Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2004 12:00:47 PM EDT
My Dad passed away a couple of years ago, and I want to get his guns down here. He was a retired Detroit  LEO and I would like his service revolver (.38), 1911 (.45) and M1 carbine at least. Work isn't at the point where I can get away for a trip up to Michigan (15hrs one way). Do I have to go through a FFL to have them sent to me? Would they charge me by the gun? Any ideas???

Thanks

archer2
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 12:28:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Would you have to do that if there your dads?
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 1:07:24 PM EDT
[#2]
As far as the handguns definately yes. I'm pretty sure its the same for the the rifle too.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 1:09:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Archer2,

Airtran......never forget about Airtran. Up and back in one day.

Accountant
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 1:48:17 AM EDT
[#4]
What are the rules about taking guns aboard an aircraft? How much paperwork and BS do you have to go through? Anyone ever done this?
Thanks

archer2
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 3:24:31 AM EDT
[#5]
They have to be unloaded and locked in a hardcase seperate from any ammunition.

You HAVE to declare them upon check-in of the luggage and the agent will then open the case and confirm that the firearm is unloaded. Then, they will place a signed confirmation in the case and lock it back up.

Airtran has never been a problem for me. I used to travel all over the country and I had a bad habit of buying long guns on impulse. I may not travel much now, but I still have the habit. This really may be your best option.

If the long guns belong to you, you could go to Michigan and ship them to yourself in Georgia via FedEx Ground. You could lock up the handguns in hard cases and put them inside of your checked luggage.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 3:53:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What are the rules about taking guns aboard an aircraft? How much paperwork and BS do you have to go through? Anyone ever done this?
Thanks

archer2

I'm guessing that you have clear ownership and that you are not fighting with your brother/sisters for ownership of the firearms.  If that is so, then all you need to do if fly upto Michigan, purchase an airline approved case for the firearms, declare the firearm(s) at the ticket counter, and fly home.   Check with the airline for specific rules and procedures.  I flown with United and American with firearms and had zero problems.

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:40:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I flew a couple of my Dads guns back from Nebraska the same way.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:46:04 AM EDT
[#8]
If they are his guns, couldn't he just have a family member FedEx them to him?  I was under the impression you can send your own guns to yourself, in care of others.  As long as those others are allowed to handle firearms.  

In Georgia, there is no registration requirement, unlike many other states, so there is no need for a formal declaration of how they came into state.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:14:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Mike,
That's kinda what I was thinking.
Maybe all I need to do is have Mom send them to me.........How would I find out the correct answer? Anybody?

archer2
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:28:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Archer2,

Since I have been selling so much stuff lately, I have had to do some research on shipping firearms and ammunition. According to FedEx's website either the person sending or receiving the firearm must be an FFL. In other words, your mom can't send the firearms to you because neither one of you is an FFL. Go to FedEx's website and in the search box type in "firearms" and it will give you a good summary of how to ship a firearm. It is also very expensive to ship handguns because they must be shipped "priority mail overnight" which isn't cheap. Long guns can be shipped ground, which is much cheaper.

The bottom line is.....the best way to get them here is to fly up and back.

My .02
Accountant
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top