Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2003 4:23:12 AM EDT
Thanks again for bringing this one to the shoot. Does it have an M4 profile barrel and an A2 length stock? Also, where did you get your Aimpoint?
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 4:55:54 AM EDT
[#1]
It’s a Bushmaster lower with an A2 stock.  The upper is a Bushmaster 16” M4 profile crowned barrel (i.e. without any muzzle brake).  The rail and vertical grip are from Advanced Armament (cost me $40 for both!).  Got the tac sling from Coal Creek Armory; no clue what model though.  Aimpoint is mounted in an ARMS 22M68 throw-lever mount with a riser.  The riser is needed to co-witness the irons.  BUIS is the Bushmaster flip-up BUIS.  The Hogue grip (not pictured) I got cheap from zzxx99.

I can’t remember where the hell I got the Aimpoint.  Bowman’s Brigade I think.  Same for the mount; not sure but think it was SWFA.

Here is the rifle:

Link Posted: 5/14/2003 4:57:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Something must be wrong with the photo server.  Sorry, but it no workie.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 4:58:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll try another picture to see if it works:

Link Posted: 5/14/2003 11:15:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Cool pic.
I really liked the Aimpoint scope. I've actually thought about doing a buildup of the same type using a lower rec. I found in a pawn shop marked "Hesse" and one of those BSA red dots. I think that ought to work pretty well.

:)

I've really wondered about the RRA tac entry stock with an Aimpoint mounted way forward on a flattop. Seems like it would be O.K., but from other posts I've read, it sounds like a person of my size may be resting his nose on the back sight assembly (If I chose to install one). As far as the upper goes, I've been looking around for a 16 inch flattop w/o a front sight. I'd like a CAR-style barrel... or maybe an M4-style.
The foregrip was really nice. It's the exact model I have been looking at, and the price is right.

So I can either do this, or send my child to college.
What do you guys think?
 -Hobbit
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 11:50:24 AM EDT
[#5]
You and I are about the same build.  I recently got to shoulder (but not shoot) one of the new Bushy lightweights.  It was in a local store and they had put an EOTech on it just for display.  I have A2 stocks on both my ARs, so I was a little leery of the stubby stock.  

I could actually get a decent cheek weld with the stubby stock, but it was a little awkward since I’m so used to shouldering my ARs the same every time.  The stock might take some getting used to.  BTW, the EOTech was nice on the rifle.

It would be nice to try shooting a rifle with one of those stocks.  I still think I’ll stick with at least an A1 length stock.  Might try getting ARH or one of the guys with pre-bans to let you shoot an AR with the stock collapsed.  The length of a collapsed stock is, I believe, comparable to the stubby stocks.

You were kidding about the Hesse receiver, right?

You can save a few bucks by purchasing a stripped lower and building it yourself.  I can help you if you want.  Then you can purchase a complete upper over the Internet and although you pay shipping, you’ll save a few bucks on the sales tax that you don’t have to pay.  

Look on-line at some of the RRA uppers.  I would just recommend getting one with a chrome-lined chamber/bore.  If you do it a little bit at a time over several weeks or months, it won’t hurt as badly in the wallet.  

I’ll give you some advice I’ve learned over the years.  Get the right tool for the job the FIRST time.  If you want an Aimpoint, get an Aimpoint.  If you settle for something less than what is best or what you really want, you’ll either not be totally satisfied with it or it won’t live up to your expectations.  But, don’t over buy either.  For example, I bought the Aimpoint ML2, not the M2.  I saved myself a few bucks because I don’t ever plan to use this sight with nightvision.  

Regarding Aimpoint mounting, it’s all preference.  I love having mine mounted as far out on the flattop as possible.  Some guys like it out even further.  I tried both and like my setup the best.

Question: Why do you want an upper without a front sight?
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 11:58:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I tell ya book thats a nice set up dude, I really like lookin at it.
 Joel
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 11:59:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Hey Mark,

Keep in mind what we had talked about several weeks ago. I can get much of the stuff that everyone wants cheap already, and anything else that would require an opening order for the store will just require maybe a group buy or something to get us started. I'm actually in the market for an Aimpoint right now myself. I think that an opening order would require something like three, so if we can find one more person that wants one, I can get them just over dealer cost.

Justin
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 1:29:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Hi-
Yep, just kidding about the Hesse/BSA setup.

From my reading, it looks like the Tac Entry stock is exactly the same length as a collapsed stock. At the shoot, I collapsed ARH's pre-ban. It was a VERY convenient package, but my eye nearly touched the rear sight. That could have something to do with my head position, as well.
 About the front sight- I'd like to get one with the picatinny gas block on the front. It looked like mounting your Aimpoint any lower (i.e., w/o the riser block) would cause the dot to be centered somewhere inside the sight. I'd like to try to keep the overall size and weight down on the complete package.
BTW- this gun wouldn't be for home defense or anything tactical. I've got a Bryco Jennings .25 for that. [Again, I am kidding].
It would be strictly a range gun.
I'm looking at getting a Continental Machine lower (they made the lower for my RRA)and doing a buildup on that. If this one goes well, I may get adventurous and try a 9MM buildup with the SOCOM mag block and Sten mag setup.
Anyway, when I do start up the first build, I'd love to have some guidance doing it. Also, I may have more questions about the different Aimpoints later. Their site is pretty good, but I'd like to talk to owners of the product.
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 3:07:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the kind words guys.  I really like this rifle.  It’s very comfortable to shoot and everything just feels right about it.

Justin, what is the cost for an Aimpoint ML2?

Hobbit, I’m here to help whenever you need it.  Plus, thanks to chainshaw, I’ve got all the tools needed.  I wouldn’t mind throwing together a 9mm gun too.  I need to research them a little more though.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 4:19:52 PM EDT
[#10]
About the 9mm AR's:
The tacked thread on the Pistol Cal. AR-15 boards is pretty good, but it could be hacked down to about 10 bullet points (pun intended) to make the story a lot more clear.
The way it looks to me, the Colt setup is a lot harder to deal with mag-wise. I have actually thought about stocking up on cheap Sten mags now just in case I ever decide to build one. The more I think about it, the better it sounds.
Of course, if your name is ARH, you can stumble on to a great deal on mags, and it's not so much of an issue. I had kicked the idea around, but shooting the double taps for the first time ever lit a fire under me. I hope that if I build one, it turns out to run as well as his did.

-Hobbit
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top