Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/2/2020 11:28:30 PM EDT
He did great today considering it was his first time shooting.  He didn't have any flinch with the trigger.  When he pulled the trigger after the last shot in the mag, he was as smooth as silk.  No jerk, no anticipation.  It was just smooth.  In that regard, he did better than I normally do (I'll get a little antsy from time to time, expecting recoil).  

I consider myself to be a decent shooter, but nothing special.  I'm also honest enough to understand that I am not a very good teacher.  I can do a lot of things but I fail miserably when it comes to teaching others to do that thing.  I normally go by feel, be it golf, video games, shooting, etc.  

He absolutely loved going shooting today and I want to make him into a lifelong shooter and lover of all things firearm-related.  He told my wife that his favorite part was watching me shoot my rifle.  He called the rounds, "missiles."  I guess, the 10/22 he was shooting compared to the .223 I was shooting, it makes sense.  No matter, he had a great time.  

We're near Charlotte but I am willing to drive as far as 3 hours to get him hooked up with an instructor that can teach him to improve his marksmanship.  My fear is if I try to teach him, he may come to dislike shooting because I am not a good teacher.  

If anyone is willing to take on a 9-year old as a student, please PM me.  I'd prefer to keep further conversation about this private, for reasons that I will explain in those messages.  I'm more than happy to pay for lessons.  I might even be willing to host an instructor for a day or two and provide transportation to the range if everything lines up.  

Before anyone recommends the traditional routes of training and teaching, please understand there are reasons why I wish to not go that route.  I'm fully aware that private lessons cost more and I am okay with that to a certain point.  

If you have any interest, again, please PM me.  I'm not terribly concerned with credentials and certifications.  I'd be perfectly fine with a new instructor provided there is an understanding about certain things that would be discussed via PM (nothing awkward, just things I prefer to not discuss in an open forum).  

I am also going to cross post this into the SC Hometown forum as well.  

Thank you, in advance, to anyone who decides to reach out.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 12:30:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Give these folks a call.

They may be able to accommodate your needs

http://www.takeaimtrainingrange.wildapricot.org/

@baxt3r
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 4:46:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Pebbles from On Target in Asheville is who you seek.

She is phenomenal (real name Dawn) her and her husband Jeff own the place. Both are great people. The range is indoor so no rifles except pistol caliber and 22LR

I know exactly where you are coming from. I’m an instructor and am currently working with my 10 year old son. He has started shooting his great grandfathers 22 pistol to go along with his M&P 22....
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 11:36:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Consider enrolling him in the Project Appleseed shoots at Camp Butler NC or elsewhere.  

https://appleseedinfo.org/

CD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top