Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2003 5:33:44 AM EDT
This was in our fine Atlanta newspaper, today. It is full of absolute bullshit. Let's at least let them hear the truth, not that they really care.

Assault weapons belong off the street, under a ban

Adolf Hitler was so delighted with the lethal capability of the new gun presented to him by his ordnance designers during World War II that he dubbed it the "Sterm Kever" -- or assault rifle.

Today, assault rifles still kill efficiently and quickly, as demonstrated by the Beltway snipers. John Allen Muhammad and Lee Boyd Malvo allegedly wielded a .223-caliber Bushmaster XM15, an assault rifle adapted to evade the 1994 ban on assault weapons.

Even that limited ban will expire next year unless the U.S. Congress comes to its senses and votes to extend it. Most Americans assume that the ban on assault weapons was permanent and comprehensive. It was neither.

The ban lasts only 10 years, and was so slack that gun manufacturers continue to make and market assault weapons by virtue of simple modifications. The ban needs to become permanent, and its provisions need to be tightened so that weapons that are assault rifles in all but name are outlawed.

Assault rifles were created solely to kill people; today, those people are often law enforcement officers. Forty-one of the 211 U.S. police officers killed in the line of duty between 1998 and 2001 were murdered with assault rifles, according to a new analysis by the Violence Policy Center.

To justify assault rifles in home arsenals, the gun industry has created sporting competitions around them and spun the myth that the high-powered weapons are the best guarantee of personal safety. But there is no reason for the average citizen to own a firearm invented to give poor marksmen in the German army a better chance of hitting their targets. If assault rifles provide the ultimate in personal protection, the streets of Baghdad would be the safest in the world rather than the most dangerous.

Despite the deadly threat to police officers and civilians alike from assault rifles, House Majority Leader Tom DeLay (R-Texas) wants to let the ban lapse and permit these killing machines to flood our streets. DeLay says he won't let the extension come up for a vote. And President Bush, who claims to favor the ban, isn't pushing Congress for an extension.

The National Rifle Association wants the assault ban lifted. In its paranoid view, the banning of Uzis one day means your Colt will be confiscated tomorrow. The NRA leadership insists the right to own a gun accorded Americans in the Second Amendment extends to any and all guns, even those that fire off 30 rounds in less than two seconds and murder innocent children.

That purported right is more important to the NRA than protecting police officers, disarming street gangs or safeguarding children. The gun lobby doesn't believe it has any moral or civic obligation to the community outside its membership and feels no responsibility for the victims of assault rifles.

But our senators and representatives have an obligation to the larger community. That community -- and that means all of us -- has to tell Congress and DeLay that assault weapons do not belong on our streets.

Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:30:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know even know where to start... Who wrote this shit?

gilfrd
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:37:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Editorial page. No name. Chicken shit!
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:31:35 AM EDT
[#3]
The idiot can't even spell Sturmgewehr correctly. Sturmgewehr means Storm Rifle  not assault rifle. What a dildo.

ARH
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:51:27 AM EDT
[#4]
That is so much crap, I really feel like giving the person an ass kicking. ....um..
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:36:13 PM EDT
[#5]
"But there is no reason for the average citizen to own a firearm invented to give poor marksmen in the German army a better chance of hitting their targets."

Everyone knows that the 8mm Mausers were underpowered and horribly inaccurate!  

This kind of shit makes me sick!  It wouldn't be so bad if this fight was a legitimate academic debate, but this guerrilla warfare shit is getting ridiculous!      
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:56:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Sorry guys.  I was out of town and am just catching up on my reading.  Thanks for bringing this to everyone’s attention, chainshaw.  

I love the part about shooting 30 rounds in 2 seconds.  My Bushy must be defective.  It sure doesn’t do that.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 9:48:03 AM EDT
[#7]
And did they have an editorial for the opposing view?  Hell no!
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 12:14:40 PM EDT
[#8]
They actually did have an opposing view by someone from the National Review. It was okay, but was not able to dispute the lies that were in the AJC editorial.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:17:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Unfortunately, the AJC is notoriously liberal so I'm quite sure they didn't try very hard to find an opposing editorial with any substance.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 3:46:23 AM EDT
[#10]
You gotta love the Atlanta Urinal and Constipation...  
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:08:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Folks - if you want any of the thousands of sheep that read this newspaper to know the truth, then we must retort on this idiot.  

Each of you please join me in writing a rebuttal letter to the editor, outlining the mistakes of this person's argument and backing our own truths that we hold to be self-evident.

If we can get enough support mustered to back our side, then surely the Atlantic public will be shown the truth by majority opinion.  thanks!

Beetle
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:45:13 AM EDT
[#12]
I can't say on a public forum how that articule makes me feel.  

The Azalin
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top