Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2022 1:59:18 PM EDT
Hello,
According to

NC gun laws

States That Have Restricted Reciprocity with North Carolina
North Carolina offers resident and non-resident (members of the military permanently posted in North Carolina) permits. If indicated with “Resident only” below, that state only honors North Carolina resident permits (and not those issued to non-residents).

Arizona (permitless carry, at least 21 years old)
Alaska (permitless carry, at least 21 years old)
Colorado (resident permits only)
Florida (resident permits only)
Iowa (permitless carry, at least 21 years old)
Kansas (permitless carry, at least 21 years old)
Kentucky (permitless carry, at least 21 years old)
Maine (resident permits recognized; see Maine Reciprocity section for details)
Michigan (resident permits only)
Missouri (permitless carry, at least 19 years old, 18 for military)
North Dakota (resident permits only)
Oklahoma (permitless carry, at least 21 years old)
Pennsylvania (resident permits only)
South Carolina (resident permits only)
Tennessee (permitless carry, at least 21 years old)
Texas (permitless carry, at least 21 years old)
Utah (permitless carry, at least 21 years old)
West Virginia (permitless carry, at least 21 years old)
Wyoming (permitless carry, at least 21 years old)

Permitless Carry States
Alaska PC-21
Arizona PC-21
Arkansas PC-18
Idaho PC-18
Iowa PC-21
Kansas PC-21
Kentucky PC-21
Maine (permits recognized; see Maine Reciprocity section for details or PC-21)
Mississippi PC-18
MissouriPC-19
MontanaPC-18
New HampshirePC-18
North DakotaPC-18 for residents only
Oklahoma PC-21
South DakotaPC-18
TennesseePC-21
TexasPC-21
UtahPC-21
VermontPC-18
West Virginia PC-21
Wyoming PC-21
*PC-18 = permitless carry if at least 18 years old

*PC-21 = permitless carry if at least 21 years old

Permitless carry includes constitutional carry states as well as states where an individual must meet certain qualifications, e.g., no DUIs in the last 10 years, in order to legally carry (Tennessee). Each state determines the requirements and any limitations on the carry of firearms. Check each state’s page for more information and any restrictions that may apply.

View Quote

Does anyone know if this is actually true?

I travel to SC alot and always have to unload everything going through NC, a SC LEO told me about this site and showed me SC was a permit less reciprocity with TN as long as I am legal to carry in TN

SO I decided to check NC here and saw basically same thing, is this acurrate?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 9:30:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Here is the law as written.

https://www.ncleg.gov/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_14/GS_14-415.24.html

§ 14-415.24.  Reciprocity; out-of-state handgun permits.

(a)        A valid concealed handgun permit or license issued by another state is valid in North Carolina.

(b)        Repealed by Session Laws 2011-268, s. 22(a), effective December 1, 2011.

(c)        Every 12 months after the effective date of this subsection, the Department of Justice shall make written inquiry of the concealed handgun permitting authorities in each other state as to: (i) whether a North Carolina resident may carry a concealed handgun in their state based upon having a valid North Carolina concealed handgun permit and (ii) whether a North Carolina resident may apply for a concealed handgun permit in that state based upon having a valid North Carolina concealed handgun permit. The Department of Justice shall attempt to secure from each state permission for North Carolina residents who hold a valid North Carolina concealed handgun permit to carry a concealed handgun in that state, either on the basis of the North Carolina permit or on the basis that the North Carolina permit is sufficient to permit the issuance of a similar license or permit by the other state.  (2003-199, s. 1; 2011-268, s. 22(a).)
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 8:40:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Still brings up the question of since I can legally conceal in TN if it is covered in NC...muddy waters
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 10:17:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I doubt the criminals look that hard into the rules .....
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:04:11 AM EDT
[#4]
If you are asking if a person who lives in a state that allows permitless carry of a concealed weapon can legally conceal carry that firearm in NC, the answer is NO...the law states that NC recognizes PERMITS issued by other states...since there is no PERMIT issued in "permitless carry" states, there is no reciprocity in NC.  You can google the NC DOJ and get a list of states that NC recognizes.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 6:53:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hello,
According to

NC gun laws

North Carolina offers resident and non-resident (members of the military permanently posted in North Carolina) permits. If indicated with “Resident only” below, that state only honors North Carolina resident permits (and not those issued to non-residents).

Permitless Carry States
Alaska PC-21
Arizona PC-21
Arkansas PC-18
Idaho PC-18
Iowa PC-21
Kansas PC-21
Kentucky PC-21
Mississippi PC-18
MissouriPC-19
MontanaPC-18
New HampshirePC-18
Oklahoma PC-21
South DakotaPC-18
TennesseePC-21
TexasPC-21
UtahPC-21
VermontPC-18
West Virginia PC-21
Wyoming PC-21

Permitless carry includes constitutional carry states as well as states where an individual must meet certain qualifications, e.g., no DUIs in the last 10 years, in order to legally carry (Tennessee). Each state determines the requirements and any limitations on the carry of firearms. Check each state’s page for more information and any restrictions that may apply.

View Quote

I travel to SC alot and always have to unload everything going through NC, a SC LEO told me about this site and showed me SC was a permit less reciprocity with TN as long as I am legal to carry in TN

Thanks
View Quote

No reason to unload anything in NC just make sure its in plain sight or out of reach if you don't have a permit
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 9:22:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No reason to unload anything in NC just make sure its in plain sight or out of reach if you don't have a permit
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hello,
According to

NC gun laws

Permitless Carry States
Alaska PC-21
Arizona PC-21
Arkansas PC-18
Idaho PC-18
Iowa PC-21
Kansas PC-21
Kentucky PC-21
Mississippi PC-18
MissouriPC-19
MontanaPC-18
New HampshirePC-18
Oklahoma PC-21
South DakotaPC-18
TennesseePC-21
TexasPC-21
UtahPC-21
VermontPC-18
West Virginia PC-21
Wyoming PC-21

Thanks

Ayup, but a Handgun does not have to be ‘out of reach’ in NC. Just has to be visible.  I carry concealed all day every day. In the event I hit a license check or get pulled over(which almost never happen), I set the hg up on the dash or on the passenger seat.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 11:09:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Ayup, but a Handgun does not have to be ‘out of reach’ in NC. Just has to be visible.  I carry concealed all day every day. In the event I hit a license check or get pulled over(which almost never happen), I set the hg up on the dash or on the passenger seat.  
View Quote

He was probably refering to having it "concealed" but not having a ccw...in that case it cannot be easily accessible.  For example, in most of NC having it in the glove compartment is fine even if you don't have a ccw because it is not accessible...having it under the front seat without a ccw would be a "no no".  As was stated, NC is an open carry state so just have it visible but don't expect all NC law enforcement to fully know the laws.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 4:16:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

He was probably refering to having it "concealed" but not having a ccw...in that case it cannot be easily accessible.  For example, in most of NC having it in the glove compartment is fine even if you don't have a ccw because it is not accessible...having it under the front seat without a ccw would be a "no no".  As was stated, NC is an open carry state so just have it visible but don't expect all NC law enforcement to fully know the laws.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s why they make attorneys.. there are a few I know of in the Charlotte lkn area that love these types of cases.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 10:55:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If you are asking if a person who lives in a state that allows permitless carry of a concealed weapon can legally conceal carry that firearm in NC, the answer is NO...the law states that NC recognizes PERMITS issued by other states...since there is no PERMIT issued in "permitless carry" states, there is no reciprocity in NC.  You can google the NC DOJ and get a list of states that NC recognizes.
View Quote

Except that, in addition to being a permitless carry state, TN does issue permits as well.  NC has reciprocity with TN and vice versa.  But since NC is not a permitless carry state, barring open carry, I don't even understand why the OP asked the question.

NC is not on the list he quoted, and it isn't on the TN list as being permitless carry either.  That should tell you that you need to have a permit, which is recognized by the other state, before you conceal carry in that other state.

Not to mention, according to that list, SC is not a permitless carry state either.  So the Trooper was wrong in that respect also.  SC only recognizes permits issued to permanent residents of the other state.  If you are military, you are issued a non-resident permit in NC.  SC does not recognize those for reciprocity.  That is what the list is showing.  The OP twisted the information in the list to suit what he wanted it to say, but it doesn't in any way shape or form support the premise of his question.  In the TN page, it states that SC has limited reciprocity with TN.  It only recognizes permits issued to residents and that are also 21 years of age.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top