Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/6/2020 12:42:19 PM EDT
This is not legal in NC, right?
Friend headed to GA from out west towing a skid steer and another trailer with attachments behind that.
He just sent me a pic of his rig and I told him to stop in TN. Am I wrong?

3500 with a sxs in the bed, bumper towing a dump trailer with a skid steer, pulling a trailer with attachments
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 5:10:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
This is not legal in NC, right?
Friend headed to GA from out west towing a skid steer and another trailer with attachments behind that.
He just sent me a pic of his rig and I told him to stop in TN. Am I wrong?

3500 with a sxs in the bed, bumper towing a dump trailer with a skid steer, pulling a trailer with attachments
View Quote

I not sure but I am going to say no since all that is attach to the bumper the NCDOT will love to see him going down the road.

EDIT: the answer is a big NO.

https://www.ncleg.gov/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_20/GS_20-116.html

(d)       Maximum Length. - The following maximum lengths apply to vehicles. A truck-tractor and semitrailer shall be regarded as two vehicles for the purpose of determining lawful length and license taxes.

(1)        Except as otherwise provided in this subsection, a single vehicle having two or more axles shall not exceed 40 feet in length overall of dimensions inclusive of front and rear bumpers.

(e)        Except as provided by G.S. 20-115.1, no combination of vehicles coupled together shall consist of more than two units and no such combination of vehicles shall exceed a total length of 60 feet inclusive of front and rear bumpers,
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 5:50:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow, im from MN and we towed like this all the time. Im surprised to see that both NC and SC are not on this list of being legal.
https://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguide.com/triple_towing/

I know I've still seen people do it around here without issue.. But as the article says maybe some are licensed commercial and there is different regulations than personal.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 8:35:06 PM EDT
[#3]
this map came up this morning on the Liberty Mutual insurance website when I googled " double tow laws" or similar
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 6:04:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Officially it's a "no" but people do it all the time. I see it at the beach a lot with RVs
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top