Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2003 11:53:11 AM EDT
I'm glad to meet more of you guys at C.E. today. Too bad for all the "John Laws" being there but it was still fun. I think I'm still getting over Brad's FN though. That 16" barrel really is loud. Now I WANT one but will go the cheap road and get a Saiga in 308 16" barrel.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 2:04:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a great time today at CE even if it was crowded! It was a blast lol It was a pleasure meeting Marty, Brad, Mark, Todd, Alan, and so many others. Forgive me, but my male newbie mind cant remember everyones name at the moment but thank you ALL for making this new guy feel more than welcomed. With the ringing of Brad's FAL in my ears still and the hot brass that managed to find its way in my shirt from Marks AR, I think I am on my way to being broken into the Georgia Gang :-) I cant wait for the next get together! I was very impressed with all the "toys" everyone brought. The issue now is who is going to help me fund this new budding addiction now that you all have helped to wet my appetite? lol BTW Hobbit, those new high caps mags worked great today. It was money well spent. Alan, thanks for the shooting tips. I will continue to work on what you showed me as I could tell a big improvement. Again, thank you all for a great day and I look forward to meeting those that couldnt make it today another time.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 2:49:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I also had a great time today. I didn't get a chance to sight in my rifles because it was crowded but that just gives ma an excuse to go back. :-) I really appreciated the friendliness of everyone and can't wait to do more shooting. It will take me a while to get everyones names down.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 3:39:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Vetekbob-
Glad the mags worked out for you. Hopefully, the Asian contract mags will be even better when they arrive. Even in your absence, the clinic still functioned today.
Who brought what to the shoot? Do I pics, even though I has a no-show?
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 4:40:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey guys!

First of all thanks a lof for the advices and help lending me the "snake" cleaner.  Made my life much easier.  My next purchase is already defined.  :-))

It was quite fun.  I spent most of the time in that tedious barrel breaking procedure but I think it's worth it.

Managed to make rough scope alignments.  Got nice results at 50 yards but still need to adjust to 100 yards.   Also got some nice results with the red dot I borrowed from one of my air rifles.  I think it will get better with an Aimpoint (or an ACOG?)...

Got a problem with the dot being washed out even in the brightest mode.  Forgot to check the Aimpoint.  Next time(s)... :-)))

Take care and let's do it again!

Link Posted: 6/21/2003 4:52:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Had a great time once again. The FAL's came close to out numbering the AR's. Got the urge to build one now after seeing a couple.

Make sure you get one with a really good muzzle brake.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 6:52:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Had a great time once again. The FAL's came close to out numbering the AR's. Got the urge to build one now after seeing a couple.

OH NO!
I think he saw both of my builds with nice and quiet muzzle things.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 6:57:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey, guys.  I can't tell you how much fun it was to see some familiar faces and meet some really great "new" guys.  You guys are all like family and I really look forward to the time we get to spend together.  We've got a great group here and I'm really glad to be part of it.  Thanks to everyone for sharing their toys and for having such great attitudes.  See you guys soon.

Mark
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 7:06:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

OH NO!

I didn't see your stuff...what kind of thingies do you have.  I'd love to find a brake that's effective, but a tad quieter.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 6:51:02 AM EDT
[#9]
hey Brad you need a couple more inches of barrel to quite that monster of yours down.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 7:00:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
hey Brad you need a couple more inches of barrel to quite that monster of yours down.

I'm probably going to go to 18".
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 8:27:54 AM EDT
[#11]
My 21" StG-58 is just as loud.  See, size doesn't matter.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 10:13:08 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
My 21" StG-58 is just as loud.  See, size doesn't matter.  

Yeah...somebody give the Moderator some flak for a change!    Maybe it's because you don't rip off 2 or 3 mags at a time.    
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 11:41:23 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

OH NO!

I didn't see your stuff...what kind of thingies do you have.  I'd love to find a brake that's effective, but a tad quieter.

On my STG I have an FSE muzzle thing, it's actually a sleeved flash hider.  No chambers for sideways blast.  On my Imbel I have a "Dan's" belgium style brake, very small side ports and minimum side noise.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 1:43:19 PM EDT
[#14]
One thing I forgot to ask/tell you guys.

I have around 100 .308 cartridges from my shooting.  

I do not have any use for them as do not reload and read that Armalite does not approve reloaded in their rifles.  Any reason for that?

Anybody interested?  I can keep them and take with me next time we go there.

Cheers!
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 5:45:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Sorry I didnt make it I made like 500 dollars this weekend and got laid so I was kinda stuck here.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 6:14:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Taxman, I was wondering about you.  Sounds like you're having a good weekend though.  Take care.  Hope to see you soon.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 6:14:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Rossi, I bet ARH (whom you haven't met yet) would love that brass.  See ya, my friend.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 6:17:19 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
One thing I forgot to ask/tell you guys.

I have around 100 .308 cartridges from my shooting.  

I do not have any use for them as do not reload and read that Armalite does not approve reloaded in their rifles.  Any reason for that?

Anybody interested?  I can keep them and take with me next time we go there.

Cheers!

I will gladly take them off your hands.
Thanks.

ARH
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 6:36:54 PM EDT
[#19]
OK. I'll keep them and take with me next time.
Thay were almost turning into air rifle targets...  :-))
Cheers!
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:02:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Good shooting with you all!  I enjoyed it. I was the quiet one in the pink shirt.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:10:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Hee hee, I have been waiting to do this...

WHERE ARE THE PICTURES?!?!

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:31:38 AM EDT
[#22]
mikefromphilly, I wish I had known that was you so I could have introduced myself.  I was the guy who shot Allen's 10mm Glock.  Good to see ya anyway.  Please don't be a stranger.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:32:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Sorry, Byte.  No pictures this time.  I know, we all suck.  We missed ya.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 10:25:19 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Good shooting with you all!  I enjoyed it. I was the quiet one in the pink shirt.  

Greetings Mike, the pink shirt kinda scared most of us.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 10:58:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Yea, Mike was definitely well dressed compared to the rest of us.  I kept thinking, “how is he not getting dirty?”  You can tell which of my shirts are my “shooting shirts” because they all have CLP and crud stains on the right shoulder.

Regarding pink shirts, a few years ago my brother-in-law and I were waiting for our wives at the mall.  He was making fun of the men’s shirts on display, since it was springtime and they had out all the yellow, pink and baby blue stuff.  The next week when we played golf I showed up in a pink polo.  It really bothered him to get beat by a guy in a pink shirt.  From then on, I would always were a bright color (lime green, light purple – no kidding, yellow, sky blue, etc.) shirt when we played golf just because it bothered him.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 12:24:06 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

The reason why most, if not all firearms manufactures frown on reloads is liability.  Reloading is an arduous task, and mistakes are made.  Unfortunately any mistake made while reloading could result in human injury, and/or damage to the host firearm.  Further most manufactures will not warranty a product if it is shown that reloads, or surplus ammunition was used.

The Azalin
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 3:39:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for the explanation.  Well..I can understand the reloads.  But surplus is kind of too much, no?  Who does not use surplus in their rifles?  :-))

Regarding the shirts...I also learned another lesson.  Do not go shooting with a white shirt.  Mine also got several CLP spots.  It was old anyway...  :-))

When is next?

Cheers!

Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:05:25 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
When is next?

Another succumbs to the fever...
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:47:20 AM EDT
[#29]
I'll let you in on a Rosie O'Doughnut beauty secret so we all can wear pink shirts..... EEZOX.

I've been using EEZOX to clean and lubricate my pistol and rifle for a year.  EEZOX dries to the touch, thus avoiding those nasty CLP splatter spots.  From a totally unscientific feeling, it seems to be an acceptable lubricant.  I haven't seen any unexpected wear.  I'd like to test its lubricating properties someday, but I haven't gotten motivated to figure how.  Anyone want to work together on this?

For what it's worth, I've been trying to "dress nice" when I go shooting for a couple of reasons.  One, I'm trying to be a good ambassador of shooting sports by looking "like the guy next door".   Two, I'm trying to counter the stereotypes of gun owners that we're police-wannabes and militia members in camo.   And the most important reason is that it's fun when some nancy-pants liberal makes a comment about my pink shirt and I rebound with "I love this shirt ....  its my lucky Glock shooting shirt".  They usually run home to momma at that point.

I too am looking forward to the next shoot. I regretted not speaking up and introducing myself.
I'd like to bring some 10mm ammo and give Alan's Glock 20 a workout.  That was one sweet gun, especially with Alan's loads! I "NEED" one.

Regards,   Mike

PS  Since Rosie doesn't have any guns .... what the hell is she using EEZOX for?  Thighs?

Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:51:16 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
PS  Since Rosie doesn't have any guns .... what the hell is she using EEZOX for?  Thighs?

Chicken marinade.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 9:01:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Mike, you bring up a valid point regarding the image we convey to non-shooters.  It’s the same reason I don’t drive through town with a dead deer strapped to my car after I’ve been hunting.  Good point in deed.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 10:56:06 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Mike, you bring up a valid point regarding the image we convey to non-shooters.  It’s the same reason I don’t drive through town with a dead deer strapped to my car after I’ve been hunting.  Good point in deed.

I especially like the pink polo shirt and tac vest...
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 11:41:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Hey, that's an idea!  Thanks, Bradd.  I'll try it out tonight.  Anyone want a picture?  
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 2:22:27 PM EDT
[#34]
vetekbob:  Glad to help.  Safely clear the gun (ask Bookhound how I learned) and dry fire practice til it's second nature!

mikefromphilly wrote: ".. I'm trying to counter the stereotypes of gun owners that we're police-wannabes and militia members in camo"  HEY!  I resemble that remark.  It spite of being a Damn Yankee from Philly, Mike's a real good guy.  I'm not sure which scared me worse, the pink shirt or you being from Philly and having a gun!  You're welcome to shoot the 10mm whenever, just let me know.

Bookhound in a pink polo shirt and Tac vest: "Tactical Preppy Mark"!

Is 'next time' scheduled yet?
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 2:43:37 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I never drive through town with a dead deer strapped to my car, because I never seem to be able to shoot one!
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 3:03:47 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I never drive through town with a dead deer strapped to my car, because I never seem to be able to shoot one!

That's because you hunt during the day while deer are in season.    
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 4:54:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Note to self-
Buy the following supplies before hunting with Bookhound:
1. Spotlight
2. Succinyl Choline
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:14:39 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Note to self-
Buy the following supplies before hunting with Bookhound:
1. Spotlight
2. Succinyl Choline
-Hobbit

And don't forget the booze.  Can't hunt sober.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:47:30 PM EDT
[#39]
This must be a very interesting hunting.  Afterall everything you shoot is multiplied by at least two...  :-))
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top