Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/18/2003 6:50:22 PM EDT
I just can't believe it, but our buddy ATLGA might lose his job tomorrow.  Supposedly a coworker (who hates his guts) saw him surfing ARFCOM and talking about guns on the phone while at work, and reported him to HR.  He had to meet with "the lady in HR that fires people", along with his immediate supervisor and a fucking SECURITY GUARD!!!  They sent him home without pay today, and said that the most likely "disciplinary" action would be termination of employment.  They told him that they will reach a decision tomorrow, though they've most likely already drawn their own conclusions.  Here's the sad part, their HR department didn't have any actual proof that he was doing what the coworker said he did, nor did they have any proof that he had actually done anything wrong.  Furthermore, since when does company policy disallow pictures on the internet?  Is the mere thought of "guns" a crime?  He has no previous record of any wrongdoing, and has never made any threats to anyone, at work or elsewhere; he can't even say the word "gun".  I just can't believe that this place has gotten so PC that they would terminate an employee on his first offense of looking at guns on the internet!  What the fuck has this fucking world come to?  Goddamned sheep.  Pray, pray hard for our buddy.  

Ghost
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 8:09:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I hate to see him lose his job, but perhaps he's better off not working there.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 8:59:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like where I work.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 9:06:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I hope they wrongfully terminate him and he comes back with a lawsuit that net's him his  job back (with back pay) PLUS millions of more dollars... AND causes the termination of the jackasses that led him down this road.

It's sad that this kind of shit gets started due to some pussy assed liberal POS!  [grrrrrrrrrrrr]

Companies won't get it until they have to shell out millions of dollars for stupid crap like this.

God speed ATLGA!
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 3:36:10 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I hope they wrongfully terminate him and he comes back with a lawsuit that net's him his  job back (with back pay) PLUS millions of more dollars... AND causes the termination of the jackasses that led him down this road.

It's sad that this kind of shit gets started due to some pussy assed liberal POS!  [grrrrrrrrrrrr]

Companies won't get it until they have to shell out millions of dollars for stupid crap like this.

God speed ATLGA!

Put your rage back in your pants, sailor.

Sad state of facts is that if they want to fire ATLGA, they can, and there will be no repercussions.  The employer and the guy that doesn't like him will say that all this fixation on guns by ATLGA felt like a credible threat of violence.  Sure, it's wrongful termination, but unfortunately not in the legal sense.

Best wishes, ATLGA - but if you don't get canned today, start looking around for newer greener pastures.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:21:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Sadly, the_reject is correct.  GA is a "voluntary employment" state.  An employer can fire you for almost anything.

Joel, I sure hope this gets worked out okay.  If you need anything call me.

IM in-bound.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:25:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Sadly, the_reject is correct.

Yeah, that's always a downer.  

GA is a "voluntary employment" state.  An employer can fire you for almost anything.
Yup.  My manager could come in and say "I don't like those shoes you are wearing.  You are fired." and that would be the end of that.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:37:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Sadly, the_reject is correct.

Yeah, that's always a downer.  

GA is a "voluntary employment" state.  An employer can fire you for almost anything.
Yup.  My manager could come in and say "I don't like those shoes you are wearing.  You are fired." and that would be the end of that.

I don't like the shoes you are wearing. It is fall and open toe is OUT!!

But seriously, good luck ATLGA, I would hate to think everyone at your job is so closed-minded to can you for talking/looking/thinking about guns. What did they all talk about during the DC Murder spree and now that the trial is going on?...morons.

Let us know if you need anything.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:47:14 AM EDT
[#8]
OR you could go to your grandfathers funeral and be told if you do go you will be fired.

THEN you could go back to the office, freak out at their insensitivity, not threaten anyone verbally or physically and have a warrent out for your arrest for Simple Assault that gets you 3 months probation.

I heard that can happen too!
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:03:21 AM EDT
[#9]
It makes me sadder than it makes me mad. The company will pat the C-cksucker on the back and everyone will think he or she did a great service to the company for turning in a terrorist.To own a gun and talk about guns and or our 2nd amendment rights is now taboo.Folks its really getting #ucked up .To think what we once was and now what we have become. The Babarians are at the Gate.WD
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:22:02 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The Babarians are at the Gate.WD

I'm pretty sure we can handle a couple animated elephant enthusiasts.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:29:39 AM EDT
[#11]
We are here for you Joel.
Let me know if there is anything I can do.
Hang in there.

ARH
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:35:17 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Babar...I get it.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:07:08 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Babar...I get it.

Welcome to my twisted world.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:12:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Ghost/ATLGA - any news yet?
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 8:50:11 AM EDT
[#15]
That sucking fucks!
Good Luck ATLGA!

~s0ulzer0
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 10:14:23 AM EDT
[#16]
where does he work?
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 1:26:21 PM EDT
[#17]
hope all is well.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 2:20:54 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Makes you think twice about talking to your "friends" at work.

<snip>

Reading this kind of thing puts a little job scare in me.

I know what you mean.  I very recently made the decision to not discuss politics, hot-button issues, or anything related to me and my personal hobbies at work.  It makes for an extremely boring work day, of course, but on the other hand, they always say that the tallest blade of grass gets cut first.  I try to maintain a low profile these days.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 2:43:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Yeah, it sucks when a co-worker goes paranoid-delusional, then raises the bullshit flag to get attention.  It sucks even more that I have to resort to changing my ways as a result of it, but I didn't like the anxiety over wondering whether or not the bullshit would stick, or just stink up the place for a while.  To survive, one must adapt, and as much as I'm not happy about it, I need this job to survive just a little bit longer.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 3:47:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Well, I think ATLGA has weathered the worst of the storm, for now.  His immediate supervisor spoke on his behalf, and the department has agreed to keep him on, for now.  Unfortunately, they have made it known that they are "watching him" and that they consider this the last infraction before his termination.  Not only that, but he also had to agree to periodic, random inspections of his vehicle by security to insure "safety".  I am greatly saddened by the current state of affairs, and have lost much respect for what I would consider a premier organization.  But, as of now, all is well, for the time being.  

BTW, in the event you guys are wondering why ATLGA dosen't just reply himself, he's home PC is temporarily non-functional, so I'm conveying the news.  Also, if anyone knows of any IT companies looking for personnel, ATLGA is a MCSE certified person, with lots of skills, or so he says.  

Ghost

Edited to say that: "oops, I said a little more than I should have"
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 3:52:29 PM EDT
[#21]
He is an IT guy and his comp is temp down?  That doesn't seem right.  Well just had to joke sence things didn't go too bad.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 3:53:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Well, I am both happy and sad, relieved and pissed, you get it. Are you gonna hold his 'stash' in your car while at work?

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:27:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Well, his 'puter being down explains why he didn't respond to my IM.  A lot of us are IT guys.  Maybe if Joel could post kind of a psuedo resume on the board we could all be on the lookout.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:34:45 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
.....Supposedly a coworker (who hates his guts) saw him surfing ARFCOM and talking about guns on the phone while at work,

Memo to self.  Don't engage in prohibited activities while at work.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:33:28 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Well, I think ATLGA has weathered the worst of the storm, for now.  His immediate supervisor spoke on his behalf, and the department has agreed to keep him on, for now.  Unfortunately, they have made it known that they are "watching him" and that they consider this the last infraction before his termination.  Not only that, but he also had to agree to periodic, random inspections of his vehicle by security to insure "safety".  I am greatly saddened by the current state of affairs, and have lost much respect for what I would consider a premier provider of pediatric healthcare.  But, as of now, all is well, for the time being.  

BTW, in the event you guys are wondering why ATLGA dosen't just reply himself, he's home PC is temporarily non-functional, so I'm conveying the news.  Also, if anyone knows of any IT companies looking for personnel, ATLGA is a MCSE certified person, with lots of skills, or so he says.  

Ghost

Just tell him to log in at work and say whats up!  

OK Im just kidding!  Fuken Natzis!

Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:36:46 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
.....Supposedly a coworker (who hates his guts) saw him surfing ARFCOM and talking about guns on the phone while at work,

The problem is "surfing" is NOT prohibited for him.  Looking at gun sites is frowned upon.  If he was reading something on MSNBC it would not have been an issue.  Joel works at a [PLACE] run by liberal assholes.

Edited to comment out his place of employment.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:55:42 PM EDT
[#27]
I hope everything is OK with ATLGA.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:26:40 PM EDT
[#28]
OK, guys, I inadvertantly let slip that ATLGA works in a healthcare facility of some sort, when I should not have.  He has asked me to keep that under wraps for now, and I slipped up.  Hopefully, he'll be on soon and either let it all out.  Anyhow, its good that he still has a job.  

Ghost
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 8:15:27 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The problem is "surfing" is NOT prohibited for him.  Looking at gun sites is frowned upon.  If he was reading something on MSNBC it would not have been an issue.  Joel works at a [PLACE] run by liberal assholes.

Then he should have known better.  Surf at home.  I do not do anything non-business related at work for that reason.

Edited to comment out his place of employment.  Hope you don't mind.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:00:13 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then he should have known better.  Surf at home.  I do not do anything non-business related at work for that reason.

Michigan. Where the men are men and the sheep are nervous.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 7:52:39 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Michigan. Where the men are men and the sheep are nervous.

This time of the year, don't forget the deer! Our cyber Nazi's are just as bad.  It still does not stop us from going shooting during lunch at the local indoor range.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 10:01:10 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Some people work at places where they don't have to bust their ass for every second of their eight hours.  Some jobs have down times where there is literally nothing to do but stare at the screen occassionally, like my job, for example.  Thank goodness for AR15!

Beetle
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 11:56:27 AM EDT
[#33]
What is it that he done that's so wrong? Was it against company policy to surf the net?? Or was gun sites a restrict, taboo sight policy of this company?? Is  even the simply word ( GUN ) banned at this place??? I know we live in a *ucked up society, where you are labeled if you own a gun there something wrong with you but this is really silly.I feel for ya Atlga . Can you even buy gun magazines and bring them in to read while your on break????? Is all HOPE LOST???????  PC world is a JOKE .WarDawg
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 12:27:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Man, that's the kind of thing that'd make a guy go nuts and shoot up all his coworkers.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 7:22:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Hey, I'm a router/switch guy but my employer is looking for a/some good server admins, etc. in N Gwinnett.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 3:11:13 AM EDT
[#36]
See that's the kind of help I'm talking about.  Where are you in Gwinnett?  I live in Buford and work in Norcross.  There are several other geeks in the GA gang.  I'm a C++/Java architect and programer.  Use to do lots of hardware integration and networking, but its been a few years.  I leave that stuff to the_reject and s0ulzer0.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 5:48:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Hey thompson,

How much pay, experience req?  No certs, but pretty handy with building my own computers.  Get in trouble a bit with me goin overboard sometimes.

Last one I built:

Custom made case (13 case fans, plus power supply fan)
600w power supply
Abit Kr7a-133 RAID MOBO
AMD 2000+ w/ Thermaltake Volcano 7+ cooler
2 80gb Seagate Barracudas in RAID 0
GForce FX5200
Sound Blaster Audigy Platnum 2 Dolby 5.1 (On The Way)

Thought about overclocking it, but decided nah, don't need to drive crystal nuts with constant fiddling.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:08:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Jeeese Delta, that thing have a seat belt?
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:29:00 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Thought about overclocking it, but decided nah, don't need to drive crystal nuts with constant fiddling.

What's this about Crystal's constant fiddling with your nuts?  
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:49:07 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Custom made case (13 case fans, plus power supply fan)

No wonder you work for an airline.  It sounds just like home!
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 1:28:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Bad thing is I finished building this back in January as a budget gaming platform.  I'm thinking the next rig will be a P4 4.2 GHz rig running about at 35% overclock for 5.7 running GHz and running a Vapor Cycle CPU Cooling Case.  I'm starting to sound like the Bradd_D of the computers.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 5:43:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Everyone - I was dead serious about having several technical positions open. These positions are with a MAJOR company, not some small mom-n-pop (not that there is anything wrong with mom-n-pops, but this is big time corporate stuff)

Anyone interested in working in N. Gwinnett/Lawrenceville area with any/all/additional of the following, let me know:

Routing/Switching (we are currently a Nortel shop, but Cisco/Extreme/other exp a plus, if you understand the technology, we can teach you the platforms)
Firewalls
VPN
MS Server Admin (DNS/DHCP/WINS)
Exchange
MS 2000, 2000 Server, XP
SQL
UNIX/Linux/HPUX
Avaya PBX/Telephony

as with any technical position, experience is required and certifications a plus.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 8:11:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Your company doesn't need anybody in Augusta do they? I am a truly hotshot Telephony guy, severaly years as a senior/lead Tech, mostly central office, but plenty of PBX/Key system of experience as well. I have worked more Nortel stuf than anything else, but am familiar with just about any other major manufacturer out there. I am currently doing contract work for a big wireless outfit, and looking for something permenant, but at this point I am making enough money and keeping busy enough to be able to cringe at the thought of living in the ATL area.

Edited to add: As far as this thread is concerned, my last full time employer (a mega large telephone company, the one whose CEO stole enough money to wipe out world hunger), was probably as liberal as they come, but in our office we were absolutly pro gun. I purchased a couple of AK's from a sales engineer, he brought them in and we both handled and fondled them on the big table in the conference room in the middle of the work day, and me and the manager used to occasionally take pistols out and shoot cans by the railroad tracks behind the shop (from time to time we had periods such as the christmas and mothers day moratoriums in which we had nothing to do but go out back and pop off a couple of boxes), much fun was had, we also kept a grill in the garage, and burgers and steaks in the break room fridge (the resident vegitarian was told if she didn't like it she didn't ahve to eat it).
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 6:47:18 AM EDT
[#44]
No, unfortunately there are no opportunites in Augusta. Our corporate headquarters is in ATL. I very nice campus in Lawrenceville. Added benefit is that it is only a few miles from Bullseye, so lunch time and after work shooting is possible!!!
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 11:35:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Alright fellas Im at my folks house using their PC. I have an old old laptop at home but dont like having a PC in my house bec I work on them all day long. Ill have to get one this weekend because I cant surf at work anymore.
  I wanna say thanks to everyone for all the support. I just read through the thread and its really great to see everyones comments. Im going to be sending out my resume to anyone here who thinks they can help me out. I really need to get out of this current job. I know that may sound lame to somebody that does not have a job already but I just cant stand it anymore.  I am concerned they may try to drum me out of the company.... ill give details about everything at the next meet.  Till then Im gonna just revamp my resume and then log back on in about 30 min. ...its 330 now on sat.
  Thanks again fellas!!!
 Joel T.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 11:50:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Like I said earlier, make no mistake - they ARE out to get rid of you now.  You owe a beer or eight to your supervisor for sticking his neck out.  Just keep a low profile, and you'll weather the storm.

Best of luck in finding greener pastures, Joel.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 1:04:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Ok I just emaild my resume to thompsondd. If anyone else sees openings at their company please let me know and Ill send it to ya. If you are just curious to see if I do have any skills :) just let me know and Ill send it to you also .... minus my home address.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 3:51:18 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Sadly, the_reject is correct.  GA is a "voluntary employment" state.  An employer can fire you for almost anything.

Joel, I sure hope this gets worked out okay.  If you need anything call me.

IM in-bound.

I'm not so sure about it.  When we were still Lucent one guy (who happened to be homosexual) was fired.  He pressed charges saying he was discriminated and not only got the job back but also a compensation and the boss was reprimanded, despite having fired him because of simple headcount.

However, presently, the company became an anti-gun place and even if we want, access is blocked to any website they and a company called Websense consider "not appropriate".  It seems that it is legal to ban access access to websites.  Therefore, if it was made clear that such websites could not be accessed they may have a case.   But I believe they should have to prove it, no?  Maybe using some kind of tracking software in their web servers?

Link Posted: 11/24/2003 3:41:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Filtering that sort of content (firearms) would be hard to justify where I work when you consider that my employer publishes several gun related magazines
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 4:52:38 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top