Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2003 10:22:55 AM EDT
in the Marietta/Smyrna/Austell area. Anybody know someone reliable and cheap? I will settle for reliable. Prolly gonna go with the GE factory guy if not.

Thanks,
ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 10:34:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Use my AK dude...
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 11:05:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I might have a good target for this weekend if it is un-repairable. Got a trailer?

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 11:26:59 AM EDT
[#3]
How old is the refrigerator and what is the problem?

I'll tell you I've had my last service call by Sears.  They sent some Mexican guy who could barely speak English to fix my dishwasher.  I had already taken the dishwasher apart and had identified the broken piece on the motor.  When I setup the appointment I told the CS rep. I needed a motor replaced on a XXX model dishwasher.  The repair guy didn't have the part with him, needed help from ME to take the motor out and I still got charged for the "service" (I use the term loosely) call.  For the cost of replacing the motor I was better off getting a new machine anyway.

Clark Howard had a segment a few months ago about a local place that had TONS of complaints against them for ripping people off.  Might want to check his web-site.  

Keep in mind Best Buys, Circuit City, etc. all have X-months "same as cash" deals if you end up buying a new one.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 3:51:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, all my efforts were for naught. 8-ish years old, not cooling. I searched the net and Arfcom and my DIY powers are useless. I placed a service call with GE, they have a local 'shop' and online sign up! Earliest appointment is Wednesday. We will see how it goes. Wish me luck.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 4:11:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Is the compressor kicking in?

Because if it isn't, you might want to entertain the idea of cancelling the service call and buying a new fridge.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 4:29:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Yup everything is running. I suspect the defrost timer/relay is bustificated and is staying on. I tried locating it but it was buried under many layers and screws. I am smart enuff to know when to call the pros. Thanks for all the input guys.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 5:04:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd still buy a new one.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 5:39:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'd still buy a new one.

You'd drop 500 bucks on...
THE GROUND too!!!

Man I just could not resist. You just made my night and it is really sucking!!! Thank you!!

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 6:35:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Yup everything is running. I suspect the defrost timer/relay is bustificated and is staying on. I tried locating it but it was buried under many layers and screws. I am smart enuff to know when to call the pros. Thanks for all the input guys.

ByteTheBullet  (-:

Well, shot compressors are where I draw the line on refridgeration unit repairs.  Since you don't have a bad compressor, it will certainly be more cost-effective to have it fixed.  Therefore, I recommend that you do not listen to Bookhound's recommendation.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 6:38:37 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Well, shot compressors are where I draw the line on refridgeration unit repairs.  Since you don't have a bad compressor, it will certainly be more cost-effective to have it fixed.  Therefore, I recommend that you do not listen to Bookhound's recommendation.

Why thank you kindly.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 3:31:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 4:24:27 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Pics!  Must see camo job!
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 3:29:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Well guys, turns out it was the compressor after all. Over $400 to repair...I don't think so. Getting a new side-by-side delivered in the morning. Anybody want a frige to shoot up? You gotta come get it or supply me with a trailer to tote it. You've got til tonite to claim your target! They are taking it with them in the morning.

Uh, no BookHound, you were not right, you just guessed good.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 3:43:34 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Well guys, turns out it was the compressor after all. Over $400 to repair...I don't think so. Getting a new side-by-side delivered in the morning. Anybody want a frige to shoot up? You gotta come get it or supply me with a trailer to tote it. You've got til tonite to claim your target! They are taking it with them in the morning.

ByteTheBullet  (-:

Make sure you get the stainless!

Edit: You should have tried to pass off the Bookhound funny-money.  You could've got change back, too!
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 4:13:55 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ByteTheBullet  (-:

Make sure you get the stainless!

Edit: You should have tried to pass off the Bookhound funny-money.  You could've got change back, too!

DOH, wrote a check...crap. Oh, and stainless, ewww.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 7:39:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Byte, I'm SO sorry.  Wish I was wrong.  Need anything?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top