Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2004 5:48:20 AM EDT
If there's not a gunshow in your area where do you go to...

get what you need?

to browse inventory?

for good prices or best deals?

cause the shop owner/workers are cool to talk to and hang out?

cause they got black gun inventory...

or for what ever reason?

My typical shop stops are Shulers Deer Cooler in Lula, near Wilson Shoals range and 400 gun and Pawn.  Shulers has o.k. prices on some things, not so good on others. I usually use them for transfers. They only charge $20 and will give me a copy to mail with my $$.

400 pawn has a fair rotation of black rifles and I've gotten some good prices on guns there. I usually buy my gun powder there. They don't have a big selection of powders, but carry what I use, and the price is good.

I occasionally stop by Bernies in Lilburn area, but they don't have good prices compared to what I can find elsewhere.

About once or twice a year I head to Franklins in Bogart/Athens. While they have a huge selection, their prices are high. But it does give me the chance to check out my interests close (bolt guns and such- Sakos and Steyrs and Sigs have awesomely smooth actions, the Sako 60* bolt lift is sweet) and get a feel for the rifle without having to ask to see each one.

I'm wondering if I'm missing out on some good gunshops that might be local, just because I don't know about them.

Where do yall spend you gun money?

Link Posted: 8/14/2004 6:38:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I go to Barrows Automotive in Butler, Ga. Good people to deal with, some guns they sell are a little pricey, but they will wheel and deal with you.

I use to deal with Chucks Gun and Pawn in Warner Robins, Ga. but they are overpriced and they will also screw you the first chance they get. I would not buy a gun from them now if they were the last gunshop on earth.

There's not that many shops in Middle Georgia, so there's not much choice around here when it come to black rifles,
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 8:00:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Bernie's Sports, "Smokey Joe's"  or Southeastern Firearms.
(Lilburn/Gwinnett)
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 10:23:37 AM EDT
[#3]
get what you need?I hardly ever find what I need in Warner Robins.  I always have to drive a long distance...or I just order it online.  Chuck's is EVIL...Warner Robins gun and pawn is eviler(is that a word?)

to browse inventory?Smokey Mountain Trader on the square in Cleveland.  For a small shop they have a great inventory...plus they are cool 90% of the time.  The other 10% they are just busy and which is understandable

for good prices or best deals?It use to be that the The Bargain Barn in Jasper was THE BEST place in GA for a good deal.  After the original owner sold the business and they moved the business...prices went way up.  Now days I really don't know who has the best deal

cause the shop owner/workers are cool to talk to and hang out?Smokey Mnt. Trader.  They are just a bunch of gun nuts like us.

cause they got black gun inventory...SMT again...

I've been meaning to go try out Barrows Automotive...road trip anyone?  Starting from WR?
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 11:31:39 AM EDT
[#4]
treelander- I forgot about Smokey Mtn. A friend of mine is good friends with the owner and has been offered a job there. They are class 3 nuts as well. I was selling a rifle a few weeks back and had my suppressed bolt gun with me in the case and one of the guys was having a small fit to see it, and suggested I bring the guns back when his boss got back from lunch, that he'd try to talk me out of my can and rifle. They've got a pretty nice Isreali HBAR FAL in there that's on consignment, but I don't know enough about FAL's to know if it's a good one to have.
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 12:06:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 12:58:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I go to Franklins in Athens all the time.  I pass it on the way home from work almost every day.  They have a great selection of handguns, hunting rifles, and all sorts of stuff.   Their prices are higher than other places though. Georgia Outdoor Sports in Hull, GA (north of Athens) has much better prices and the people who work there are nice.
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 1:22:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
get what you need?I hardly ever find what I need in Warner Robins.  I always have to drive a long distance...or I just order it online.  Chuck's is EVIL...Warner Robins gun and pawn is eviler(is that a word?)

I forgot about Warner Robins Gun and Pawn, they are worse than Chuck's, and that broad that runs it  is crazy. When I am looking for a certain firearm I don't NEED YOUR OPINION on what I am looking for. Just say "yes, I have one" or "No, I do not". Don't try to sell me some junk by using the "Well, this model is just as good if not better than that one".  And don't even ask her about black rifles, she will treat you like you are a nutcase or a criminal.

I just bought a NIB  Ruger M77 MarkII All Weather 7mm Mag, from Barrows about three weeks ago, got it for $419.00 + tax out the door. It had the old style stock which I really like. Chuck's tried to sell me a USED one for $399.00, and wanted $569.00 for a NIB one. I just laughed in thier face and walked out.
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 2:52:00 PM EDT
[#8]
bass pro in Savannah  they don't carry much for the ar but everything else
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 3:10:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
treelander- I forgot about Smokey Mtn. A friend of mine is good friends with the owner and has been offered a job there. They are class 3 nuts as well. I was selling a rifle a few weeks back and had my suppressed bolt gun with me in the case and one of the guys was having a small fit to see it, and suggested I bring the guns back when his boss got back from lunch, that he'd try to talk me out of my can and rifle. They've got a pretty nice Isreali HBAR FAL in there that's on consignment, but I don't know enough about FAL's to know if it's a good one to have.

They are good guys.  They are in business to make money...but they are nice about it.  They do shows in Savannah, Gainesville, NATC, Farmers Market...most of the Eastman shows and a few GA mnt. IIRC.
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 3:38:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Inventory, Browsing - for guns see Adventure Outdoors in Smyrna, GA. Not many parts, but they have a nice selection of handguns.

I can't say any dealer around here has good prices, they are in the biz to make money. AO and Hot Shots nearby haven't given me any attitude. AO wants to let you handle the handguns. They know you will buy one. They have a good selection of used handguns and rifles too.

The worst in Marietta is Ed's Guns. I wish I'd never been there.

Link Posted: 8/14/2004 4:39:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 6:50:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Autrey's Armoury in Fayetteville. Ben will treat you right and his prices are very good not mention the range.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 6:55:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I go to Franklins in Athens all the time.  I pass it on the way home from work almost every day.  They have a great selection of handguns, hunting rifles, and all sorts of stuff.   Their prices are higher than other places though. Georgia Outdoor Sports in Hull, GA (north of Athens) has much better prices and the people who work there are nice.

I try to avoid Franklin's because they don't really pay me much attention when I go in just because i'm young(20), and they don't think I'm goig to buy anything.  They have some new AR's but you have to ask to see them so they can bring them out.  I've had great experiences with Ga Outdoor Sports in Hull.  They are always willing to help and have cut me a few deals a time or two and actually stock AR's on the shelf.  Picked up a glock on their cost day and saved about hundred dollars.  Hopefully they will do a transfer for me.
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 6:56:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Bookhound- I was trying to find The Gun Shop (with the smokey guy) to look at some CZ rifles, and found Bernies and asfter looking at thier goods, asked them for directions to The Gun Shop. Well, they don't exactly care for each other. Bernie's wife said the "Smokey" had told some customers that Bernie was dead and they were out of business. They did give me directions, but it was like asking about their arch enemy or something. They did tell me they'd meet any of his prices on CZ's.
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 9:02:48 PM EDT
[#15]
You guys that shop at Bernies need to check out MR. Pawn on Hwy 29. He's on 29 a few miles N. of Bernies in the old shopping center behind Wendy's at the Beaver Ruin intersection . He's a NFA dealer and will beat the pants off Bernie on ammo. He even has some transferables in stock for sale. He dosn't have as much junk to look at as Bernie's but his prices are much better and I'm sure he can order anything he doesn't have. He will also wheel and deal on prices. Some of his prices seem way out of line, but that can be said for any gun shop I'm aware of.

Chris, the owner is a good guy......

TD
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 7:38:13 AM EDT
[#16]

Wilmington Armory in Savannah (on Johnny Mercer Blvd) is good, especially for transfers and orders. The owner, Matt Sutton, is an ex LEO and a good guy. Savannah gun shops generally aren't great, or friendly, but he is an exception.

Link Posted: 8/15/2004 10:20:53 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I go to Barrows Automotive in Butler, Ga. Good people to deal with, some guns they sell are a little pricey, but they will wheel and deal with you.

I use to deal with Chucks Gun and Pawn in Warner Robins, Ga. but they are overpriced and they will also screw you the first chance they get. I would not buy a gun from them now if they were the last gunshop on earth.

There's not that many shops in Middle Georgia, so there's not much choice around here when it come to black rifles,

+1

I was very impressed with Barrow's Automotive, plenty of Czech rifles and Tikka's too.  Just watch your speed around Butler, the Po-Po there live for speeders!
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 2:16:02 PM EDT
[#18]
If you are around Douglasville, try Double Eagle Pawn on Hwy 5. Not a big selection, but they get some used stuff in from time to time. It's a local LEO hangout and a good place to sit around and shoot the breeze. Unlike some of the shops in the D-ville area, Phil and Stan will cut a good deal on used stuff.

Forrest Park Army and Navy has/had lots of AR stuff. Can't remember about the prices.

If you like C&R stuff there's a little shop on the square in Newnan. Can't remember the name used to have piles of Nagants and Mausers.

Gold Nugget Pawn shop in Carrollton used to carry a lot of C&R and used stuff. AR parts were pricey. Eddie Gaines USMC ret. is the guy to talk to.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 7:24:39 PM EDT
[#19]

If you like C&R stuff there's a little shop on the square in Newnan. Can't remember the name used to have piles of Nagants and Mausers.

I wonder if this is the place I'm thinking about on the squzre in Newnan? I have a friend that  lives in Newnan and he calls it the local gun musem. He said it's more like a musem than a gun shop. He took me there and I was amazed at the cases of pre-ban mags of all types.  That guys prices are crazy and from the looks of the place he still has some stock that he purchased in the 70's. He seemed like a nice enough man if that counts for anything.

TD
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 8:16:35 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I try to avoid Franklin's because they don't really pay me much attention when I go in just because i'm young(20), and they don't think I'm goig to buy anything.

Hehe, you and me both... you'd think it would be in their interest to help you... some ppl are just too stuck up, i guess
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 12:33:17 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Autrey's Armoury in Fayetteville. Ben will treat you right and his prices are very good not mention the range.  

That is one of the few places I've ever seen that stocks Les Baer and Wilson pistols The IPSC club I belong to recently moved there from GA Range and Guns. Their range is extremely nice for an indoor range.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 12:01:12 PM EDT
[#22]
I live about 1.5 miles from Adventure Outdoors in Smyrna, and not too far from Hot Shots. A.O. has a lot of inventory, guns and otherwise.

There's a place off of Jimmy Carter Blvd in Smoke Tree Shopping Ctr. ( was Bernies old address).
Hit 'n Run Guns. Owner is Phil Thomson. His is a great guy, I think. That's my offical hang out gun place because I like all the guys there. And he has LARGE inventory of black rifles, most RR's and A wall of Uppers.  These are good folks and their prices are good. He gives very fair trades as well.

Link Posted: 8/16/2004 2:21:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Bull's -eye in Lawrenceville.  Great selection of military style weapons, type III SOT (suppressors and machine guns), low prices, indoor rifle and pistol range.  Not much more I could ask for.

The Azalin
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 4:44:33 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
There's a place off of Jimmy Carter Blvd in Smoke Tree Shopping Ctr. ( was Bernies old address).
Hit 'n Run Guns. Owner is Phil Thomson. His is a great guy, I think.

Yup. That's the guy I call "Smokey Joe".
He always is friendly to me and I get a good deal here and there too.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 4:49:46 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Bull's -eye in Lawrenceville.  Great selection of military style weapons, type III SOT (suppressors and machine guns), low prices, indoor rifle and pistol range.  Not much more I could ask for.

The Azalin

I could ask for a better attitude. The 2 different times I was in there, both times with over $1500
to buy shit, they never gave me the time of day because I wasn't shootin' the shit with them
like one of their good'ol boys. Then, when I finally could break them away, they were total pricks.
I don't go there. Fuck'em.
I'd rather pay 200x more someplace else than spend 1 penny with those fucks.
I don't care if they were giving away $25 Full-Auto M-16s. Fuck'em in the goat hole.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:49:22 PM EDT
[#26]

I could ask for a better attitude. The 2 different times I was in there, both times with over $1500
to buy shit, they never gave me the time of day because I wasn't shootin' the shit with them
like one of their good'ol boys. Then, when I finally could break them away, they were total pricks.
I don't go there. Fuck'em.
I'd rather pay 200x more someplace else than spend 1 penny with those fucks.
I don't care if they were giving away $25 Full-Auto M-16s. Fuck'em in the goat hole.

I'm reciting this from memory so forgive me if I don't recall all of the details.

Now that's funny. I seem to recall you responding to a post I made some time ago reguarding your buddy "Smokey Joe". I said that I wouldn't go back in that place and the service was lousy, thier attitudes stunk worse than the smoke ect.....

You told me if I want a blow job or a something crude like that  I should look for another place to do business. If I wanted to buy a RRA lower for $XX.XX then "Smokey Joe's" was the place to go.... I guess you weren't offered any blow jobs or back rubs at Bulls eye.

I get good service at Bulls Eye, but thier prices are another matter.

TD
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 3:24:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 6:48:05 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I'm reciting this from memory so forgive me if I don't recall all of the details.

Now that's funny. I seem to recall you responding to a post I made some time ago reguarding your buddy "Smokey Joe". I said that I wouldn't go back in that place and the service was lousy, thier attitudes stunk worse than the smoke ect.....

You told me if I want a blow job or a something crude like that  I should look for another place to do business. If I wanted to buy a RRA lower for $XX.XX then "Smokey Joe's" was the place to go.... I guess you weren't offered any blow jobs or back rubs at Bulls eye.

I get good service at Bulls Eye, but thier prices are another matter.

TD

I'd say your memory is flawed. That wasn't me. Try again.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 6:49:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 8:17:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Oh well, I guess the old memeory isn't what it used to be

I searched for the thread to check the facts but couldn't locate it...

TD
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 9:24:42 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I wonder if this is the place I'm thinking about on the squzre in Newnan? I have a friend that  lives in Newnan and he calls it the local gun musem. He said it's more like a musem than a gun shop. He took me there and I was amazed at the cases of pre-ban mags of all types.  That guys prices are crazy and from the looks of the place he still has some stock that he purchased in the 70's. He seemed like a nice enough man if that counts for anything.

TD

That's OZ Cutlery. Bill's got so much stuff, I don't think he knows everything he's got. He even has distributors buy guns back from him and they resell  to other dealers. I think Lipsey's bought a bunch of SKSs from him a while ago. Bill can be grumpy and he likes to charge high prices.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 6:48:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Agreed.  OZ on the square can be treasure find if you want to spend some time rummaging abound the shop.  You just never know what you might find.  I have been able to surprise him from time to time with what I have dug out of that corner or under that last box.  But his prices are any whrere from "UMmm. to ACK. How much again."

But my fave shop to buy and BS is the ACE Hardware on Turkyfoot Rd on Newnan. (Hope that was not to shamefull of a plug.)

Where else can you buy a rifle, ammo and stuff to bulid and blow away in one stop.

Truely one stop shopping. MAN STYLE..

Buzz.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:21:54 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
It's actually sounds more like something the_reject would say.  

Tweren't me, either.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:52:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Bull's-eye has good prices on most of there pistol's and the actual rifles.  As far as accessories and such Bull's-eye is not usually the best place to go.  

I am partial to Bull's-eye because they have an indoor rifle/machine gun range.  

The Azalin
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:53:38 AM EDT
[#35]
The above was an error due to the fact that Footrat left himself logged onto my PC.

The Azalin
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:23:33 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
The above was an error due to the fact that Footrat left himself logged onto my PC.

The Azalin

So you're not Death, Stealer of Pies?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:33:10 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Agreed.  OZ on the square can be treasure find if you want to spend some time rummaging abound the shop.  You just never know what you might find.  I have been able to surprise him from time to time with what I have dug out of that corner or under that last box.  But his prices are any whrere from "UMmm. to ACK. How much again."

But my fave shop to buy and BS is the ACE Hardware on Turkyfoot Rd on Newnan. (Hope that was not to shamefull of a plug.)

Where else can you buy a rifle, ammo and stuff to bulid and blow away in one stop.

Buzz.

Turkey FOOT Rd???  How much did you and Delta drink? It's Turkey CREEK Rd.   Sheeeesh!
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 11:39:10 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Buzz.

Turkey FOOT Rd???  How much did you and Delta drink? It's Turkey CREEK Rd.   Sheeeesh!

My mistake.  Back home there is a Turkeyfoot Rd and Kings Creek Rd that intersect each other.

Well at least I got the turkey part right

Buzz.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 12:52:45 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

No comment.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 8:14:31 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No comment.  

Thanks Reject.

I was hoping that the peanut gallery would be quiet on this one.

Buzz.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:25:57 AM EDT
[#41]
I live in Smyrna so I'd get to Newnan coming down I-85 to one of the exits.
Would someone tell me how get to the square from an exit? I would like to visit OZ.

Thank you,
Jeff
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top