Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2004 7:11:09 AM EDT
Can't find anyone here in Bham to cut and thread my FAL barrel.

Many thanks,

Reg
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:13:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:00:23 AM EDT
[#2]
A shitty one. :)

It's a CAI bastardized L1A1, but for a 300.00 rifle it's never failed in 1000+ rounds and it's surprisingly accurate for a CAI mongrel.

I actually want the barrel shortened about an inch, and then threaded. I think the muzzle brake is silver soldered on. I've dremeled out the pin, but the bitch AIN'T coming off.

Reg

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:29:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:47:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Silver solder will turn to liquid at about 1100 degrees, IIRC.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:18:06 AM EDT
[#5]
A MAPS gas torch will get it plenty hot to remove silver solder.  I would strongly recommend using something like Brownell's heat stop paste to minimize the heat transfer beyond the break as you can seriously F'UP your barrel.  

To chop it down additionally requires a cut and recrown.  Like Book said, check with ZZXXYY99 and see if he's set up to do that yet.  The re-crown is not something to screw with.  If not done right you can kiss decent group sizes goodbye.

In all honesty, you might be better off just rebarreling it.  A new or excellent condition FAL barrel is going to cost not much more than the labor to remove cut, crown, and re-thread the existing barrel and will likely give you better groups.

Also, there's no guarantee that the chimps at Century didn't weld that brake on, in which case it's toast and isn't coming off without chopping the barrel.

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:34:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:07:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Good news on zzxx99 doing it.  I usually ship my barrels of to "moses" in NC, he does a good job too.  We need to get Allen to put up a price list on his work.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:33:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:30:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Tack-driving FALs are rare birds indeed.

Research over on FALfiles indicates that tight headspace and minimum vertical play between the BC and bolt are the biggest contributors to accuracy.

I can get 3" groups out of my century mutt at 100yds when strapped into my highpower gear.

I'm gonna guess you are planning a Vandenberg FF equivalent?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:53:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:59:20 PM EDT
[#11]
A quality barrel also helps too, but that being said I have a worn FN on my G1 that groups as well as a near new Styer on my STG.  You got to love the FAL.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:15:54 PM EDT
[#12]
So how do I get in touch with zzxxyy99?

Thanks

Reg
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:52:06 PM EDT
[#13]
you can get ahold of him via Im or contact book for further info.  (Hope thats cool book?)  But zzxxyy99 is really a top notch guy and really knows his stuff!  Hes really starting to take off so get in fast or you might be sitting in a line!

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:30:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for all the kind words.  Presently I'm at my Other Job, trying to fix a dead server.   Figure on Wednesday going down the toilet, too.  

I'm still in the tool buying, wire-running stage.  I'll be mailing the FFL around to wholesalers, then I'll be ready to order in stuff for the GA gang.  Please bear with me as I'm the employee, manager, shop foreman, and subcontractor for this operation.  And they still expect me to show up for my day job, .  

Please stand by....

p.s.  SG, I second the statement that a good barrel is probably the answer you seek.  Look at gunthings.com, good guy selling cool FAL stuff.  I'm set up for FAL barreling, let me know if I can help.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:22:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Good deal you wackaloon, let us know when your ready to accept work, I have an AR barrel that needs some threads.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:25:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Thanks for all the kind words.  Presently I'm at my Other Job, trying to fix a dead server.   Figure on Wednesday going down the toilet, too.  

I'm still in the tool buying, wire-running stage.  I'll be mailing the FFL around to wholesalers, then I'll be ready to order in stuff for the GA gang.  Please bear with me as I'm the employee, manager, shop foreman, and subcontractor for this operation.  And they still expect me to show up for my day job, .  

Please stand by....

p.s.  SG, I second the statement that a good barrel is probably the answer you seek.  Look at gunthings.com, good guy selling cool FAL stuff.  I'm set up for FAL barreling, let me know if I can help.  

REALLY IGNORANT QUESTION: (But those that know me...)

I assume one cannot put a Metric FAL barrel on an L1A1. Correct?

Thanks!

Reggie
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:57:53 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please stand by....

Thanks!

Reggie

I'll take the liberty to answer this question......and YES you can install a metric barrel on an inch gun, but you must use the proper shoulder "rings" to make headspace, and shoulder sizing may be an option also. Also an inch barrel wil fit a metric gun by fitting the proper shoulder sizing rings.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:01:44 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please stand by....

Thanks!

Reggie

I'll take the liberty to answer this question......and YES you can install a metric barrel on an inch gun, but you must use the proper shoulder "rings" to make headspace, and shoulder sizing may be an option also. Also an inch barrel wil fit a metric gun by fitting the proper shoulder sizing rings.

Shit, I should just stick to Ar's.

Maybe I'll just buy a better FAL...

SG
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:32:09 PM EDT
[#19]
For what it's worth, originally my metric FAL receiver (an Argentine) was setup with an Aussie L1A1 kit.  Like Dennis' situation, the barrel was not chrome lined and had seen better days but damn did it shoot.  A good smith can do wonders and FAL's are very robust.  All in all though, inch-pattern barrels are comparitively expensive so the metric deal is the way to go.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:42:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Swapping inch/metric may also require changing either or both of the front and rear sights.  I am partial to inch rear sights as they are taller, but this requires a very tall front sight if used on a metric barrel.

Gunthings has never done me wrong, and they charge accurate shipping, which no one seems to do anymore.  Brad is good people!

I can also barrel FALs...but no muzzle doo-hickey threading for me...I loathe muzzle devices.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top