Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2003 1:27:51 PM EDT
Any of you guys build AKs?
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 1:32:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Nobody I know of in GA build AKs.  However if you go over to the AK section of this board a lot of people will recommend Troy Sellars of InRange. www.inrangec2.com  Expect to wait 2-4 months, but I have heard absolutely no complaints.  Also he's pretty local.  He's up in Kodak, TN.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 1:47:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Anyone try to build an AK out of the pre-bent receiver blanks?  I saw some for sale, and was wondering if this is going to be hard.  

Ghost
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 3:19:03 PM EDT
[#3]
an AK allthough simple to operate, and set up for manufacture, it is one of the more difficult homebuilts.  For one thin you need to press the barrel into the trunnion with a hydraulic press, rivet the trunion into the reciever, then check headspace.  Getting up to that point, I'd leave it to Troy Sellars to do the whole thing.  I really can't see buying 1500-2000 dollars worth of equip just to make one 350 dollar rifle.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 6:51:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I build FALS and got all the tools to do them. Headspace gages, receiver wrench, Gunplumbers video and book, parts kits, on and on. Money. I got a Hungarian AMD-65 parts kit in mint condition. I dont' want to have to get another bunch of stuff to do one build-Press, rivet inside the receiver tool, headspace gages, blah on and on- more money. It takes this stuff to keep your face intact. May have to pay someone with the right tools. Thanks, it may be the smart thing to do, pisses me off though, nothing like holding a rifle you built up to your face and pulling the trigger, do it wrong and get the bolt in forehead syndrome.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 7:05:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Hi 006,
  Go to Roderus Custom Gunworks http://www.roderuscustom.tzo.com/
   They've got a forum just for AK builders.
Robert.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 7:12:57 PM EDT
[#6]
The receiver blanks have to be bent with like a 24 ton press on a special die, then the side rails have to be welded on, No FFL. A receiver can be bought ready to go for $60. FFL.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 12:31:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I was thinking about one the AMD 65 from FAC for a winter project this year.  From what I understand the barrel is already pressed in the trunion on this model and you can install it on the received with some tap'n and thread'n and use case hardened bolts.  I build FAL's too and it cant be that difficult to build an AK clone.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 1:04:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm thinking about screws too, at least until it can get rivited.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 2:30:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'm thinking about screws too, at least until it can get rivited.

True, like you said the receivers are cheap too.
hhhmmmmmm
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 5:06:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I started a tread over on the FALfiles about this and created a shit storm. Gunsmith and build it yourself. Posted yesterday and figured a couple of replies-had a heated discussion of 34 replies in 24 hrs. nearly locked.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 5:47:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, that was almost a virtual fist fight, very good reading tho.  It did give technical data on screw and tap size that one would need.  I think I'm gonna build one this winter.  It'll be the cheapest rifle I've built to date too.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 6:28:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Me too!
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 7:30:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Get that kit , they are going!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top