Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2003 10:39:29 AM EDT
Q: Is there such a thing as a high quality 'hobbyist size' milling machine?  Goal is to do various gunsmithing type millwork, like sight cuts and frame work on pistols, etc.  

Also: I'm planning on taking some courses on how to mill, etc.  Was looking at West Central Tech's curriculum.  Any recommendations here would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 11:08:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, a mid-size machine like my Grizzly G3101 is good for non-commercial stuff.  I wouldn't want to go any smaller, but not everyone has the room for that much machine.  There are a lot of people who do some gunsmithing on the various mini-mills from Grizzly, Harbor Freight, etc.

If the mid-size is too big, consider at least a bench top mill -- they're not much bigger than the mini-mills, but will be a lot more versatile.

A fantastic resource for what you're looking for is the Roderus Custom site.  Check out the forums and you'll find a mountain of valuable information.

Grizzly G3101:

Here are a few other links:  Sherline, Taig Tools, LittleMachineShop.com
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 2:10:40 PM EDT
[#2]
A milling machine?

Jeesh, Allen, now you will be able to really screw something up. [Tim the Toolman]"I think that I can shave off just a little bit more. ARRGG, ARRGG, ARRGG [Tim the Toolman]

Seriously, I can't wait for you to get a new toy for the gang to play with.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 2:52:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I just knew this thread was going to be about machining the perfect target stand.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 2:53:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought an ARMS 36 (is that the right number zzxx99?) from him that he had "modified" to use with an ARMS 40.  After putting the ARMS 40 I bought from Bradd on the rifle with the rail, it's easy to see zzxx99 has some skill.  Lord knows what he'll be able to do with a milling machine.  The boy has some talent.

Link Posted: 9/22/2003 5:15:54 PM EDT
[#5]
BlammO;
Thanks for the link.  The Roderus site is exactly what I was looking for.  I spent 2 hours reading there this afternoon. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, compromising on tools is a bad idea.  I think I'll need to learn a bit more about it before I jump in.  Hopefully the vo-tech school is good.

chain, P806:
You're both the kid that always touched the wall with the WET PAINT sign on it, weren't you?

Book,
Thanks, that was a Dremel/file job.  I bet with a mill it woulda been done a lot faster <sigh>.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 5:35:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Due to space I bought a Sherlin Mini-Mill and lathe.

www.sherline.com/tools.htm

It is great for pistol smithing and model work but I still aspire to a Bridgeport.

I milled the Novak dove tails for both of these:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top