Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/11/2003 5:22:01 AM EDT
I want to participate in the 3-gun match at South River in August.  I have some questions though.  First, let me give you a little background on the stuff I would probably use if I shot this match today.

Rifle – 16” Bushy A3 with an Aimpoint; 3-point tactical sling
Pistol – Ruger P93 (9mm); I have 4 15-round mags for this gun; carried in either an Uncle Mikes SideKick or thigh holster
Shotgun – Mossberg 500A (5+1 capacity); has folding pistol-grip stock; bead front sight; has Side Saddle ammo holder

What type of pistol (caliber, style, etc.) is preferred?
Is a punp shotgun okay?
If I have an optic on my rifle, should I also use an optic on my shotgun?
Should the shotgun have a fixed stock?  Does it matter?
What other equipment do I need?  
What equipment is great to have, but not necessary?
How many rounds do I need to bring for each weapon?
What are the target distances for all weapons?
How many mags do I need for the pistol and rifle?
I have a Blackhawk tac vest.  Is this overkill?  How do most guys carry their gear?
From which positions (prone, knelling, etc.) are targets engaged?  
I have some kneepads.  Are they overkill or a good idea?

Could you give me some idea of the format for each drill?

Basically, I have some time between now and the shoot.  I have several “goodies” on my wish list and want to prioritize what I get.  You input will help me do just that.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:42:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I am also very interested.

Can you give us a good idea of what type of equipment is needed.

I also need to know about the shotgun. I will be using a tactical Ithaca 37.

I only have 3 mags for my Para, is that enough?

Questions, Questions, Questions
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 6:00:37 AM EDT
[#2]
The couple of 3 guns I shot, it was a good idea to bring enough mags to equal 40 rounds of pistol.  Pump shotguns are fine, gonna be a little outclassed with the semi's but most of us were out there to have fun.  Optics aren't necessary, and since this would be your first match, I'd personally pull them off so you stay in limited and don't get put in open.  On the pistol ammo, personally if you are running 9mm, I'd run +p ammo on any stage with pepper poppers.  Per the rules they are supposed to be set where a regular 9 mm load will knock them down if they hit in the upper 1/3 only.  This is meant to equalize the 9's and the .45's.  Shotgun ammo I think the most popular 12ga load was #6 shot.  Granted I haven't shot these matches in almost 2 yrs so they may have changed a bit.  Also Hip holdsters only for safety reasons.  No Inside the waistband, cross draw, thigh holdsters.

Contact for SRGC IPSC is Cindy Noyes 770-460-7436    Give her a call, and if possible it's a good idea to meet up the day before for target setup, and runthrough pointers
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 6:23:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Wow.  Thanks, Delta.  I forgot you had been to some of these shoots.  I appreciate your info.

What are the target distances usually?  

You up for maybe going to the one in August?
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:02:06 AM EDT
[#4]
target distance can range from 2 yds to 80 yds.  I don't quite know if I'll be up for August.  I just found my shipping lable from mossberg, and sent it out yesterday, who knows maybe.  BTW if you bring 200 rifle and pistol and 100 shotgun, you should be bringing ammo home.  I was serious about pullin the aimpoint off, those open guys are good!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:31:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I spoke with Bill Noye and he highly recommends coming out to a Saturday setup and Sunday IPSC pistol shoot before we venture into a 3-gun shoot. He said that first time IPSC shooters get to shoot for free and it is a great way to get a taste of competition before we try our hand at 3-gun.

He also said that semi-autos are most common, but pumps will work. He recommends a 20" or 22" barrel (18 1/2 will work, but you will feel it more) with an Improved Cylinder choke.

If you go to a Saturday setup, you will get fed for free and will receive free shooting instruction at the end of the day. Not bad for any of us who are newbies.

There is a shoot this Sunday and every 3rd Sunday of the month at SouthRiver Gun Club.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:35:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Damn, Sunday is Father's Day and July 20th I've got plans.

Thanks for the info though, chainshaw.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 4:42:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Shoot your AR with iron sights. Shotgun really needs 8 rds. A pump is fine. Use regular 9mm ball ammo in your handgun. Use a regular belt and holster, no thigh rig, 2 double mag pouches will work fine. You will need about 100-150 rds pistol ammo, 100 rds .223, 75 rds shotgun ammo. Some Uncle mike's belt slides for shotshells would be a great help, use 2. Handgun and 4 mags will generally work. 3 mags for the AR. Ar belt mag pouches or your back pockets of your pants. You will shoot inLimited division this way. You stand a better chance of being competative this way. Aimpoint on your Ar will make you Open division in all areas. You'll have alot of fun, but won't be competative at all. This will be a good shakedown of using your guns under a little stress and against the clock. I'll post more in a little while. Have to go into a meeting now. Gizzmo
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:02:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks, Gizzmo, for the info.  I'll take your advice and shoot iron sights.  Can't see buying a new shotgun for my first match; think I'll stick with the Mossberg for now.  I don't care so much about my score.  With this being my first match I don't care if I score last place.  I want to "learn the ropes" first time out and see what works best for me.  After a few more matches I'm sure I'll feel more competitive and I'll start caring about score.

Am I wrong to view this as more of a training exercise?

Again, thanks for all the input.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:22:52 AM EDT
[#9]
It's a great training exercise. I use my real life AR. Armalite A2 carbine with Aimpoint and Surefire 9v side post light. Remington 1100 synthetic 28" bbl, Choate 10 sht extension, EZ loader. My pistol is a full open class .38 Super, Cmore, comp etc. Full competition pistol belt rig. Then change to a belt with 2 Choate shotshell carriers and 1 uncle mike's belt slide, 18 extra shotshells. One California competition works horizantal mag pouch for my AR extra mag. If I need a third AR mag, it's in my back jeans pocket. And a side saddle on the shotgun also. Forgot to mention that earlier.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:25:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Next pistol only shoot Sunday June 15th if you want a little practice first.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:50:44 AM EDT
[#11]
To give you an idea on the match. VSP won it overall Limited and open. I was third place out of 55 shooters. VSP won Limited rifle and I won open rifle. So you're in good hands for info.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 6:35:08 AM EDT
[#12]
WOW!  I guess I am in good hands.  

Can't make it this Sunday (Father's Day).
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:03:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I'll show up for a while, but probably not shoot for the same reason. I neeed to pick up my refinished Glock 17 slide from Henry Avant.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 7:10:09 AM EDT
[#14]
VSP is teaching a 3 gun class on Aug 2 and 3.  Here's how he described it to me in an email.  The class might be a good way to get up to speed.

THIS TWO DAY FORMAT WILL INVOLVE ½ DAY PISTOL, ½ DAY SHOTGUN, AND A FULL DAY OF RIFLE.  THIS CLASS IS GEARED TOWARDS IPSC 3-GUN COMPETITION, BUT WILL STILL OFFER MANY VALUABLE INSIGHTS WHICH CAN BE APPLIED TO ALL SHOOTING DISCIPLINES.  EACH DAY WILL LAST APPROXIMATELY 8-10 HOURS.

CLASS IS LIMITED TO 20 STUDENTS, DON?T WAIT.

COST- $200
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top