Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/8/2021 7:14:12 PM EDT
I'm kicking around a transfer to Greensboro from Austin, Tx. I would be working at location near the Greensboro Coliseum Complex. Please offer your advice on the city itself as well as the sought after (safer) areas to live within a 20 min commute to that general area. I'm looking to spend about 500k on a smaller (2bd) historic bungalow type home.   Wife works from home and no kids.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 9:59:31 PM EDT
[#1]
We bought a second home here in Greensboro last year to be close to my wife's work. I can't wait for the weekends to come so we can go home to our quiet little rural county for a few days.

Where we live in the NW part of the city is OK, but a mile or two in most directions starts to look ghetto. Seems like nice areas and hood areas are scattered about. It is like any larger city in that it is busy, noisy, hood rats shooting each other every week or so, typical assortment of places to shop and eat out, etc.

Greensboro is pretty blue. Still see lots of BLM and LGBTQBBQWTF yard signs and flags around,  even a few in the expensive neighborhood up the street. We've met a few decent folks but by and large people are not exactly friendly. I only know two neighbors by name so far. Everyone else acts like we don't exist.

I wouldn't say its a great place to put down roots and call home, but its tolerable for a place to stay for work reasons.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 10:17:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I've never been to Austin but from what I hear it is a liberal mecca. But I do have a friend that lives there and really likes it.

I have been to and worked near Greensboro. It is not where I would choose to live, lets just leave it at that. I would find another location to transfer to if it were me.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 9:11:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Hell you’re prob already moved in....  my wife’s family lives, I don’t even know what it’s called but in a decently sized pocket of decency.  Ahhh. The Lindsey Park area.  South of Walker and bounded by the Arboretum and UNCG.  Like everywhere it’s getting up there in $$$ but still manageable.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 8:15:54 PM EDT
[#4]
$500k will get you a lot of house in The Greensboro area. North side right out of downtown is the area you’d be looking at. Someone else mentioned Lindley Park. The Kirkwood neighborhood is a mix of young and old. My friends (late 30s) live in there and love it. They’ve met all of the neighbors and hang out and party with them. Kirkwood is close to everything too.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 11:22:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Most cities the size of Greensboro have turned into shells of their former selves and are now blue. Greensboro used to be "OK". There are still some decent areas.

Stay NW or try Kernersville, although KVegas isn't exactly nirvana anymore either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top