Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2004 8:32:50 PM EDT
I tacked this onto the end of the Southern River Gun Club thread but I guess it got overlooked, and I've searched but can't find any info so sorry if it's a repeat...

Anyway, is it legal to just plink in the National Forests here in Georgia? I used to go down to part of the Oconee National Forest to just plink (and I picked up all targets BTW...) but I was told a couple years ago they had changed the rules and it was no longer allowed except for a quick sight-in before/while on a hunting outting. That true?? The free WMA ranges are nice but I'd love to just get some old fashioned laid back plinking done out in the middle of nowhere again... Especially if I had some nice steel targets since you can't shoot those on the WMA ranges... I can't seem to find a satisfactory answer on the Net, all I've found is about WMAs and only shooting on the actual ranges in those areas.  So are the National Forests scattered around off limits for shooting nowadays??
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 3:37:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:08:21 AM EDT
[#2]
This is is from a site regarding National Forest usage:

Also from another site regarding general use of firearms in National Forests:  
Firing a gun is not allowed: (1) in or within 150 yards of a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation site, or occupied area; (2) across or on a road or body of water; or (3) in any circumstance whereby any person may be injured or property damaged.

Now, having said that, I think the situation in GA may be a little different and I have not yet confirmed this, as it's an avenue I've just started looking down.   From what I've been told and also from what appears on some maps, the Forest Service has some sort of agreement with the state of GA to allow them to locate WMA's on National Forest Property.  Because the WMA's have their obnoxious little subset rules, this can change the allowed usage of the land.  The best thing to do would be to write a letter to the US Buereau of National Forests and try to get something back in writing.

Yeah, I know, good luck, right?  That's probably why I haven't done it yet.  Just about nothing short of a letter in GA would make me feel kosher about plinking in a National Forest.  In other states, that is NOT the case, especially out West when you get into BLM land.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:15:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Take your chances.... I have never been ticketed, but have been giving a warning. Depends on who you are dealing with. Had one game warden say he didn't give a damn as long as I was not  taking potshots at  songbirds etc. Has some asshat Forest Service people tell me I could hunt, but not just shoot. Was shooting my .22 this past January after squirrel hunting, wasn't like I was blazing away with my AK.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:13:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I"ve been shooting in Nat forest for about the last 5-6 years. I know of a spot that is about a 20 minute ride from nowhere and then you go about 3-4 more miles. It's up on top of a mountain and you can walk back for another couple miles. If someones parked around during hunting season, I don't shoot so as not to spoil their hunt, but if no ones around, I go up to the top of the hill, head back in a piece and set up some targets. I try not to shoot too much in the same place so it doesn't look well used. Once that happens it seems to attract idiots that end up tearing up the trees and making a mess of things. Seems like everywhere I go, stupid people tend to follow- seems like I'd change the places I go to lead the stupid people away.

My little spot allows me to do a bit of offroading- nothing serious, just unmaintained roads, with some good washes that should limit most cars and some trucks from making it too far.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:50:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I did some research last year and I too shoot in the National Forest. Do not destroy trees or any other feature. Do not litter (brass). Do not shoot into water. No Tannerite.  Slip in and shoot and slip out,watch the hunting seasons too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top