Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/26/2021 6:09:28 AM EDT
Ok so I have a NC CHP and built several AR pistols myself. I see private sellers asking that people must have a valid PP permit or CHP to purchase a complete AR-Pistol. Is it legat for Joe citizen of legal age to purchase a lower and order an upper assemble it and legally poses this weapon!
I can’t seem to find the laws to make it legal or not? Is it technically a handgun?
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 2:48:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.  The pistol purchase permits are a money generating tool for the county sheriffs.  Build as many AR pistols as you want, the stripped receivers are "other," so you can make them a rifle or a pistol.  Then you can convert an AR pistol to a rifle, you just can't turn it back to a pistol.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 5:29:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes that’s what I thought.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 4:54:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes.  The pistol purchase permits are a money generating tool for the county sheriffs.  Build as many AR pistols as you want, the stripped receivers are "other," so you can make them a rifle or a pistol.  Then you can convert an AR pistol to a rifle, you just can't turn it back to a pistol.
View Quote

Don't think that is correct.  Once a rifle, always a rifle.  A pistol can go to a rifle and back to a pistol.  US vs Thompson Center.

CD
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 8:31:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Don't think that is correct.  Once a rifle, always a rifle.  A pistol can go to a rifle and back to a pistol.  US vs Thompson Center.

CD
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CD

I think legally he is correct. But how is anyone going to prove you used a stripped upper to make a rifle, then made it a pistol and back or vice versa?

Barring some extremely bizarre circumstances, the only way you can get hung up is if the lower left the factory as a rifle. And even that would take contacting the manufacturer and confirming it was transferred to a distributor as a rifle.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 12:08:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

If it started as a pistol you can convert back and forth from pistol to rifle as you please. See "United States v. Thompson-Center Arms Co."
US v. Thompson Center

Thank you for not spreading disinformation in the future. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 11:50:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 12:14:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Close.

First a rifle, always a rifle.
View Quote

You're correct, wrote that wrong.

CD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top