Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/24/2021 6:46:15 PM EDT
We will be using my brother's beach house for the last week of July.

We have been there before. That was a "whole family" affair a few years ago and I didn't have much opportunity to look for things to do.

Most of the family will be beach oriented. That's fine but I get bored out of my skull after a short time on the beach.

He's on the bay. I did try a bit of fishing but I wasn't exactly successful. I'm a  fresh water fisherman, I haven't done much salt water. I wouldn't mind going out on a charter or fishing around the bay. I do have an 8-weight if there are any fly fishing opportunities. ( I have chased stripers on the NJ and Cape Cod beaches, with minimal success).

Any good museums? Any restaurant recommendations?

I'd rather not just spend the week paddling around the bay and drinking.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 7:56:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Pine knoll shores aquarium is pretty cool. Take a day trip up to morehead city and eat somewhere on the water front. While you’re there check out the big rock blue marlin tournament store and weigh station. You can also take a short ferry over to carrot island and check out the wild horses!
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 8:03:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Go to Fort Macon at the end of Atlantic Beach.  Great tour guides, lots of trails, live fire musket shooting twice a day and plenty of nice non related ladies in skimpy clothing.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 2:59:12 PM EDT
[#3]
If anyone in the family dives, you are in great place to do some wreck diving.

Olympus Dive Shop in Morehead.

Discovery Dive Center in Beaufort.

Link Posted: 6/26/2021 9:42:15 AM EDT
[#4]
We don't dive.

Carrot island will work for my daughter, she's a bit obsessed with horses.

I can't pass up a good fort.

What's the deal on fishing at the end of July? Worthwhile to do a charter at that time of year? Can anyone recommend a captain or boat?

Thanks Guys!
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 10:38:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Bill Collector or Sensation are some of the best charter boats down here. They are catching mahi, wahoo and bill fish most of the summer.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 9:07:13 AM EDT
[#6]
NC Maritime Museum in nearby Beaufort, big Blackbeard display. The QAR lies in about 25' of water not far from Beaufort Inlet, and there are a lot of displays from it at the museum.

Cape Lookout is nearby, with a really cool lighthouse and small museum. The ferry leaves from Harker's Island every half hour (but at the :15 and :45, not top and half hour). Definitely worth it.
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 4:27:02 PM EDT
[#7]
go visit the wild horses off of Beaufort you will have to take a ferry over to see them but its cool..
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 5:15:22 PM EDT
[#8]
If you want to drive a little there are good restaurants at The Cotton Exchange in Wilmington.  2+ hours

Also a nice aquarium in Ft. Fisher.   Take the ferry from Ft Fisher to Southport and there's a Christmas store your wife will like. I like it as it's air conditioned. lol  2.5 hours

Oh, didn't see you don't drive.
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 5:59:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you want to drive a little there are good restaurants at The Cotton Exchange in Wilmington.  2+ hours

Also a nice aquarium in Ft. Fisher.   Take the ferry from Ft Fisher to Southport and there's a Christmas store your wife will like. I like it as it's air conditioned. lol  2.5 hours

Oh, didn't see you don't drive.
View Quote

I will run those by my wife;)

BTW - I don't DIVE.

Drive? I love to drive. I even like to get lost when I drive.

My son and I drove an hour on Father's day just to hear the engines wail and the tires howl.
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 6:33:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Bill Collector or Sensation are some of the best charter boats down here. They are catching mahi, wahoo and bill fish most of the summer.
View Quote

@Fishinfool1991

Bill Collector is booked into September.

I'm ready to book with Sensation, I'm just wondering about the fishing on a half day trip as opposed to a full day. The boys and I are good for a full day, the girls are hesitant to go for more than a half. Do you have any insight on that?

Any thoughts on fishing from shore or from my small boat?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 11:19:09 PM EDT
[#11]
If you’re looking for a half day trip give chasin tails a call for one of their back water trips. You’ll catch red fish, trout and if you wanted them to take you in the ocean they would put you on some Spanish mackerel. I’m not a big fan of eating Spanish mackerel so I’d suggest the red fish trip.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 12:10:08 PM EDT
[#12]
We went to my brother's for a cook out on Saturday. The kids are all in for a full day trip so I booked the Sensation.

My brother and his wife also have a bunch of suggestions - as you would expect since it's their place. There are a surprising number of places to drink within bicycle distance.    

Regarding fishing - my brother tells me that his neighbors fish the intercoastal. He's not much for fishing himself.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 11:56:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Let me know how y’all do/did
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 8:26:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Here's another thought that came to me yesterday - what are the opportunities for hunting hogs in July?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 4:40:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Cross the bridge to Swansboro and check out Yannas. It is in the old section. Retro decor
with a statue of Elvis (if still there). Small hole in the wall place to eat, but crowded. Be
amazed at the efficiency and coordination of the people behind the counter. An interesting
place.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 4:27:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Let me know how y’all do/did
View Quote

@Fishnfool1991

We spent the day on Sensation. Adam Price and the crew are top notch. The boat is roomy, comfortable and well set up for fishing. I recommend them without reservation.
Chopper is the boat dog. He has impressive manners but he gets very excited when a fish is on.
I discovered on the way back that Adam is on Wicked Tuna for his second year. I guess I need to watch more TV.
The morning was a bit rough and stormy. The girls were queasy for most of the day.

A Sail hit three times while the crew was still setting lines! Unfortunately didn't hook it but there was excitement right away. After boating six fish I checked in with Adam,  of the other boats the most they had gotten was one.

We had steady action the whole day. We had quite a crowd gather at the dock as the guys unloaded the well. I couldn't ask for a better first charter.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

We did get out to Shackleford banks to pick shells and see the horses. The group kept me plenty busy - I didn't get to do as much fishing on my own as I had expected.
Overall - we had a blast.
Thanks guys!

Link Posted: 8/1/2021 10:56:41 PM EDT
[#17]
That’s awesome. I’m glad y’all hit them on a good day. Sounds like you managed your week nicely!
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 8:38:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Cross the bridge to Swansboro and check out Yannas. It is in the old section. Retro decor
with a statue of Elvis (if still there). Small hole in the wall place to eat, but crowded. Be
amazed at the efficiency and coordination of the people behind the counter. An interesting
place.
View Quote

I know this is a bit late but check out Swansboro Food and Beverage right across from Yanna’s.  The blackened chicken drip appetizer is crazy good.
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 10:27:04 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm headed down there tomorrow for a couple days kid free with the wife. I'd prefer to just chill but the wife may want to explore a little. Looks like it's pretty close to Camp Lejeune. And surplus shops worth looking at?
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 7:59:08 AM EDT
[#20]
@Shiff

Just surplus?  I'd hit Saigon Sams.  They have two locations.  One on Western Blvd. in Jacksonville and one on Wilmington Hwy across from New River Air Station.

I'd go to the one across from the Air Station.  Closed on Sunday, though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top