Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2004 8:57:35 AM EDT
Stopped in the Galyans in Buckhead yesterday and noticed the hanguns cases were all empty!  I asked one of the counter toadies what gives and got some bullsh!t about, "Our license expired and the company didn't apply to renew in time so they can't sell them"...never mind the fact that an FFL covers you to sell long arms and hand guns and he was in the middle of transferring a shotgun to a customer.  I asked if they had plans to bring them back and was told, "yes, that's what we're being told".  It's just a little disconcerting because Galyans recently got bought by Dick's Sporting Goods, which I don't believe sells handguns.  If I'm wrong on that, somebody let me know.

This PC crap really tries my last nerve.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:51:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:51:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:59:43 AM EDT
[#3]
uhhh BS... they sold their whole stock to i think SOG in ohio
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 12:29:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, Galyans is mostly a yuppie store from what I've seen in there- no offense to anyone, but their gun prices were nothing to jump up and down over. Only thing I got in there that was a deal was a bunch of 12ga. slugs after deer season was over. I'm not saying I wouldn't buy anything there, but I have other places I'd rather shop.

Not much difference than Bass Pro limiting their inventory to a few semis and mostly hunting handguns. I'd be pleasently surprised to see a CCW type pistol in there- KAHR 40 or S&W Mod 36 or something.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 12:51:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:04:10 PM EDT
[#6]
There is a state license required to sell handguns,that is seperate from the Federal FL.
But that probably isn't the case,just another one falls to lawyer and insurance company inspired fear and economic issues!
Robert.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:12:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Well, Galyans is mostly a yuppie store from what I've seen in there- no offense to anyone, but their gun prices were nothing to jump up and down over. Only thing I got in there that was a deal was a bunch of 12ga. slugs after deer season was over. I'm not saying I wouldn't buy anything there, but I have other places I'd rather shop.

Not much difference than Bass Pro limiting their inventory to a few semis and mostly hunting handguns. I'd be pleasently surprised to see a CCW type pistol in there- KAHR 40 or S&W Mod 36 or something.

I found that the, new, local, Galyans, had very good prices on weight lifting gear. $.35 a pound for most of their weights, vs $.60-.80 per pounds at Fitness Experience, MC Sports, Sports Authority, Dunhams, which have stores nearby. Also better than Dick's prices, per their website. New giant Dick's opening up soon. Galyans also had a better selection of gear.

Dick's, Dunhams, MC Sports, and Sports Authority have websites that are vitrually identical, price + selection wise. I'm pretty sure all of them are owned by the same people. I would like real competition......................................

Locally, Galyans had a good selection of handguns, from Glock, S-A, S+W, H-K etc. From utilitarian weapons, to target pistols, to the S+W .500. Prices weren't great, but they were good. They had better selection than any local gun store that I can think of. And none of the usual smarmy gun store sales attitiude.

It's a shame they got rolled up into Dick's empire.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:03:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, you're right Oly- their weights were cheaper. I'd shopped there for a work out bench and some weights, and ended up walking out after I'd picked what I wanted cause the guy in that section ignoredme for about 20 minutes. So I took my $$ elsewhere. But the prices were good. I'd just not show so much patience next time.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:04:05 PM EDT
[#9]
galyan's has a nice climbing wall.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:42:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Well, back up North, Galyans was one of the few large retailers with a decent selection of handguns of types and sizes.  Even the Buckhead one had alot of CCW guns cause they carried most of the S&W snubs and the smaller Glocks.  At any rate, it was nice to have something in the heart of Atlanta that sold handguns.  It's important to keep it in the mainstream culture, if for nothing else than to remind people that this is not some sort of dirty secret.  Also, Galyans is was one of the only non ass hat places to buy a handgun within 30 miles of the Chicago city limits.

This just sucks and they'll be getting a letter from me explaining that how caving in to emotional hysteria and PC culture just cost them a customer.  I knew nothing good would come from Dick's buying them.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:45:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Muddy-

Looks like you need to move back out here....lol I need someone to shoot with.

Batch114
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:48:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:19:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Up here in NoVA the Galyans usually had the best prices on firearms, compared to the Gunstores in the area. Also, they'd have combo deals (extra chokes for a 870 with purchase, extra scope for a 10/22 with purchase, etc.) from time to time.
Sucks that they caved in on that.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:48:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Damn that sucks.  I bought my first gun ever (10/22) and first handgun ever (92FS) from Galyans.  They were one of the few places that didn't look down their nose at a young, fresh out of college "subject" looking to become a "citizen".  

BTW, the BPS up in Lawrenceville seems to have expanded their handgun selection a bit; last time I went up there, they carried Berettas, Taurus, Kimbers, Glocks and Springfield Armory's.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:27:05 PM EDT
[#15]
I just noticed that they are having a sale and have a plain wood 10/22 for $140. Does that sound like a decent deal? I dont have a 10/22 but have been wanting one the past couple weeks.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:38:55 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I just noticed that they are having a sale and have a plain wood 10/22 for $140. Does that sound like a decent deal? I dont have a 10/22 but have been wanting one the past couple weeks.

Thats a decent price for one.  Id grab it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 10:31:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Why worry about Galyan's when you have me?
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:45:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, the Team po-po does have a point...
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:00:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:40:27 PM EDT
[#20]
What, can he beat that price on a 10/22? I could use one for cheap.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:48:35 AM EDT
[#21]
10-22s are one thing you can buy at Wally World cheaper than I can get 'em wholesale.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top