over the finished edit.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:33:19 AM EDT
[#19]
I would be very wary of this.  Before Bulletfest, Campybob was contacted by MTV asking if they could shoot footage of bulletfest for one of their "news documentaries".  It basically turned out that the general consensus was that if MTV showed up with cameras, everyone was going to pack up and leave.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:42:25 AM EDT
[#20]
I volunteer to be the Bump-firing Bubba.

I ain't never been on the picture-box before.

-Hobbit
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:24:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Is she cute?  
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:05:13 PM EDT
[#22]
These guys know that shooting is also an Olympic sport, don't they?

In the end of the day it is just lead going downrange.  Just some ways are more fun than others...  
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:10:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Two things-

NEVER trust a liberal!

NEVER trust a WOMAN!

NEVER EVER trust a liberal woman!!!!!!!11

Tell her if she;ll go shooting with you or the group off camera, that you'll consider inviting her to a shoot to film.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:10:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Play Misty for me (Old Clint Eastwood movie). If you need a full auto supressed psyco I will volunteer . Mr Plecko is doing fine.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:32:20 PM EDT
[#25]
No way.

Are you nuts? Do not trust them. Did you see the stories they aired? They may have been out of simple ignorance but I doubt it. There is an agenda there which will not be denied.

Unless you are porking her in a very legitimate way do not bring her out to a group shoot. I realize the potential gain is appealing but the media here in ATL is due for a reality check. I don't want to be presented before that happens.

I spend months vetting neighbors to take shooting one on one before I'd even consider taking them to one of our shoots.

I agree with the above. Take her to a CMP shoot. Don't you guys have Boy Scout shoots down here? That's how I mastered the .22lr.

JW
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:41:02 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Mr Plecko is doing fine.  

Cool!  Thanks for the update!  Glad to know he adapted well.  

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:29:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Tell her to go to the Camden TN shoot in a few weeks. If she's cute I'll let her load my mags and bunk with me

TD
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:35:06 PM EDT
[#28]
... Ask any Arizonan about the time a German news crew filmed a shoot we had in Casa Grande. Even though one of our best possible "spokesman" did a fantastic presentation the Germans spun the story to amuse their viewers. It was called something like the "Assault Weapons Flooding in America"
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:14:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Yep... can't trust any media...really!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:54:24 PM EDT
[#30]
DO NOT TRUST ANY OF THEM....A guy walks up to me on sidewalk and starts asking me questions about the little town I'm in(I'm wondering if he is starting to come on to me) he says he is a reporter for AJC....During our talk I've given him my name and where I work...then he gets down to business...The Mayor has just blown his brains all over his back porch, what do you think?? Well, I say "do not use my name but" then I open mouth and insert foot...The next day I am i.ded in his articale and got credit for someone else's quotes...My boss sees it and shits two bricks.....DO NOT TRUST THEM...or keep both feet in your mouth
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:15:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Caution is really recommended.   Just look at the presidential campaign.   And we're talking about pro's there; on both sides.

Just as a side note.  A couple weeks ago I had a meeting with some Swedish folks and during lunch we were talking "anything but business".   One of them made an interesting comment saying he did not understand all the hype the media and antis make in the US about guns since in Sweden they have relatively far more guns/person than in the US.   He also mentioned Switzerland where everybody is part of a reserve army and is required to have a gun in the house.

Anyways...just to make a note that the #$% the media and antis make here goes all the way to the other side of the pond.

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:21:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Get the reporter to shoot a couple mags, then again the assholes may edit it. In Sweden they can get fullauto for less than $100.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:28:40 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I would not trust her.
If she is going to come to one of the shoots, please give plenty of warning so people can decide if they want to be there or not.

ARH

Yeah, you don't want the media around gilfrd and the tannerite.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:48:39 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Yeah, you don't want gilfrd around.

Fixed.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top