Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2004 4:03:23 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:08:33 PM EDT
[#1]
When children are around there is no question about what to do.  As much as they might not like it they have to either put it down or give it away.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:22:34 PM EDT
[#2]
It might look better in the upcoming civil suit if the dog was put down.  Lets just say, I hope there's no civil suit.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:31:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:32:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Put it down.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:38:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Time to do your own "Balistics Testing" with Q3131A.

~ s0ulzer0
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 5:08:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Suggest taking to shelter, or have it put down.  If it were my dog (not wife's or child's) and it bit me, (not snapped, but real bite)it would never see another sunrise.

I work with  animals daily, and consider myself their provider and protector.  But if one becomes dangerous to people, it is time to take it to "the sale" if livestock, or make it so it can never hurt another person.  

BTW it is against Ga. law to "put down" your own animal.  

SSS
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:21:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
BTW it is against Ga. law to "put down" your own animal.  

SSS

What if it's attacking?

~ s0ulzer0
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:25:27 PM EDT
[#8]
If it is attacking, it is open season, no bag limit; same as for terrorists.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:25:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Sorry to hear about the situation... It's always tougher with kids involved. I can make some general comments about it, not knowing all the specifics (i.e., talking to her myself). Usually, I recommend either euthanasia, adoption to a different home, rescue groups, or doing behavior modification. Behavior modification is (in my experience) hit-or-miss. Most owners don't feel right about adopting out a potentially dangerous dog. Rescue groups are sometimes very selective about the cases they take. That doesn't leave a lot of room if the preceeding situations apply.
My take on this is that your sister can't take the risk of having this dog around for multiple reasons... no matter what the cause is. I like animals, but I like people more. Here's a list of things that I've seen happen to people who have animals like hers:
Injuries to kids, visitors, and neighbors
Lawsuits
Loss of homeowner's insurance
Lingering guilt

Now, recognizing that all people are different in their thoughts about how to proceed, here's what I would suggest they do if they want to pursue any type of investigation for a cause or behavior modification:
Go to their vet. Get a physical/neurological examination. Give a thorough history. Make sure the Rabies vaccine is current. Get a complete blood count, profile, T4, and electrolytes.
If everything here is O.K., you need to get in touch with a board certified behaviorist (major Universities witha vet school usually have one).

Let me know if I can help or answer any other questions.
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:44:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 10:51:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 11:05:17 AM EDT
[#12]
That is quite interesting.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 5:14:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Indeed, quarantine is the rule because of the incubation period for rabies.
I've seen a grand total of one animal that was rabid- a bat in Alabama.

I hope that things turn out as well as is possible...
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 7:02:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Rabid animal.

Last year an 82 year old little old lady was tending her garden a few blocks from my home.  A fox (later tested positive for rabies) walked out of the nearby woodline and approached her and her dog in an aggressive manner.  The dog hauled ass for the house leaving the lil-ol-lady to defend herself.

She proceeded to pummel the fox unconscious with her cane.  A neighbor heard the commotion and arrived with a rifle, and shot the fox.

She commented later to the paper that the dog was pretty worthless as a guard dog.

Don't mess with them country Ga. grannies!

My understanding is large animal vets have the highest incedence of exposure to rabies, followed by  dairymen. So, if your cow appears to be choking, don't go sticking your arm down its throat (this really is the scenero).
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 8:05:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top