Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2021 1:14:49 PM EDT
New to NC. Anyone see this h197 bill? Do things like this stand a chance in this State,  Or is this just something that's introduced and shut down on a yearly basis?
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 8:33:45 PM EDT
[#1]
What is it?

ETA: I see another constitutional carry bill. Time to email and call my reps.

Since you are new to NC.. a constitutional carry bill was shot down twice when we had a supermajority R legislature and governor.  Largely due to the NC sheriffs association which is also majority R. They don’t want to lose their pistol permit or cchl money.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 10:04:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
 Largely do to the NC sheriffs association which is also majority R. They don’t want to lose their pistol permit or cchl money.
View Quote

I don't think that the $35 per carry permit or $5 per purchase permit is much of a windfall for the local sheriffs department after you cover the administrative and records keeping costs.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 12:26:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I don't think that the $35 per carry permit or $5 per purchase permit is much of a windfall for the local sheriffs department after you cover the administrative and records keeping costs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
 Largely do to the NC sheriffs association which is also majority R. They don’t want to lose their pistol permit or cchl money.

They already keep most of the records.  The admin costs are small compared to revenue.  I don’t believe the ‘keeping us safe’ statism talk. There is likely close to 1million cchl holders in NC now FWIW.

Per This link only 3 sheriffs were for this bill back in 2015..
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 8:48:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

No its about power I was told by the lawyer at the NC Sheriff's association once that they wont approved of any bill that removes power from the NC sheriff's
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 1:12:57 PM EDT
[#5]
So, you need a permit to buy a pistol, they do a background check to verify you can own/purchase, and then you get a purchase permit. But, then you can't actually have the pistol on you unless you get another permit? So then You have to take an 8 hour course, prove proficient accuracy at different range distances, and forgo all of your personal health records to your local sheriff ?

So.

1) If you have a wife or daughter who can't shoot well at distance, and they are being attacked, they don't have the right to protect themselves ?
2) If you have PTSD, or anxiety, the local sheriff plays Doctor and qualifies whether you have the right to save yourself or loved ones ?
3) If you're new to the area, and legally can buy a gun, you can't protect yourself with it until you jump through all of these hoops?

What happens in the meantime when you're at a grocery store and you left your legally owned firearm at home because you don't have permission to actually have it on you, and some psycho goes in and kills everyone? You just have to huddle your family in the corner and hope for the best ?

I'm all for keeping guns out of the hands of criminals. But this just sounds like a permit that solely targets/prohibits the already inherently law abiding folks.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 8:02:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So, you need a permit to buy a pistol, they do a background check to verify you can own/purchase, and then you get a purchase permit. But, then you can't actually have the pistol on you unless you get another permit? So then You have to take an 8 hour course, prove proficient accuracy at different range distances, and forgo all of your personal health records to your local sheriff ?

So.

1) If you have a wife or daughter who can't shoot well at distance, and they are being attacked, they don't have the right to protect themselves ?
2) If you have PTSD, or anxiety, the local sheriff plays Doctor and qualifies whether you have the right to save yourself or loved ones ?
3) If you're new to the area, and legally can buy a gun, you can't protect yourself with it until you jump through all of these hoops?

What happens in the meantime when you're at a grocery store and you left your legally owned firearm at home because you don't have permission to actually have it on you, and some psycho goes in and kills everyone? You just have to huddle your family in the corner and hope for the best ?

Yes you need a purchase permit or a CHP to buy a handgun in NC however you don't need a permit to carry as long as its open carry. If you want to carry concealed then you need a CHP
I'm all for keeping guns out of the hands of criminals. But this just sounds like a permit that solely targets/prohibits the already inherently law abiding folks.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/31/2021 10:14:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

So.

View Quote

Ayup. I refuse to pay money for a cchl, my wife doesn’t have one either..  it’s only a misdemeanor and I would file suit for fun. On the rare occasion I need to buy a new handgun I’m forced to pay the king for a permit.  It’s a shame these bastions of freedom won’t repeal these laws that infringe on the 2A.  

As a side note, I have seen very little local push from gun owners or organizations for this bill. So it’s likely to fail again.   I’m telling everyone I can and writing/calling my reps.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 5:48:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So, you need a permit to buy a pistol, they do a background check to verify you can own/purchase, and then you get a purchase permit. But, then you can't actually have the pistol on you unless you get another permit?

So then You have to take an 8 hour course, prove proficient accuracy at different range distances, and forgo all of your personal health records to your local sheriff ?
View Quote

You need a permit for concealed carry.  Over 18 and not a felon can open carry.  My neighbor's son is under 21, has a handgun, has to open carry since he's not of age to get a CHP.

I realize that's probably not the way most want to go, open carry and all, but it is a NC legal option.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 3:06:23 PM EDT
[#9]
While everyone is writing their reps.  Tell them to pass HB189 quick like.

NC Legislature HB189
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 5:07:40 PM EDT
[#10]
And to pass HB 559 too - was proposed this week and would get rid of the permits
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top