Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/15/2004 7:58:22 AM EDT
I think I may boycott CE because of the fines they've been giving out for "litering" (shooting clays, plastic bottles, etc.) and for other seamingly made up reasons. Shooting paper gets old pretty quick, IMO.

Has anyone been to South River? How does it compare to the FOP range?

Link Posted: 8/16/2004 2:18:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Rules are rules.  Members pay their membership dues to enjoy a clean, well kept range.  There are many activities (action type shooting) to keep most members and non members entertained.  Shooting plastic bottles and other objects does nothing for learning proper marksmanship.  Doesn't sound like you're a member anyway.  You won't be missed.  Adios.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 3:37:29 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Rules are rules.  Members pay their membership dues to enjoy a clean, well kept range.  There are many activities (action type shooting) to keep most members and non members entertained.  Shooting plastic bottles and other objects does nothing for learning proper marksmanship.  Doesn't sound like you're a member anyway.  You won't be missed.  Adios.

Tagged to respond to this bullshit later.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 4:08:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 4:49:23 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
ARstudent, with all due respect, the CE range breycor mentioned is a local DNR range funded by us taxpayers.  The rangers have gotten VERY much overboard with enforcing rules.  The "bottle" incident to which he refers cost a local ARFCOM member a ticket for littering.  The guy took a few shots at a bottle someone else had left downrange.  When the guy left, a ranger gave him a ticket for littering.  Many of us feel this is BS.  You may feel differently.

Rangers have also given out tickets for shooting clay targets on the 100-yard berm.  It sounds like you only like to punch paper from a bench rest.  If that works for you, then great.  In addition to shooting from a bench rest, many of us also enjoy off-hand shooting at other, more reactive targets.  You may feel (as you stated) that shooting other than paper “does nothing for learning proper marksmanship.”  I strongly disagree.  Case in point, I see lots of hunters who only shoot from a bench rest lose deer because their “training” does not emulate practical field shooting.

Anyway, welcome to the GA Hometown forum.  I see you are from TX.  You are more than welcome to post here and even come shooting with us if you are ever out this way.

Breycor, I’ve also been meaning to join SR, but just can’t find the time to do it.  It will happen though.

Beat me to it.  I didn't really feel like typing that much anyway.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 1:48:51 PM EDT
[#5]
After picking up tons of trash other shooters leave on the ranges I have belonged too.  I wish I could give a ticket to all the shooters ( I wanted to say morons) that  shot at stuff and leave the trash on the range for others to pick up.

I clean up the Pickens range at least once a week and it pisses me off that shooters are too lazy to pick up their trash.

Mike

BTW if you shoot bottles or cans at the South River Gun Club you will loose your membership.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 3:12:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I was up at the Pickens Co. range and spent 15 minutes cleaning up after other people. Especially some piggies who used the pistol range who couldn't pick up their discarded targets or paint cans. Rifle range was in better shape.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 3:33:17 PM EDT
[#7]

BTW if you shoot bottles or cans at the South River Gun Club you will loose your membership.

That's a negative. I spoke to them and asked if I could shoot clays and bottles (even glass) and they said you may as long as it's cleaned up.

Sounds fair to me....
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 4:05:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 5:15:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Shooting glass bottles is strictly forbidden at South River.  I sure hope you don't join.  You wanna shoot beer bottles? Go to the county trash dump.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 5:19:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Who pissed in your sock drawer?
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 5:37:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Shooting glass bottles is strictly forbidden at South River.  I sure hope you don't join.  You wanna shoot beer bottles? Go to the county trash dump.

So, your  post alludes to your being an official spokesman for South River Gun Club,  is this a correct observation?

It appears  Brycor actually talked to reps there and got an entirely different answer than what you are indicating.  

Also, you might want to actually visit a dump in the state of Ga, they are referred to as "Landfills" and "Recycling centers", all run by their respective counties with employees on site.  Absolutely no shooting allowed.  Texas may be different, don't know.  Never went to a dump in Texas.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:07:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

What is your deal? You seem very argumentative for no reason.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 1:56:56 AM EDT
[#13]

ARstudent
Post Number :: 22

TX, USA

Shooting glass bottles is strictly forbidden at South River. I sure hope you don't join. You wanna shoot beer bottles? Go to the county trash dump.

Yea, like he's been there!

archer2
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 2:28:32 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

ARstudent

TX, USA

Shooting glass bottles is strictly forbidden at South River. I sure hope you don't join. You wanna shoot beer bottles? Go to the county trash dump.

archer2

I hate trolls.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 3:22:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 3:39:33 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I think he's inviting us over to his house to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 5:11:54 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think he's inviting us over to his house to shoot.

Link Posted: 8/17/2004 5:13:57 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

What an ass...you have no clue, go away.

Someone certainly did piss in his mouth yesterday.

Uninformed, inconsiderate, clueless, rude asshat... does that cover it?

ETA... I forgot the comma between 'clueless' and 'rude'
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 5:56:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 9:02:06 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Let's all play nice.

Why?
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 10:05:29 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Let's all play nice.

Why?

[stomping out of the room]I dont wanna play nice[stomping out of the room]
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 1:19:56 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

ewe gradeeated from the 3rd grade?
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 1:23:41 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

ARstudent

TX, USA

archer2

Ever considered that I might have relocated since I signed onto this campfire?
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 1:42:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Well, you might consider changing your location from TX to GA.  Go to "edit profile" to do that

Oh, yeah, I was cited at CE back in 2000 or 2001 for "being on the range past closing time", which was 5pm at the time (winter schedule).  My friend and I had packed up at 4:45 and was picking up brass, getting ready to leave when the JBTs showed up (they didn't even have the courtesy of putting on an uniform...) and asked for my friend and my IDs, which we gave, since they were "LE"...  They cited us, saying that they have been observing us for nearly a half hour, to which my friend and I asked to see his watch/truck clock.  His only retort was "I saw you, and you were shooting past closing time" (ie "I'm "LAW-ENFORCEMENT/JUDGE/EXECUTIONER" and you are a second class citizen--how dare you question my authority!!!) and refused to show us the time.  Bear in mind that while this was going on, my watch, my friend's watch, and the two other guys who were there (they were being cited too) was showing 5 minutes after 5pm, and this was after they finished filling out 4 tickets!!!  I refuse to believe that they can come get our IDs, fill out 4 tickets, and lecture us on our offenses in less than 5 minutes (if the story that we were shooting past closing time can be considered accurate).  There was no way in hell that we could have been on the range after closing time.  I couldn't go to court on the specified date due to other obligations, so I had to eat the $80 ticket  I'll let you guys be the judge of whether this constitutes JBT-type actions.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 2:04:19 PM EDT
[#25]
From SRGC Rules:
"The rifle range is a fixed distance, paper target range.  Therefore, no cans, bottles, rocks, etc. may be used as targets.  Firing may only be done at fixed distances of 50, 100, 200, and 300 yards, except at scheduled matches or clinics approved in advance by Gun Club Manager."
southrivergunclub.com/memberrules.htm
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 2:47:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Times they are changing as space disappears. The old sand pits and places like them are becoming a thing of the past. People need to shoot following whatever the rules are were you go. To often I see people plinking crap on the ground and bouncing stuff over the backstop. Do not think for a minute that the more problems from shooters and complaints from people around the ranges that they will not shut them down. The more problems the rangers get the more they will want that part of their job to go away. The club I belong to here in Augusta just shut the IDPA matches down because of complaints from the landfill nearby of flyers going by. If you think shooting paper is bad what do you think not shooting at all will be like. If you are looking for something different because paper got boring try some local rifle or pistol matches around your area. It increased my enjoyment of shooting a hundred fold. Try to remember that everytime you pull the trigger that the future of this pastime depends on how responsible you are.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 3:04:57 PM EDT
[#27]
I would suggest that you get some steel targets instead of bottles, clays, etc. It's better marksmanship training anyway. When plinking, you never know if you hit the target or the ground underneath.

http://www.metaltargets.com/SpinningTargets.htm
High velocity rating is what you would need for 5.56mm
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 3:07:39 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
If you are looking for something different because paper got boring try some local rifle or pistol matches around your area. It increased my enjoyment of shooting a hundred fold.

Good idea. Thanks.

In the mean time, I'm going to Pine Hill shooitng club in Heflin, AL on Saturday. They DO let folks shoot clays, etc.

Can't wait...

EDIT: HeadHunter, thanks for the link. I've been looking for HV metal targets.

Link Posted: 8/17/2004 5:18:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Have the trolls come out to play in the GA forum or what?
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 5:30:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:12:12 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Somewhat.

I didn't realize how contraversial it was going to be to state that I'm going to avoid CE for a while and that I'm bored with paper.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 11:39:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Safe to assume that shooting at any steel target at CE or Wilson Shoals is a big fat no-no as I would imagine???
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 2:02:15 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Somewhat.

I didn't realize how contraversial it was going to be to state that I'm going to avoid CE for a while and that I'm bored with paper.

Well it shouldn't be contraversial.  You are entitled to you opinion.  Other people are entitled to there's as well but they dont have the right to flame your post just because they don't agree with you. All you said was you wern't going back for "x" reason and wanted some info on SR but these little asshats felt they needed to infuse their opinions on you.  And speaking of worthless posts that don't even begin to answer your original question(I think this is my 4th or 5th on this thread)mine wont either because I have never been to this range but I wouldn't mind a little get together with the GA members for a shoot.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 2:16:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 3:47:44 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ewe gradeeated from the 3rd grade?

<ahnold>Fuck you, asshole!<ahnold>

Why come in here and start shit? What the hell is wrong with you?
Go back to Texas, maybe they understand why you insist on being rude and inconsiderate, I don't think there's been an intentional troll on this board for a while.

Breycor asked,
"Has anyone been to South River? How does it compare to the FOP range?"
Here is where you decide to let everyone know you just have to follow rules and that "Shooting plastic bottles and other objects does nothing for learning proper marksmanship". you are completely and utterly wrong. I guess shooting from a rest is the only way, right?

Try not being a dick sometime. People will like you more and you'll get more respect on this board and in life.

If you don't need or want respect, you've come to the right place. You are doing a great job.

If you now live in GA you have lots to learn and with your attitude I personally don't want your kind around. I know your machismo is now damaged and you must flame back to defend your pride so go with it.

Then leave, you smell bad.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:14:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Book,

Where can we shoot steel targets???

Accountant
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:01:19 AM EDT
[#37]
You hillbillies were the first to use profanities, obscenities, name calling ? Not me.  So who's showing one's ass?
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:10:23 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
You hillbillies were the first to use profanities, obscenities, name calling ? Not me.  So who's showing one's ass?

Your right. So let me be the first to say. Get the fuck out of here asshole, your not welcome.

Edited to add: and asshole

Ill put it here so this thread wont BTT.  Go away ARstudent .If you have nothing constructive to add, stay out of this forum.  Were not here to feed the trolls.  I am done with you.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:21:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Ok guys, this was a decent thread, only you can prevent it from getting locked. If there is nothing more to add let's just let it die a peaceful death, mmmkay?

Oh, look what I have gone and done. I am a thread killa usually anyway.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:22:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Keep it up Jed Clampett.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:44:04 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Keep it up Jed Clampett.

Everything's bigger in Texas, even assclowns.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 2:17:56 PM EDT
[#42]
I am trapped. since I can not delete anymore I am stuck here forever when they lock it. Maybe  I will just put on a disguise.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 2:33:50 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I am trapped. since I can not delete anymore I am stuck here forever when they lock it. Maybe  I will just put on a disguise.

HEY! Who are you?!?! You're not from around here, are you boy?

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 4:35:59 PM EDT
[#44]
It's working.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:12:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Them sure are pretty lips! Squeal for me boy.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:36:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Holy $hit!!!!!! It's Ned Beatty!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:52:27 PM EDT
[#47]
While we're on the topic of ranges (cough, we are on topic right? lol), is it legal to just plink in the National Forests here in Georgia?  I used to go down to part of the Oconee National Forest to just plink (and I picked up all targets BTW...) but I was told a couple years ago they had changed the rules and it was no longer allowed except for a quick sight-in before/while on a hunting outting.  That true??  The free WMA ranges are nice but I'd love to just get some old fashioned laid back plinking done out in the middle of nowhere again...  Especially if I had some nice steel targets...  I can't seem to find a satisfactory answer on the Net, all I've found is about WMAs and only shooting on the actual ranges there.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 12:08:56 AM EDT
[#48]

Holy $hit!!!!!! It's Ned Beatty!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn my disguise did not work I'll have to try another one. A planet hopper that will do it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 1:49:47 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I think I may boycott CE because of the fines they've been giving out for "litering" (shooting clays, plastic bottles, etc.) and for other seamingly made up reasons. Shooting paper gets old pretty quick, IMO.

Has anyone been to South River? How does it compare to the FOP range?

I'm new to the area and this board pointed me to the CE range initially. I really enjoyed shooting there since it was well kempt and free.  however, it was never open on sunday so i looked elsewhere.  

I just recently joined South River Gun Club a few months ago and it is a very nice area for any type of shooting sports.  They have a 300 yd rifle range, shot/skeet, 50y pistol bullseye range and lots of action pits (worth the membership fee alone).  If you work out the membership fee, it comes out to about a dollar a day. Not to sound like a Sally Struthers commercial but that's a cup of coffee everyday.  

guests are allowed on the range for $10/day so that's pretty reasonable considering it's usually $10/hour at an indoor range.  guests are forced to sign a waiver so that makes sense in these legal times.

Anyway, if anyone wants to go out to the club sometime and you can behave yourself, i'd be happy to bring you out as a guest and let you see for yourself.

If it's helpful to you, I posted some pics of the club on my website:

http://www.pnguyen678.com/WebPage_TacStuff.html

Well, have a good weekend guys. Enjoy the sunny weather while it lasts!
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 2:20:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top