Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2003 4:01:19 PM EDT
I had fun today at the range and was able to see some of the brothers that hung out at this board it was a good time hope to see some pics. will post pic that I took on Monday.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 4:23:15 PM EDT
[#1]
It's good to smell like burned powder again.
Many thanks to everyone for coming out, and a special thanks to all of those who let me play with their toys (Byte and ARH, as well as the random Cowboy Action Shooter at the end of the bench).
And now, it's time for the traditional closer:
What did I learn today?
1. I learned that keeping up with Byte on I-20 is not for the feint of heart.
2. After picking up McDonald's on the way home, I learned that gunpowder residue is ketchup-soluble.
3. I learned that if you don't have a mag inserted in certain .22 pistols, absolutely NOTHING about the gun will function.
Things like this always seem to happen in front of an audience. I figured out what was up after I got home. Typical.
4. Standing to the right of two people doing double taps is a bad idea. Next time, it's flame retardant clothing.
5. I need to bring umbrellas for the shooters at the three benches to the right of the AK. Sorry.
6. Everyone should have their own Little Red Wagon. Besides transporting things to the benches, the fancy ones also feature a fold-out couch for sleeping.

-Hobbit
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 4:29:37 PM EDT
[#2]
And lets not forget the range opens at 10:00 getting there early is wrong.

ARH- thanks for letting me shoot your sweet .223 bolt (Win.) and I liked your Acog (I think that how you spell it).

DeltaAir-Did you clear your new AR when you got home?

I wished I could remember everyones user names.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 4:36:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry I couldn't make it down this time guys.  I am quite broke and couldn't scrape together ammo money and I only have one rifle up here currently.  I was really looking forward to meeting some of you guys that were interested in the Tennessee shoot.  Oh well, I will try to make it next time.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 4:47:38 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
And lets not forget the range opens at 10:00 getting there early is wrong.

Link Posted: 5/11/2003 7:34:16 AM EDT
[#5]
After getting home and finding out that there's a phantom 1000.00 check taken out of my account, I was a little too busy to clean anything. Then when I sat down on the couch I was out like a light, and I just woke up, so no I didn't clean any guns last night.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 8:36:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I had a great time myself. I got to shoot some neat guns, got some good, hopefully great, pictures, met a few new people, BUT, I did not get to shoot at my huge metal target. The range nazi put a damper on at least the first part of the day. I gotta find a place to punch holes through that sucker. If anyone has some land or a good place that will allow 'fun', please let me know. Can't wait to see all you beautiful people again.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 8:48:01 AM EDT
[#7]
ARH's 9mm AR was really cool.

Also, Hobbit got to break in his virgin RRA.  Cool.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 9:20:13 AM EDT
[#8]
As usual, that was great fun folks.
It was good to see the usual suspects and meet Crystal and mpearcex. Hobbit don't be such a stranger, and next time I will show you the toothpaste trick for gunpowder residue. I need a little red wagon too.

ARH

Link Posted: 5/11/2003 11:17:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Break-in went great. No failures to feed, fire, or extract. I used beat-up USGI mags (one of which I had to bend a dent out of with pliers) and three Orlites.
The only trouble I did have is a trigger pin that looks like it may walk after a lot of rounds are put through. Ideas, anyone?
-Hobbit  
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 11:59:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Wow, I don't know.  You could try replacing the pin.  Tommy at Georgia Prec. can send you out one quickly and they are cheap.  He'll toss it in an envelope so you aren't paying high shipping charges for a $1.00 part.  I can help you replace it if you want.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 1:58:50 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Break-in went great. No failures to feed, fire, or extract. I used beat-up USGI mags (one of which I had to bend a dent out of with pliers) and three Orlites.
The only trouble I did have is a trigger pin that looks like it may walk after a lot of rounds are put through. Ideas, anyone?
-Hobbit  

Are the notches in the pin lining up with the trigger  spring?
There will be parts kits and plenty of springs and pins at the fun show this weekend.

ARH
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 2:10:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
-Hobbit  

Are the notches in the pin lining up with the trigger  spring?
There will be parts kits and plenty of springs and pins at the fun show this weekend.

ARH

These are good points.  Hobbit, you able to go to the show this weekend?  If not, I'll pick you up a pin (they're are seriously cheap; like $0.75-$1.25 I believe) if you want.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 5:45:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Hmmm... Time to display some ignorance.
Pushing the pin side to side, it looks like there is a groove cut in one end of the trigger pin, but not the other end. When the pin is in place, this groove is visible from the top- it's just inside the port side rec. wall.
As far as it lining up with a spring... it looks like it lines up with the "free" end of the hammer spring when viewed from above. It doesn't look like this spring touches it.
 Sounds like it's time to get a kit and build one myself.
 Won't be able to get to the show, so if this doesn't work out, I may ask someone to pick up some parts for me. I'd be much obliged.

By the way-
Without exception, everyone I've been shooting with from the boards has been sociable, courteous, and well-mannered.
I really came to appreciate this at about 10:02 on Saturday morning. 'Nuff said.
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 8:22:52 PM EDT
[#14]
It's real easy for me to get parts from Georgia Prec. It's only a 30 min drive to Tommy's place of business. I've bought parts from hem before and nothings quicker than just jumping in the truck and running down there.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 3:28:39 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

By the way-
Without exception, everyone I've been shooting with from the boards has been sociable, courteous, and well-mannered.
I really came to appreciate this at about 10:02 on Saturday morning. 'Nuff said.
-Hobbit

I know what you mean and feel the same way.  I can honestly say I've yet to meet anyone from this board who was a jerk.  I can't say the same thing about Bradd's range buddy though.  

(Just kiddin' Bradd).
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 5:41:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Why is it I'm the only Loud Ignorant Bastard on the GA board????

Another great shoot, in spite of Frank going off the deep end about us taking all the benches - notice he was a bit calmer after somebody gave him their seat....

Book, very impressive 100 yd standing-shooting-with-the-Aimpoint groups, dude.  You're ready for the three-gun matches now.  

I was having much fun until ARH shot off the sticks holding up my targets.  I was so pissed I Photoshopped him onto some pistol targets and shot indoors on Sunday.  

I then learned a few things.  1. I can shoot leftie again.  1911's can drive a thumbtack .  10mm absolutely rocks .  Time to call Dillon, again..

Will someone please step up and schedule the next shoot?  Are we going back to FOP?  Beginning of June is NFG for me.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:04:41 AM EDT
[#17]

I was having much fun until ARH shot off the sticks holding up my targets.

What’s funniest about the target stands is that ARH did it TWICE!  I think that was his way of telling you it was time for lunch.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:07:34 AM EDT
[#18]
zzxx99 - Say the word and I'm there (CE or 'Bama).  What works for you?  We'll run it by LWC and the_beer_slayer to see when we can get the FOP range again.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:11:45 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm with you!! CE is good for getting your shooting jones under control but the FOPfest was the bomb!
I really appreciated the lack of crying and childish attitudes when it comes to getting a bench, I enjoyed being treated like a responsible adult and the lack of negativity. I was waiting for him to start throwing a tantrum and get on his cell phone and start calling his mommy... how do people make it that far in life? Beats me. Next time to CE, I'm bringing Midol.

I also have 2 cases of tannerites to blow up, I'm thinking gallon milk jug action, yeah baby!

Looks like I have to make a trip to the next gun show. I need some iron front sights, bullets, carry holster, gun bag, GI cleaning kit (thanks for the loaner!!!) and maybe one of those cheap scopes and a mount. I sure hope my new credit card gets here soon, I've got to give the wife something so she'll let me get stuff, we agree it is a good bribe!

I loved that 9mm AR... I liked watching the round move downrange to the target...cool!
I'll post tose pics tonight or tomorrow, when are you putting your up Byte?

gilfrd
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:19:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Gilfrd – fun show this weekend.  There’s a thread around here somewhere about it.  You gonna make it?

I also posted a thread in GD about the pissed off guy at the range.  I called DNR this morning and they confirmed you can get to the range as early as you want.  Posted hours are the shooting hours.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:29:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Heck yeah.. if I can convince my wife that I NEED things. Norcross right?

I'm thinking a little mexican grub is in the works as well afterwards!

Let's do it!

gilfrd
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:36:53 AM EDT
[#22]
That’s the plan, bullets and burritos.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:44:18 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Hmmm... Time to display some ignorance.
Pushing the pin side to side, it looks like there is a groove cut in one end of the trigger pin, but not the other end. When the pin is in place, this groove is visible from the top- it's just inside the port side rec. wall.
As far as it lining up with a spring... it looks like it lines up with the "free" end of the hammer spring when viewed from above. It doesn't look like this spring touches it.
 Sounds like it's time to get a kit and build one myself.
 Won't be able to get to the show, so if this doesn't work out, I may ask someone to pick up some parts for me. I'd be much obliged.

By the way-
-Hobbit

The ends of the hammer spring should be installed to the rear of the trigger pin and should rest is the groove on the surface of the trigger pin.
I am not an experst so you should make the same post in the trouble shooting forum. I'm sure somebody could get this straight for you in no time.
www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=3&f=66

ARH
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:48:03 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Another great shoot, in spite of Frank going off the deep end about us taking all the benches - notice he was a bit calmer after somebody gave him their seat....

Book, very impressive 100 yd standing-shooting-with-the-Aimpoint groups, dude.  You're ready for the three-gun matches now.  

I was having much fun until ARH shot off the sticks holding up my targets.  I was so pissed I Photoshopped him onto some pistol targets and shot indoors on Sunday.  

I then learned a few things.  1. I can shoot leftie again.  1911's can drive a thumbtack .  10mm absolutely rocks .  Time to call Dillon, again..

Will someone please step up and schedule the next shoot?  Are we going back to FOP?  Beginning of June is NFG for me.

You Photoshopped me, you bastard.

ARH
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:24:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Sounds like you fellas had tons O' fun. Ill have to make the next one for sure. Been really busy lately.
  Joel T
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 9:13:58 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Quoted:

You Photoshopped me, you bastard.

ARH

Psst, Ross, Allen doesn't have a camera... Hell, I don't think he even has Photoshop.

Pictures of all you slobs coming up tonite!!!

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 11:05:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Busted.  Yep the only face I'd put on a target is Osama.  I'm still impressed how ARH managed to cut through the 1.5" sticks, with a 9mm pistol, from 25 and 50 yards away.  While rapid-firing!  Lessons, Sensei?

Next time you're ready to leave, you could try saying, "I'm ready to leave" instead.......
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 11:49:36 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Busted.  Yep the only face I'd put on a target is Osama.  I'm still impressed how ARH managed to cut through the 1.5" sticks, with a 9mm pistol, from 25 and 50 yards away.  While rapid-firing!  Lessons, Sensei?

Next time you're ready to leave, you could try saying, "I'm ready to leave" instead.......

Bookhound has a magic Ruger.
I thought the targets were at 15 and 25 yards away. Lessons anytime you want.

ARH
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 11:56:45 AM EDT
[#29]
You guys got me laughing again.  That first target falling was funny, but when the second one fell I about wet my pants.  Then the look on zzxx99’s face was priceless.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 4:14:11 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I can't say the same thing about Bradd's range buddy though.  

(Just kiddin' Bradd).

Hey, I'll kiss anybody's ass if they're handing out ammo that makes me look like I know how to shoot!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top