Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2003 1:33:03 PM EDT
I've been away from the sight for awhile. When I logged back on it had completely changed. It's good to see a Georgia board. USPSA 3 gun at South River on May 18th. Generally 7-8 stages of fire. It's great fun. Come out and play.
Link Posted: 4/25/2003 3:23:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Welcome back!  Can you educate someone who knows nothing about 3 gun matches?  It's rifle, shotgun and pistol, right?  So, how do you shoot the course?  What are the shooting distances?  What kind of gear do you need (e.g. special kind of pistol holster, type of rifle, type of shotgun, mag carriers for rifle, etc.)?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/25/2003 4:59:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Bookhound,
   You can use just about any gear you want, but just remember this is and IPSC style match and not a tactical match. There won't be any tac gear/vests, thigh holsters, etc.. Lets start with rifle.  Most shooters will have some variation of the AR. There are two basic classes you can shoot in, Open or Limited. Basically for rifle, the only difference is optics and bipods. If you use a bipod or optics, any optics, you're in Open. If you shoot iron, you're limited. Beware that if you shoot open in any catagory (rifle,pistol, shotgun) then you will be open across the board regardless of what you shoot. Shotguns are pretty easy. For limited, no optics and 9 rd maximun. If you use optics or load over 9 rds. your open.  For pistol, its pretty much the same. Scopes and comps and your open. Irons and your limited.
As for the actual match. The rifle stages were typically 50yd. and closer. House clearing type stages with your rifle, but there's a rumor we might get one of the rifle ranges and stretch out some. Probably 3 mags will do with one or two mag pouches. For shotgun, it will be shot only, no slugs. Nothing bigger than #6 birdshot. 7 to 8 should be fine. You can carry shell carriers on your shotgun, belt, or forearms. You'll mostly shoot steel and clay pigeons. For pistol, your IDPA style setup would work just fine. If you've got a singlestack pistol, I'd bring at least 5 mags plus mag holders. If you've got a high cap gun, bring at least three. I would imagine about 150 rds. rifle 50-75 shotgun, and about 150 pistol for the match.
Regarding the courses, thats the best thing about IPSC. You won't know the course until you get there. Once again, very similar to IDPA. If you've got any other questions, let me know.

Link Posted: 4/25/2003 5:36:11 AM EDT
[#3]
VSP's answeris on the money. You won't learn any tactics at all. It's run and gun fun. Great practice for shooting on the move and working against the clock/timer. Good shake down for your shooting equipment. Good practice making reloads. We shoot mostly shorter range- under 50 yds. You need about 100 rds of rifle ammo, 2 boxes of shotshells, 100 rds of pistol ammo. Whatever belt, holster,mag pouches you use for your pistol. Belt slides or Choate loaders for holding shotshells. And 1 ar mag pouch or use the back pocket of your jeans. It's great practice. Also shooting under some stress helps you not get tunnel vision when other situations arise.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2003 5:40:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Also the first time out you can probably shoot for free. I believe they still offer that. Plan for the whole day. You need to be there around 9AM. Bring some fluids to drink. Lunch is generally served there. You might bring something to munch on just in case. I'll wear my AR15.Com red convention shirt from last year, so I'll be easy to spot. Look forward to meeting anyone there. It's a big happening, probably 70-80 shooters. It's kind of neat to see who's guns screw up and how they handle it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2003 5:41:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Also it's a Cold Range Facility. You will need to have your carry guns removed already.
Link Posted: 4/25/2003 5:50:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Okay, I've got some more dumb questions.  First off, I've never shot IDPA or IPSC.

Do you carry and shoot all three firearms in the same drill, or are there separate drills for each weapon type?  If so, how do you carry the rifle and shotgun at the same time?

What's the most popular shotgun?  Do most guys use an autoloader or pump?

What's the most prevalent type of pistol, a 1911?

Do you guys shoot in the open or limited classes?  What optics do you personally use on all three firearms?

Thanks, guys, for all the info.  This really sounds like fun.
Link Posted: 4/25/2003 12:24:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok- generally you only shoot one type of firearm per stage. The shotgun can be whatever type you prefer. I shoot a Benelli M1 in Limited class. And a tricked out Remington 1100 28" synthetic in open class(more capacity). 1911's generally rule, but Glocks and other guns are very popular. I shoot primarily open class. I use an Aimpoint Comp on a Armalite carbine. Vent rib on my shotgun- trying to work on a slug sight system now. And a Cmore on my open handgun. I would bring what you have. If you use a Aimpoint or similar on your AR- you are open class, but don't let that bother you. You probably won't place real high in open class. But it's a great learning experience. Once you are in open class with one gun- you are open class for all guns. It's great practice for real life. When I started this in 1995 I thought I was a pretty good shooter, I found out I had a long way too go. My shooting skills are light years better now than they were then. You'll see tactical shooters, LE shooters and alot of people having a good time. One LE guy generally shoots his entry suppressed AR- realy cool !
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 5:47:29 PM EDT
[#8]
So, where is S. River?
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 7:25:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
So, where is S. River?

www.southrivergunclub.com/

ARH
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top