Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2003 4:49:34 PM EDT
I must be living right. I had a Oly that I picked up just to sell and DeltaAir423 came through and bought it quickly (THANK YOU!!!). I was all set to order me a new M1A but fate intervened. Today, a guy walks in the store to see if I'd be interested in buying a rifle. I said bring it in and lets look at it. He walks in with a pre-ban Springfield Armory SAR-4800 Match 7.62x51 with 6-20 rounders, a wilderness sling, and a bayonet.

UPDATE!!!!!!
I just got off the phone with Springfield. The rifle was made in  95!!!  WTF!!! I called the guy I bought it from and he was cool about it and will give me my money back. He was pissed because the rifle was in pre-ban configuration when he bought it from a dealer in Florida. This could get interesting as he is a Federal Air Marshal. When I talked to him he was in Florida and wanted all the details because he was going to pay the dealer a visit. More details later. I guess I'll just have to force myself to buy a new rifle from DSA. Oh well

5/7/03 Got my money back today. He is more pissed than I am. He said he was going to pay the dealer in Florida a visit with the rifle in hand. He bought it because the dealer told him it was preban. I guess I'll look around a little more. Now, how to spend $1200????  Hmmmm
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 5:28:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Sweet!!! Sounds like great timing to me!!

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 6:40:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Congrats!  Sounds like an excuse for another get together!  
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 8:00:16 PM EDT
[#3]
WOW!
You lucked out big time.  An excellent rifle you have there, pre-ban to boot.  www.oldgunsupply.com has the best mag prices on the net.  He also posts here as vorbec in EE/rifle mags.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 10:02:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah Mark thanks for the Rifle.  Too bad I haven't had the chance to go out an shoot yet (maybe next friday or sat...CE anyone?????)  I've been at Music midtown the past two days watching some of the more pro gun/bush acts.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:27:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Hey Delta big congrats on that AR buddy!!!! I remember you said something about getting one soon, well there ya go!  
  Joel
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:37:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Update in first post.  Dammit!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:59:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Geez that sucks! let us know how that works out, that dealer could be in big trouble.
 Joel
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:42:31 PM EDT
[#8]
It has a FN short flash suppressor that is not permanently attached plus I have no idea about the US made parts count. I thought about keeping it but since it's actually post ban it would cost more, on top of the premium pre-ban price ($1200 for a rifle that's worth 7-800) I paid, to make it legal. If I was planning on keeping it forever I wouldn't sweat it but I might want to sell it one day. Oh well, at least I'm getting my money back. And some gun dealer in Florida has a pissed off Federal Sky Marshal to deal with.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 4:21:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Glad you got your money back.  How to spend $1200?  Well, the two things on my list right now are a 9mm AR and a Springfield Milspec.  With $1200 I could just about get both.

I actually thought about you yesterday.  I had to drive to Columbus and passed through Newnan.  IIRC, that’s where your shop is located and you had that SA Milspec for cheaper than anyone else.  Too bad I’m broke!

Let us know what you get.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 7:47:27 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Glad you got your money back.  How to spend $1200?  Well, the two things on my list right now are a 9mm AR and a Springfield Milspec.  With $1200 I could just about get both.

Why do you want a 9mm AR?  Just wondering?

The Azalin
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 8:30:33 AM EDT
[#11]
I originally wanted a 9mm just for the cool factor.  Then I changed my mind since 5.56 beats out a 9mm in almost every way (5.56 won’t over penetrate sheetrock like a 9mm; 5.56 had better terminal performance at longer ranges, etc.).  Plus I already have lots of mags for 5.56 ARs and didn’t really want to start buying new stuff for a different gun.

However, a 9mm AR does have some advantages.  For example, it has milder recoil (important for the wife).  For the most part, 9mm is cheaper than 5.56.  A 9mm isn’t as loud if I ever have to shoot one inside without hearing protection.

So, now I’m back to thinking I might actually want one.  I welcome any and all thoughts/comments in it though.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 8:39:50 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I originally wanted a 9mm just for the cool factor.  Then I changed my mind since 5.56 beats out a 9mm in almost every way (5.56 won’t over penetrate sheetrock like a 9mm; 5.56 had better terminal performance at longer ranges, etc.).  Plus I already have lots of mags for 5.56 ARs and didn’t really want to start buying new stuff for a different gun.

However, a 9mm AR does have some advantages.  For example, it has milder recoil (important for the wife).  For the most part, 9mm is cheaper than 5.56.  A 9mm isn’t as loud if I ever have to shoot one inside without hearing protection.

So, now I’m back to thinking I might actually want one.  I welcome any and all thoughts/comments in it though.

You will know by the time we leave CE on Saturday. I have a feeling that you will really like the 9mm AR. No drooling please.

ARH
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 6:22:23 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I personally do no like 9mm because at any range 5.56 has better terminal balistics.  Another down side is that magazines are fairly expensive in comparision to standard 5.56 magazine assuming that you are going with a setup that uses Colt or Uzi magazines.  An equivalent rifle setup with the only diffrent being caliber, 9mm setups weight more.  But then again I am to practical (read = anal)about what I purchase.  If you do get one I am first in line to shoot it.  If you buy a pre-ban we can strap my silencer to it. :)

The Azalin
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top