Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/23/2020 9:48:25 AM EDT
Hey all,
Looking to take a trip to North Ga and NC.  Trying to find a place to retire to.  SW Fl is played.  Too hot, and is turning into Miami West.

Saw Franklin NC.  Looks promising.
Any thoughts ?  Surrounding areas ?
Thx........
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 10:45:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I had family that lived there years ago. I have been there since then.

It is right there at the Nantahala National Forest. Pretty area but remote IMHO.

Since you say retire, the one thing that would concern me there is medical facilities and doctors. Unfortunately as we all get older, medical care is a necessity for most. That area would concern me for that reason alone.

It is a fairly rural location and the entertainment/shopping/etc. is fairly limited there as well.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 8:20:27 PM EDT
[#2]
well it will be improvement for medical in nc over swfl...
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 6:57:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
well it will be improvement for medical in nc over swfl...
View Quote

No problem with medical here.
What part of SW Fl did you live, that there were problems ?
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 9:49:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Live in Fort myers for 9 months  wife work in naples..

coming out the northeast was leaps and bounds much better than the care we saw in SWFL..

Care is much better in the rtp area than it was in the northeast..

Link Posted: 12/8/2020 1:23:06 PM EDT
[#5]
My parents don't live in Franklin proper, but they do live in Macon County.

45minutes to an hour from Asheville and Highlands ain't too shabby. It's more blue collar and conservative than upscale Highlands and wacky, liberal Asheville.  I appreciated the addition of the few breweries in town.

Coming from subtropical Texas (pretty similar to your FL), the weather in NC is amazing, and the scenery is pretty great. You'll never run out of options for hiking trails, waterfalls, and climbing if that's your thing.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 10:51:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Buy a nice generator
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 10:35:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Franklin is a small town , seems pretty quiet.
I used to deliver for Dollar General there's a kick ass Mexican  restaurant just down the street.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 1:33:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I just saw a video of a BLM protest in June of last year.
I thought, wtf ?????  I would have never thought there were so many Marxists in Franklin !

A bunch of Karens, and dopey white people, marching with Marxist BLM activists ????
We're going to Blairsville in a few days.  We planned on looking in Murphy and Franklin also for a possible retirement place.
Maybe Franklin is a place to avoid.
I mean, I live right by Ft Myers, and there was'nt any of that going here.
Wow !
Am I wrong ?  If so, that doesn't look very good for visitors and perspective residents.
Thoughts ???? Thx
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top