Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2004 7:30:11 AM EDT
I'm trying to get a surpressor for my AR but Sherriff Butch Conway has had my Form 4's for 3 weeks now!

Does anyone know who else may sign.

BTW, Danny Porter is NOT signing.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:25:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Conway is your only hope as far as I know. From what I've seen and read anything under 4 weeks is consider a quick turn over for many local Sheriff's.  I've read where it can take as long as 6 months for some people to get CLEO sign offs.

Porter is a sorry excuse for a public servant.....He signed for me for many years and I purchased a couple of select fire weapons from out of state with the knowledge that he would sign. This isn't something I've heard, but something I know since I have a stack of form 4's that he signed for me in the past. The 1st gun comes in and I drop the typed/completed form 4 off at his office like I've been doing for years. A couple of days latter his assistant calls me on the phone and says that Porter wants to see  me. This didn't really seem that strange to me because in the past I've enjoyed several discussion reguarding select fire weapons with Porter. I was in for a big surprise.  

I arrived at his office at the appointed time and he meet me in the waiting room and he clearly had an attitude. He told me that signing these forms was taking up too much of his time, ect. He then told me that he'd signed the form 4 that I'd left a few days ago and he mailed it back to me. He said I would need to see Conway for any and all future signoffs. I asked him if he could sign one more since it was well known that Conway hadn't signed for 10 years and he said NO. This whole situation pissed me off. Porter had a chip on his shoulder reguarding form 4's in general.

A few days latter the UNSIGNED for 4 arrived in my mail box. This is the same form 4 that he told me he signed a few days earlier. I called him to discuss the forms that he told were signed.....It was like talking to a brick wall.

All this happened a few weeks prior to the election and Conway had a change of hart and he was signing. He turned my form 4's around in 2 days and personally called  me to let me know they were ready. I think that had something to do with good timing, luck and the looming election.  

Is Conway still signing? Your guess is as good as mine.

I guess I didn't offer much help, but atleast you now have a little history of the process in this great county.

TD
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:50:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Too bad Porter was rude. He did at least take the initiative to return my call to tell me he wouldn't sign.

As far as Conway goes, I just wish I'd get a straight answer if he's gonna sign or if he's not gonna sign. How much time does it necessarily need to take to sign two forms?

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:30:09 AM EDT
[#3]
are these the only 2 guys in gwinnett who can do it?
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:53:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:59:41 AM EDT
[#5]
The chief of police in the City of Lilburn will sign if you are lucky enough to live inside the city limits. The Chief of the Gwinnett Co. police won't sign. I contacted him right after Porter denied me. The are supposedly a few Judges that are permitted to sign, but I don't know of any that have actually signed.

If you happen to live inside an incorporated city in the county that'd be my next stop.

Don't give up on Conway just yet. He's still your best chance as far as I know.

BTW: I know Randy fairly well and he didn't have a clue about anybody that was signing when I had my problems with Porter. It would still be worth checking with him since something might have changed since then.

TD
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:50:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I just checked with Randy. He doesn't know of anyone either.

If I find someone, I'll post it here for future reference.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 12:03:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Do you have any friends in within the Lilburn City limits? If you do you might want to consider renting a room from them and establishing an addr. in the city. If you decide to go that route make sure and keep things on the up and up with a lease agreement, pay rent ect. You could do this with a friend that lives inside any county where the CLEO is NFA friendly.  

**I'm not a lawyer and I don't play one on the net, but I've heard of people doing this. You need to investigate all of the rules concerning a secondary residence prior to taking the above route.**

Forming a corp. would be my last choice, but you always have that option.

TD
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 12:54:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Forming a corp. would be my last choice, but you always have that option.

TD

That's what I'm going to do. I've been putting off getting incorporated and this just gave me another reason to do it.

No finger-print cards, no CLEO sig and you get "approved" in 30 days (says Kevin at AAC).

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 2:14:48 PM EDT
[#9]
guys, when azalin gets back up here from statesboro, i'm sure he'll see this thread and help you out.  chung lee once said he'd sign them, but he's a liar, and he won't.  azalin works with a lot of the gwinnett politicians, and knows who will do the deed, since he's had a few done.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:54:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Conway is a asshole.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:14:39 PM EDT
[#11]

chung lee once said he'd sign them, but he's a liar,

I know he said he would sign if elected to the Superior Court, but he lost the election. I don't "think" he's qualified to sign in his current capacity.

TD
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:18:38 PM EDT
[#12]
006, your sig is funny as hell.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:58:13 PM EDT
[#13]
chung is still a magistrate judge.  he COULD sign them if he weren't a piece of shit.  by the way, if you ever get on speaking terms with anyone who is legally able to sign a form 4, politely explain to them that the form is not asking for their permission for you to own it.  all they are saying if they sign it is that there are no laws, be they state or municipal, that prevent you from owning the firearm you're trying to get on the form 4.  there is no possible legal repercussion to the signer of a form 4.  they have no liability in the event of you going nuts with a machine gun in a mall or something.  in fact, they have an obligation to sign it.  i wish people with the money to sue would do so more often in cases like this.  someone needs to set a precedent with form 4's.  

oh, and i believe someone down at GBI headquarters on panthersville rd might also sign them.  i know azalin went there for something with his form 4's.  i'm pretty sure that's where he's had them all signed.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 3:58:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:34:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Chuck Severs of the GBI was a friend of NFA owners and signed form 4's. He retired about a year and his replacement signed for about 90 days then said no more under any circumstances. The GBI is a no go.

TD
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:36:12 AM EDT
[#16]
My form 4 came through on Saturday, went and picked the supressor on Sunday. I think the first transfer was started in January. The process is a pain in the ass even with a friendly CLEO.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 11:44:32 AM EDT
[#17]
why is this process to freaking hard?  I do not understand why they take the stance that they do when they know right well that for a few $$ you can incorperate and they can all go fly kites!

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 1:22:19 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
why is this process to freaking hard?  I do not understand why they take the stance that they do when they know right well that for a few $$ you can incorperate and they can all go fly kites!

Your not the only one scratching ones head on this mystery.

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:26:42 PM EDT
[#19]
So why don't we all create an INC. and each of us can be board members, set the bi-laws so that the board members have the right to carry, transport and house the registered "items" in their own homes? That would make for one hell of a board meeting each month as well, no?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:04:18 PM EDT
[#20]
As previously stated forming a Corp. would be my last choice.

There are sveral problems with corps. as I see them.

1. I view them a loop hole that could be closed at any time.

2. You must maintaine records for a corp.

3. You must file a tax return for the corp.

4. There are other minor problems as I see it, but I've listed the main probs. with them.

A corp. has a few unique advantage.

1. No finger print cards.

2. No LEO signature.

3. You have more options as who can legally posess the weapon, can ect.

4. Quicker approval on form 4's.

5. Again there are more, but I've hit the high spots.

If forming a corp. were the olny legal way I could own NFA items I'd set one up in a second. I thought I was going to be forced to go the corp. route on my last couple of transfers, but thanfully Conway had a sudden change of hart. I hope this change of hart wasn't temporary, but it's starting to look that way. I think this last pair of select fire weapons will be my last unless I run across a killer deal on something which isn't likely. This game has quckly went from something I enjoyed to a major pain the ass due to high prices and problems with the CLEO signature.

TD
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:17:11 PM EDT
[#21]
no, it appears as though butch has now decided NOT to sign form 4's.  one could speculate as to why he's had this sudden change of heart, but one of the more plausible theories is that it's a big "fuck you" to randy at bullseye, and kevin brittingham at AAC for openly supporting conway's opponent, stan hall, in the last election.  conway won, so now he may be trying to stick it to the both of them, since they both deal in NFA firearms here in gwinnett.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:42:24 PM EDT
[#22]

it appears as though butch has now decided NOT to sign form 4's

At this point is this a fact or speculation?

one could speculate as to why he's had this sudden change of heart, but one of the more plausible theories is that it's a big "fuck you" to randy at bullseye, and kevin brittingham at AAC for openly supporting conway's opponent, stan hall, in the last election.

I don't think they (Randy or Kevin) had anything to do with him not signing in his previous 2 terms. The only people that think Randy and Kevin are that important are Randy and Kevin.

I have been told be a reliable source as to why Conway is so hesitant to sign. If I ever make one of the shoots I'll be glad to tell anybody's that interested in person, but I won't go into it here.

TD
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 11:38:43 PM EDT
[#23]
yeah, like i said, i don't know the validity of what i was told.  however, azalin himself had a personal talk with butch, and explained the legal aspects of signing form 4's.  he will still sign form 4's for him, but not joe schmoe off the street.  that sucks for joe.  however, i consider azalin to be a good source, since he's the one that explained to butch why signing form 4's was not a bad thing.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:11:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Well I just got a call from butch Conways office (after a month!) to tell me he won't sign my Form 4's.

Damn, you sure gotta love this B.S.!

If I weren't getting my Can through my corp, I'd be really pissed!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top