Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2021 10:45:05 PM EDT
Wife and I are considering retiring in the Asheville vicinity in a couple of years.  Not the city, out in the sticks but within easy access to good medical, dining, etc.  We want foothills, woods, acreage, and privacy and have seen some very potential properties that seem to have what we are looking for.  I'm currently in FL visiting my folks but toying with making a side trip to there later this week before heading home.

Any and all insights would be welcome, both pro and con.  We are still in the early investigation stage.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 7:42:00 AM EDT
[#1]
You're looking for what a lot of others are looking for. Prepare to get out your checkbook, especially in this market right now.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 7:34:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Asheville/Buncombe county housing is ridiculous. I'd look down the mountain towards Morganton, or north past Weaverville. I grew up here, so I've seen a lot of changes. On one hand, the craft beer and restaurant scene is outstanding; OTOH, traffic is terrible and housing is super expensive. If I hadn't bought property from my family 20 years ago, it would be hard to live where I do.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 9:22:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Asheville/Buncombe county housing is ridiculous. I'd look down the mountain towards Morganton, or north past Weaverville. I grew up here, so I've seen a lot of changes. On one hand, the craft beer and restaurant scene is outstanding; OTOH, traffic is terrible and housing is super expensive. If I hadn't bought property from my family 20 years ago, it would be hard to live where I do.
View Quote

One of the places that has our eye as ideal is in Morganton and another in Rutherford.  Not interested in Asheville itself except for good medical access.

Prices seem good to us....especially compared to Hawaii.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 9:43:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

One of the places that has our eye as ideal is in Morganton and another in Rutherford.  Not interested in Asheville itself except for good medical access.

View Quote
That makes sense, I'd take Morganton over Rutherfordton IMHO, I worked in a lot of WNC towns when I worked for the phone company.  A lot of those towns along 74 are old textile towns and they can be a little depressing.  Are you looking to be closer to the VA or the local hospital in AVL (Mission Hosp)?  The VA is outstanding, but the local hospital has gone way down hill since they were bought out by HCA.  Check out some articles about it on our local news WLOS.  A lot of doctors have moved to the hospitals in Hendersonville.  Don't discount the upstate of SC either.  Considerably cheaper all around and still close to the mountains.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 9:49:11 AM EDT
[#5]
You can get much of the same near Knoxville, TN, Johnson City, TN and Greenville, SC. The cost of living in all of these places is far lower, taxes is far lower. Number of extreme liberal idiots is far lower.
That said, I live about 30 minutes outside of Asheville in the woods and I really like it here. If I were ready to retire and my kids didn’t still need to be in school I’d be on my way to Tennessee.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 11:46:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I like to say Morganton is starting to be like Asheville without the as many stinky hippies, lol. It is still mostly working class folks but they got a few nice places to eat, 3 breweries, strong downtown association, good outdoors activities....

But prices have gone up a lot. We got 20 ac about up near game lands 3 years ago for $120,000. Same land is going for $220,000. Just land, no home, roads, improvements...
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 3:41:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Message sent.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 6:54:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Message sent.
View Quote

Mahalo
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 6:55:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Message sent.
View Quote

It will be fun raising a ruckus with my KH6 callsign
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 12:17:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You can get much of the same near Knoxville, TN, Johnson City, TN and Greenville, SC. The cost of living in all of these places is far lower, taxes is far lower. Number of extreme liberal idiots is far lower.
That said, I live about 30 minutes outside of Asheville in the woods and I really like it here. If I were ready to retire and my kids didn’t still need to be in school I’d be on my way to Tennessee.
View Quote

SC is full lol

Seriously Landrum, Campobello etc have all shot up in price and are no longer the cheaper alternatives.  Johnson City maybe still a good choice.  I love NC but Asheville at least downtown is just a no go these days.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 2:51:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Head west of Asheville,i am near TN line .

Anything east of Waynesville sucks donkey dicks
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 1:59:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Any thoughts on the Tryon area?
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 9:27:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Any thoughts on the Tryon area?
View Quote

I like it there.  It boarders my town on the state line.
Polk Co gun club is in that area and the town itself is nice and quiet.
If you end up there let me know I’ll extend a invite to my lodge if you do.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 12:16:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Dont discount North GA either. I'm only about 5 minutes south of the NC line and about 15 or so to Franklin. As my realtor told me, "there are 8 Democrats in this county and we know where they all live". We cruise into Ashville to visit but I wouldn't live there.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 12:34:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Dont discount North GA either. I'm only about 5 minutes south of the NC line and about 15 or so to Franklin. As my realtor told me, "there are 8 Democrats in this county and we know where they all live". We cruise into Ashville to visit but I wouldn't live there.
View Quote

We're not.  We are taking a trip to NC in March just to scope out different areas and plan to dip down into GA and SC.
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 9:24:45 PM EDT
[#16]
So about 3 weeks ago we spent a week at lake Adger. We used it as a home spot to roam the greater area. We visited Tryon, Landrum, Spartansburg, Hendersonville and all around those areas. We’ll probably be moving into that area middle of next year.

I’m going to start looking at NE Georgia as well. lol
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 9:31:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So about 3 weeks ago we spent a week at lake Adger. We used it as a home spot to roam the greater area. We visited Tryon, Landrum, Spartansburg, Hendersonville and all around those areas. We’ll probably be moving into that area middle of next year.

View Quote

I live in Landrum
If you have any questions about the area let me know.  I work for a construction company so I have pretty good insight to what’s going on in the area
Also you can come visit my lodge
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 10:05:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I live in Landrum
If you have any questions about the area let me know.  I work for a construction company so I have pretty good insight to what’s going on in the area
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I live in Landrum

Thanks Brother I really appreciate that.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 7:00:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I live in Landrum

Not a problem
Those are all nice areas but definitely priced a bit different.
NC is generally more expensive with taxes and home prices. NE GA is getting there but areas near Clayton aren’t as bad as some others near Young Harris.  
Some of the better deals are Pickens Co and Oconee Co.  SC
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 10:08:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lake adger and mill spring is a hidden little gem.
Prices are creeping up there but nothing compared to buncombe county. Also you have a nice drive down 74 to get to Asheville if you so desire.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 10:25:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Morganton is a nice town, as is Rutherfordton.  Rutherford County is mostly conservative with a conservative sheriff.  Tryon is extremely liberal and made up of primarily of transplants from up north.  

Do yourself a favor and spend a couple days in Brevard if you like the outdoors.  It's a popular place in summer but you can get out away from the noise in town easy enough.  It's a beautiful area there that is close to Asheville and the major interstates.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 1:36:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Morganton is a nice town, as is Rutherfordton.  Rutherford County is mostly conservative with a conservative sheriff.  Tryon is extremely liberal and made up of primarily of transplants from up north.  

Do yourself a favor and spend a couple days in Brevard if you like the outdoors.  It's a popular place in summer but you can get out away from the noise in town easy enough.  It's a beautiful area there that is close to Asheville and the major interstates.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When go out to do our recon in March we are initially staying near Hendersonville.  Brevard is on one of our driving loops but we'll make sure and give it a good look.  Thanks for the input!
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 9:41:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

When go out to do our recon in March we are initially staying near Hendersonville.  Brevard is on one of our driving loops but we'll make sure and give it a good look.  Thanks for the input!
View Quote

I am born and raised in Hendersonville.  Im or email me if you have questions.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 3:49:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I am born and raised in Hendersonville.  Im or email me if you have questions.
View Quote

How about a recommendation for a place for dinner.  Bar with good food and music would be nice.

We're gonna be be pretty tired and jet lagged since it our first night.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 5:37:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

How about a recommendation for a place for dinner.  Bar with good food and music would be nice.

View Quote
In Hendersonville, I like Never Blue and the Flat Rock Wood Room.  For music, I'd say check out a brewery like Southern Appalachians or Guidon Brewing. Probably not going to find it all in one place.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 9:30:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

If over in Asheville, we had fun a few nights at Isis Music Hall (here) before covid. Not sure if they are back or not
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 9:33:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

If over in Asheville, we had fun a few nights at Isis Music Hall (here) before covid. Not sure if they are back or not.

EDIT: They are open with mask and vaccine requirements... but it's Asheville, so not unexpected
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 1:20:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Check out Cullowhee and other places in Jackson County.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 2:20:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Check out Cullowhee and other places in Jackson County.
View Quote

Funny you mention that, we looked at a couple places there on Zillow today.  Wife is becoming enamored with that area.  Me too.

For our recon we are going to Hendersonville, big loop through SC and places west to Brevard, up north and west ending in Weaverville and leisurely cruise with side trips ending up in Morganton before heading back to CLT for the night before our flight homme. Left an extra day in case we want to go back and check something out.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 7:57:37 PM EDT
[#30]
There's a great gun shop in Hendersonville if you like milsurp/high end guns...Michael Merker Riflemakers, picked up a sweet matching swp 45 98k there last visit...my Parents live in Etowah, will be there next week Tuesday until Saturday, looking forward to hitting some gunshops...never know what you'll find...
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 9:14:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sorry I just saw this.

NC_Andy's recommendations are good. Also Shine but it's a little more high end.

I got nothing really for Asheville. I work up there but avoid spending my money and time there if possible.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 7:56:27 PM EDT
[#32]
OK, sitting in Charlotte waiting for tomorrow's OMG early flight home after about 6 days touring the western part of the state.  Thanks for all the suggestions even if we didn't have time to check them all out.  H

BLUF - We loved it and the overall visit reinforced our desire to retire here.

Other observations (in no particular order):

- Seems like every town with a population of over 400 has a place selling prebuilt sheds and outbuildings
- Y'all need to slow the fuck down when you drive
- East NC BBQ sauce>West NC BBQ sauce
- The flowering trees everywhere were beautiful
- Y'all need to quit riding my fucking bumper on the highway
- We really like how so many of the towns have really fixed up their downtown Main Street areas
- People were uniformly friendly without being phony
- Y'all need to quit blowing your fuckin horns at me
- We really like Morganton and Rutherfordton areas amongst others
- Highlands has way too many rich motherfuckers with no taste in housing
- Is there anywhere in the west that isn't in the Broad River basin?
- Brevard seemed nice but on the verge of being priced out by too many McMansions
- Asheville seems to be 1-2 years away from present day Seattle/Portland and not in a nice way (first impression)

Biggest thing we got out this trip was an appreciation for the terrain and to eliminate areas we weren't interested in.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:44:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Yep you nailed trashville.. maybe we can convince the locals to move to a liberal state..
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 12:55:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Shoulda strolled down Eagle Street after 11:00 pm to get a real feel for the strength of our diversity. Fast track to out Portland Portland.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 11:10:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Wife and I were born and raised in WNC, (Averys Creek/Mills River area).  Marine Corps drug me away, and I ended up staying on the coast.  We go back a bit due to family.  Lot has changed up there, especially when you only visit a few times a year, or drive through going other places.

Personally, were I to move back up there, I'd find a place west of Brevard.  I've got a fondness for the Highlands-Cashiers area, but I'd consider west of that.

Seems like anything east of Brevard is building up fairly rapidly. I'd have a little concern about that in the Morganton/Rutherford area (OP mentioned that area).  Not so much west of Brevard.  That seems more like intuition and observance of urban sprawl than any metric I could really point my finger to.  Old man yells at cloud I guess. . .

Quoted:
There's a great gun shop in Hendersonville if you like milsurp/high end guns...Michael Merker Riflemakers,
View Quote

About '98, (think he was just starting out) Merker helped me get set up with a good set of iron sights for some of the first shooting matches I'd participated in.  Measuring bore/receiver centerline, trying out different styles of front sights that he had in his shop, getting the rear peep set up.  Silly teenager wasting about two hours of his time.  All he charged me for was the sights.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 11:27:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Wife and I were born and raised in WNC, (Averys Creek/Mills River area).  Marine Corps drug me away, and I ended up staying on the coast.  We go back a bit due to family.  Lot has changed up there, especially when you only visit a few times a year, or drive through going other places.

Personally, were I to move back up there, I'd find a place west of Brevard.  I've got a fondness for the Highlands-Cashiers area, but I'd consider west of that.

Seems like anything east of Brevard is building up fairly rapidly. I'd have a little concern about that in the Morganton/Rutherford area (OP mentioned that area).  Not so much west of Brevard.  That seems more like intuition and observance of urban sprawl than any metric I could really point my finger to.  Old man yells at cloud I guess. . .

About '98, (think he was just starting out) Merker helped me get set up with a good set of iron sights for some of the first shooting matches I'd participated in.  Measuring bore/receiver centerline, trying out different styles of front sights that he had in his shop, getting the rear peep set up.  Silly teenager wasting about two hours of his time.  All he charged me for was the sights.
View Quote

I appreciate your insights.

The Highlands area is just way too much overtaken by the uber rich and I don't think we could afford something there.  The number of new huge houses and country clubs makes it not the type of place we want to be.  Seems to be they're expanding into the Brevard area and real estate reports seem to back this up.  We did the drive up to Waynesville and liked that area as well.

Based on what we are reading and seeing, Morganton and Rutherfordton seem to not have the urban spread in other areas and has a decreasing population unlike Asheville and Hendersonville.

I could be wrong, we are outsiders and only going by what we read and saw.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top