Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2003 8:32:35 PM EDT
I picked up a new Kimber Tactical Pro II today from our fellow member Mark.  Great pistol, only complaint is it only came with one magazine.  Any suggestions for extra magazines (8 rd capacity)?  What brand is most reliable, pricing, etc.  Thanks.

Scot
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 3:19:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I took the advice of many on here and went with the Wilson's.  They are a little more expensive, but I think worth it.  I got mine at MidwayUSA.

These are the 8-round mags:

www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/644241

And here are the 10-round mags:
www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/119904

The 10-rounders, of course, stick out the bottom of the mag well a bit.

The Chip McCormick mags seem to be okay as well and are a little cheaper.  Quite frankly, when I got my Kimber I was asking the same question you now ask and most people viewed the Wilson's as the best.

That being said, there are several guys who have used surplus GI mags with great success.  When I got my Kimber, the store also had some extra Kimber mags for cheap.  I can tell a big difference in the Wilson mags compared to the Kimber ones.  The followers for one are much better.  The springs also seem better/stronger.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 3:25:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Wilson

The design of the feed lips and follower makes them much more reliable with hollow points.

Get the black ones with the steel bases.  Ive seen the occassional plastic base pad crack when doing reloads over concrete firing lines.

Link Posted: 9/23/2003 3:26:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Ditto, like I'd choose some other brand....

Mike
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 3:55:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 2:05:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks it looks like Wilson gets the vote.  Obvious guy asks the next question - Where to find the best deal?  

Scot
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 2:38:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Scot,
I have a couple of Metalform stainless full-size 7 rd mags with round followers.  Kimber factory mags are Metalforms without the round follower.  They are in like new condition.  If you're interested, I'll let ya have 'em both for $40 delivered.

Thanks,
Bradd
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 3:08:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Scot,
I have a couple of Metalform stainless full-size 7 rd mags with round followers.  Kimber factory mags are Metalforms without the round follower.  They are in like new condition.  If you're interested, I'll let ya have 'em both for $40 delivered.

Thanks,
Bradd

I'm beginning to think this guy would sell his own mother if he thought he could turn a profit.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 3:36:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Scot,

Thanks,
Bradd

I'm beginning to think this guy would sell his own mother if he thought he could turn a profit.  

$100 and she's yours...
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 6:07:38 PM EDT
[#9]
WARNING! This thread has been hijacked by the_reject, Bradd_D and his mother.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 6:10:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Scot,

Thanks,
Bradd

$100 and she's yours...

Link Posted: 9/23/2003 7:48:13 PM EDT
[#11]
If you buy those Metalforms, they will give you a discount if you buy 10 or more.  I have some black Metalforms that I bought in a group buy for maybe $10 a piece.  The original price was $18.  Check 1911forums.com for the group buys.  

Ghost
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 3:13:20 AM EDT
[#12]
I got mine from MidwayUSA (the link I posted) and they were about equal with everyone else I found.  Their service is great.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 4:28:27 AM EDT
[#13]
You can buy Wilson Combat mags direct from wilson's.  AR-15.com is one of their addresses IIRC.

Wilson mags have a lifetime warranty, McCormac mags have a 1 year.  I have thrown away several McCormac mags due to unreliable feeding (that is when I found out about their warranty policy), use only Wilson's now.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 11:51:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Hey, Bushmaster-M4gery, I found my 6 Metalform mags that I bought in a group buy.  All of them are new, never used, black steel mags, with bumper pads installed, 8 round capacity.  Three have their orange plastic followers and three have flat metal followers (I wanted to try both types, who knew I would sell the Kimber before I received the mags).  If you are interested, I would be willing to trade for something.  

Ghost
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 11:53:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Ghost, sent you an IM.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top