Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2003 8:56:07 PM EDT
Hey Guys,

I've just received Armalite's new ejector spring reinforcement ring.

I'm trying to remove the firing pin in order to remove the bolt and then having access to the extractor retaining pin to remove it.

Well... the firing pin is held in place by a retainer that I cannot remove.  That is, there is a "leg" bent around the firing pin shoulder that prevents me from removing it.  

If I apply to much strength I'll destroy the retaining pin.  I'll then have two problems.
1) get a new one
2) how to insert that thing and bend the "leg" around the firing pin.

There must be a simpler way.

Any hints?

Thanks in advance!!

Link Posted: 8/8/2003 3:09:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Is this something unique to AR-10s?    
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 3:34:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Is it like a normal AR15 type cotter pin deal? The first time I tried to put mine back in after cleaning it one of the legs of the retaining pin didn't go into the hole and almost bent around the firing pin. I knew something was wrong since it was being such a pain in the butt to put back.

See if you can access it and bend it straighter and yank it out. I'm sure Home Depot or your local Ace will have very similar pins as opposed to paying jacked up prices since it is an AR.

Even if you do get it out I doubt it is any good anymore, it would be almost impossible to get both legs through that little hole at this point.

this is all assuming it is the same design as the AR15.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 12:29:48 PM EDT
[#3]
It sounds to me like someone did exactly what gilfrd almost did.  The leg of the cotter pin in't supposed to go around the firing pin shoulder.  See if you can pull it out with a good set of needlenose pliers.  I think it'll still be useable after you get it out.  These cotter pins are pretty flexible and bend back into shape pretty easily.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 2:40:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks!

Yes. I think I can pull that thing out.  But there's no way I can bend that leg around the pin if I have to insert a new one.

So, if i understand right, I insert the retainer with the legs straight and leave as it is.

Cheers!
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 3:13:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Does this help?

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 4:44:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thanks!

Yes. I think I can pull that thing out.  But there's no way I can bend that leg around the pin if I have to insert a new one.

So, if i understand right, I insert the retainer with the legs straight and leave as it is.

Cheers!

That's the way mine is, straight as you please.

How did it go? were you able to get it in? Even the smallest separation of each leg of that pin and it would be a tight squeeze, mine is.

What I do is I insert the pin until I see that the first leg is on the inner part of the hole on the opposite side from where I'm inserting, the tapered side, then I angle it up from where I'm holding it and push in. Works everytime.

gitchusum
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 7:06:38 PM EDT
[#7]
It worked!  Thank's guys!

I had to almost rape that thing because that retainer leg was bent almost 90 degrees.
The pin came out and I was able to remove the bolt and the extractor.
Replacing the spring reinforcement was almost like a chick's "first time".  Because it is bigger, it was not so easy to push it around the extractor spring.  But finally it settled in place.

Now ready for the next shoot...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top