Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2003 4:38:06 PM EDT
Man, I hate my car right now.  Its been in the shop twice in the last couple of months, with two different problems.  I've spend the better part of a month's pay on it.  Now, it intermittently decides not to start, and on my way home, my AC conked out.  So I had to drive home with the hot ass sun beating down on me, all the while fuming and pondering just how good it would feel to get out my AR, load up a 30, and blast the mofo.  UUURRRGGGGHHH  Well, now for the question: does anyone of you know of any good, independent mechanics that service Dodge cars?  I usually go to the dealership; they are pretty good, perform the work well, but they are really expensive, and the repair bills are seriously cutting into my gun money.  Any thoughts, ideas, theories, experiences, support, donations?  

Thanks in advance for letting me rant

Ghost

p.s.  someone watch the news, I just may be on it later..."this just in...a man has just shot his own car on I-75 with some kind of automatic assault weapon [insert AK-47 graphic here] Marietta PD and SWAT are on scene to defuse situation...more to come as we get updates"
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 4:22:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I had to drive to Columbus, GA and back 4 times this past week.  Tuesday when I was gone the "check engine" light came on in my wife's car.  Coming back from Columbus the same light came on in my car.  Both cars ended up in the shop (one on Thursday, one on Friday).  Problem ended up only being some damn sensor/valve.  I feel your pain.

My mechanic is a great guy, but he's up here in Buford.  Let me know if you want a mechanic up this far and I'll send you his info.  He's the only mechanic I've ever totally trusted.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 4:59:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 8:12:11 AM EDT
[#3]
This guy has done some work for me in the past...including the head gasket.  Very reputable in this area.

Jerry at Ledford's Automotive
271 Atlanta St SE
Marietta, GA 30060
(77) 422-1144
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 9:09:39 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
This guy has done some work for me in the past...including the head gasket.  Very reputable in this area.

Jerry at Ledford's Automotive
271 Atlanta St SE
Marietta, GA 30060
(77) 422-1144

I know Jerry. He is very trustworthy. I would not hesitate to use him.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 9:54:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the responses guys.  Bradd_D, do you know if Ledford's automotive does air conditioning system work?  

Ghost
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 10:21:24 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thanks for the responses guys.  Bradd_D, do you know if Ledford's automotive does air conditioning system work?  

Ghost

Whatever they don't do they contract out so you can pretty much get anything done there.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 4:51:33 PM EDT
[#7]
You know when they open?  How are their rates?  Will they be able to drive me somewhere if I drop off my car there?

TIA

Ghost
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 7:10:21 AM EDT
[#8]
My
Old
Plymouth
Ain't
Running

Link Posted: 8/25/2003 6:16:11 PM EDT
[#9]
In case anyone is interested I'm selling my Toyota Corolla '85 hatchback.  It's complete, with working air conditioning, cruise control, alloy wheeels, etc.

Never let me or my wife down.  She used it during her college years until today.

Cheers!

Link Posted: 8/26/2003 7:39:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, here's an update on my car.  Milton at Ledford's automotive is going to have to change out the starter to correct the intermittent not-start problem, to a tune of $310.  The AC problem is due to a cracked evaporator, which is going to be steep.  Woe is me.  This darn car, its really cutting into my gun money.  If it weren't for this, I would be getting my Aimpoint in the first of September.  Pity pity me[>(], anyone want to donate me one?

BTW, ARFcom is better than a shrink.  I can tell you guys stuff, and it helps to keep me from doing something really stupid...

Ghost
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 7:48:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Sell the Dodge as soon as you can and get something that's more reliable and cheaper to maintain.

Seriously.  Dodge (well, Chrysler in general) just isn't making all that reliable a vehicle these days, except for the Ram series pickup trucks.

I'm afraid the good old days of a simple pushrod V8 engine in a roomy engine compartment, with a bunch of accessories that are all well under 100 bucks each when you have to replace them, are just about over.   I don't think you're going to get back into that wonderful land of simple and cheap auto repairs unless you want to drive some vintage Detroit iron.

So, choose something that's reliable, economical, and confortable.    I'd recommend maybe a Toyota Camry (with the V6...it's powerful enough to be a lot of fun, actually!) or a Honda.

I would NOT choose any car with a 10 year warranty, on the theory that the car sucks so bad that the only way the manufacturer can sell them is for them to promise to fix the POS for free every time it breaks for the next decade.

(How's that for negative thinking?    )

CJ
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 9:43:35 PM EDT
[#12]
See what I'm saying?
Corolla still for sale @ $900.
I've allready sold my Altima, which also worked quite fine.  Got a Honda now.
Also have a Camry 4cil that is awesome.  If you do want economy sacrificing power it's a way to go.  Mine gets around 28miles/gallon in the city.

It's really sad that the American auto industry let things drop so badly.  The cars are very nice when new but fall apart early, compared to the Toyotas, Hondas and Nissans.

Link Posted: 8/27/2003 6:19:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Its funny, my family has two Dodge Caravans, and both have been great.  The older one had 140,000 miles before we sold it, and we still have the newer one.  I just can't believe how much Chrysler let the QA/QC slide on the Intrepids.  The engine compartment is a nightmare, the electronics on it suck, and NOTHING is easy to fix.  I don't understand why car manufacturers try to make cars that have all these gee-whiz components that are supposed to last a long time, but in execution, only last a little while, but costs an arm and a leg to repair.  I mean, if a car breaks, and I can repair it myself, I could live with that.  But when it looks like the space shuttle, its rediculous.  

Rossi, thanks for the offer, but I'll have to pass.  I'm looking for a new Corolla now, and going to either trade in or sell the Intrepid.  

Laterz

Ghost
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top