Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2021 11:19:05 AM EDT
I'm not sure what y'all pay in gas tax in NC but it appears your state actually uses it for roads and road maintenance.  We take several trips each year to the OBX and N. Topsail areas, driving from SE VA.  It is so apparent when you hit the NC line that your roads are in much better shape than anything in VA.  We can't wait to retire from VA and move to NC in a couple of years.  VA has simply become the southernmost northern state and it sucks here.

Good on y'all for your roads.
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 3:06:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm not sure what y'all pay in gas tax in NC but it appears your state actually uses it for roads and road maintenance.  We take several trips each year to the OBX and N. Topsail areas, driving from SE VA.  It is so apparent when you hit the NC line that your roads are in much better shape than anything in VA.  We can't wait to retire from VA and move to NC in a couple of years.  VA has simply become the southernmost northern state and it sucks here.

View Quote

I can show you plenty of roads in NC that are crap as the DOT doesn't have money to fix them. But hey they can spend time and money on all those wild flowers they plant along the roads every year
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 7:11:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, we are good at putting lipstick on the pig so it looks the best! LOL

Roads that get tourist, .gov, and rich folks get the best care.

US 1 south out of Raleigh is a great road. Just so happens it goes to Pinehurst... golfing lol.

Or the outer loop of belt line: north side where more affluent live- free ride. South side where more working class live- toll road.
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 9:59:08 PM EDT
[#3]
We feel the same way when we go to SC. Man their roads are crap compared to NC. Of course not all NC roads are great, but our percentage has to be higher than a lot of places.
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 10:32:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

I grew up in NC, lived in VA for over 20 years. Just moved back last summer, and I couldn't be happier.
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 12:43:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
Gas tax Highway use tax
Vehicle sales tax
Reoccurring property tax
Registration fees
Inspection fees
Tag fees
Tolls

But yeah, we have lots of pretty flowers on interstates.

Pretty sure we shot the British for less...

The roads are great as someone said in the areas that King Roy visits or have lots of tourist money. I can show you a washed out culvert that's 2 miles from me that has been sitting and waiting for repair since March of 2020.

The response from A9 DOT has been "we'll get to it when we get to it".

Link Posted: 8/16/2021 2:29:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Gas tax Highway use tax
Vehicle sales tax
Reoccurring property tax
Registration fees
Inspection fees
Tag fees
Tolls

View Quote

Virginia has got all that crap too and still has terrible, grossly overcrowded roads.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top