Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2003 3:02:46 AM EDT
What's your setup? What would you have done differently than you did? Are you reloading for it?

Note:
Range Nazi from CE is officially disinvited from this thread, but his load data is welcome (if Bradd remembers it).
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 4:08:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I’ll play.

Define precision.  I assume you mean a bolt-action rifle.  Most people talking about precision rifles (like the guys in the precision rifle forum on this board) mean bolt-action guns.

Or, do you mean anything that achieves a certain level of performance?  If that’s what you mean, define the certain level of performance.  

My bolt guns are used for hunting.  I can maintain 1 MOA performance out of them all with good factory ammo.  I do not currently reload.  (That, however, is going to change in the near future.)

I just built a RRA lower with a Jewell trigger and have on order a RRA Varmint upper.  I’ll be reloading for that to squeeze out as much performance as I can.  

I’ve never purchased any high-powered scopes.  Most of my hunting rifles wear Leupold 3-9x40 scopes.  These scopes aren’t ideal if you’re trying to put 5 rounds into the same hole at 100+ yards.  It all depends on what you’re trying to do.

So, what are you trying to do?  

(I should be a politician.  I gave a long answer that I don’t think even answers anything!)  
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 5:17:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Hmmm... how about some simple criteria:
1. Has a heavy barrel of some sort.
2. Is scoped.
3. Costs more than your monthly mortgage payment, YMMV [your mortgage may vary].
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 6:04:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I have used several sniper rifles while in the military and guess what they were not bolt action. Modern semis are accurate and you get the second shot quicker.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 6:38:23 AM EDT
[#4]
EOD, the History Channel had a special on snipers about a month ago and many of the snipers were, as you said, using semi-autos.  I'd be interested in some more specific info on what kind of stuff you shot, especially optics.  

Link Posted: 8/17/2003 7:24:15 AM EDT
[#5]
#1 Rem. LTR in .308 leupold 3-9x40 mil-dot, harris bi-pod, shoots Hornady match 168gr. very accurate, and lightweight.

#2 Rem 700 Sendero in .300 WM Tasco SS 16x mil-dot, harris-bipod, shoots 180gr federal match, thinking about a brake or porting, this one will hurt ya after a while.

Both are good, solid performers, good optics and good triggers will go a long way.

I don't reload much any more, too busy.

Semper Fi

Link Posted: 8/17/2003 8:04:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I've got a Winchester Stealth in .308 with an IOR 6 X 42 tactical scope.  I'm using Badger Ordnance rings and a Badger Ordnance base.  I've gotten a .62 MOA group with it at 100 yds using Portugese surplus.  The only handloads I've used so far were the range nazi's stuff.  I can't recall all of the loads, but the one that shot the tightest group consisted of a Winchester case, IMR 4895 powder, and a 168 SMK bullet.  The only thing I am planning to do to this gun is shorten the barrel.  You really don't need more than 22" with the .308 and the gun is very heavy (10.75 lbs naked) as it sits now.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 5:22:56 PM EDT
[#7]
While I agree that the Remington 700 is a good rifle, I also like both Savage and Howa. They are also a little cheaper to build on.

.308 seems to be the most common caliber, but 300 WSM is gaining alot of interest
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 5:51:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Remington 700 LTR in .223 wearing Leupold Tactical M1LR 4.5-14x50mm Mildot with a Farrell 20MOA base and Smith Enterprises Tactical Rings.

Remington 700P in .308 currently wearing a Leupold Mark 4 10x M1 Mildot with a Farrell 20MOA base and Badger Ord rings.  Next week it is being sent off to Celt1 a.k.a. HD Rifles to be worked over and entered in to an AICS 1.5 stock, HB contour, truing and accurizing, etc etc etc....

If I had it to do over again, I would have gotten a used 700 ADL and sent it off for work.

Do not reload for it.  Found that factory ammo does what I want as far as accuracy.

Link Posted: 8/18/2003 4:22:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
EOD, the History Channel had a special on snipers about a month ago and many of the snipers were, as you said, using semi-autos.  I'd be interested in some more specific info on what kind of stuff you shot, especially optics.  

We used a Barrett M82A1 with a Leupold scope.
During Desert Shield/Storm I carried an M24 Sniper Rifle. That used a Springfield Armory Scope.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 6:16:10 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

During Desert Shield/Storm I carried an M24 Sniper Rifle. That used a Springfield Armory Scope.

That 24's a dog to hump, huh?  My experience was mostly with the M21/ART and M24/Leupold.  Got a demo on the Barrett, but didn't get to fire it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 6:26:06 AM EDT
[#11]
mine is an AR-10 A4 with a Springfield Armory 4-14 BDR gen II scope.  arms high rings.  it's got a slip grip, stock extension.  target grip, Ed Vandenberg custom trigger, ambi-safety, flash suppressor cut off and free float tube.  1 MOA at 200 yds for a 10 round rapid fire group.  rate of fire is 1 round every 1.5 sec.  this is with Fed Gold medal.
i can squeak 3/4 MOA at 1 round a minute. and using handloads.  

i would upgrade the scope to a night force.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 11:44:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Rem 700 308, stainless steel, 24" 5R rifled barrel, std HS Precision stock, Badger Ordnance 20MOA base, BO std rings, Leupold M3 3.5-10x40 w/Premier Reticles GenII Mildot.  10.75lbs built.  Harris SBRM bipod with Podloc.  

Reloading for it - soon.

What to do different?  Tune the trigger to less than 3lbs.  Possibly a MacMillan A5 stock, to allow the support hand a place to hook the stock, and a better recoil pad to save my spindly collarbone.  

My advice, as always, is save your $$ til you can afford good stuff.  This is especially true for scopes.  Don't put a cheap scope, base, and rings on an expensive rifle, it's like setting money on fire.  The firearm is a small portion of what you will spend, especially if you're buying match ammo.  Luckily for me, ARH hooked me up with some homebrewed SMKs, so I got to see what the setup can really do.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 1:12:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
That 24's a dog to hump, huh?  My experience was mostly with the M21/ART and M24/Leupold.  Got a demo on the Barrett, but didn't get to fire it.

The rifle is heavy but when you are getting shot at and your only other weapon is a 9mm pistol it becomes amazingly light.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 2:19:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The rifle is heavy but when you are getting shot at and your only other weapon is a 9mm pistol it becomes amazingly light.

Funny how that works...
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 3:24:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Looks like Remington 700's are the most popular out there... I know the aftermarket part selection is huge.
Has anybody gotten to tinker with the Savage Accutrigger? Is it everything it's cracked up to be?
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 7:29:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Remington 700 PSS (.308) 20" Bull Barrel w/ Brake, Leupold Vari-X 3.5-10X40 w/ Premier Recticles USMC Mil-Dot Recticle. Shorter barrel takes a little range off the rifle due to slightly slower muzzle velocity, but still a good shooter out to 500-600yd. I try to keep them within 300-400 with this one.

I'm don't have the time to reload. That, and I not smart enough to do it anyway.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top