Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 7:37:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Can’t make the 10/3 run.  I’m gonna work on the run part of that equation tho for future ones!
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 8:20:32 PM EDT
[#2]
There's now an APC subforum Here
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 10:19:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Working with @jdsbusa on a commo class in October.

Who all is interested?
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 5:29:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Who all is interested?
View Quote
I'm interested and should be good any weekend but the 30th.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 5:37:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who all is interested?

I'm looking at the 17th, 18th, 24th, or 25th. Right now it depends on jds' schedule.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 5:55:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm looking at the 17th, 18th, 24th, or 25th. Right now it depends on jds' schedule.
View Quote
Groovy.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 10:16:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I’m in barring any serious interference.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 7:12:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I’m in barring any serious interference.
View Quote

You want to meet up somewhere?
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 9:18:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Indeed.  I feel a beer coming on.....
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 6:00:51 PM EDT
[#10]
There's Muddy Creek greenway that's pretty flat and definitely long enough we could do it as an out and back. If we meet up on the Robin Hood road side, there's a Messican joint just up the road we could get some cerveza and tacos at.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 12:26:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Get your Pioneer Task Book here!!!!
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 7:28:01 PM EDT
[#12]
LATE NOTICE HIKE - Saturday, Nov 14th at Salem Lake. When we get there we'll decide of we're doing the whole lake (approx 7.5 miles) or just a 6 miler. Meet at 2:45pm at the marina at 815 Salem Lake Road Winston-Salem, NC 27107
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 8:44:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Forecast for 63 deg.  I think I am in with a full 45lb load.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 9:38:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 10:38:14 PM EDT
[#15]
I plan to be there.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 11:07:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 7:52:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Should be able to make it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 8:25:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:11:36 AM EDT
[#19]
We will be doing a full day event date TBD. Tentative schedule is 6 mile ruck (3 mile option for any new members) starting at 10:00am. After the ruck we will have lunch (bring your own - depending on location we may not have any cooking areas) and then continue into two blocks of training - intro to land nav, and intro into mountaineering. How in depth we go will depend on getting the proper members there to run the classes. I will post up a seperate thread and try and tag everyone in it. This is a perfect time to reach out to friends outside our normal circle and bring them into the fold!
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 6:36:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
We will be doing a full day event date TBD. Tentative schedule is 6 mile ruck (3 mile option for any new members) starting at 10:00am. After the ruck we will have lunch (bring your own - depending on location we may not have any cooking areas) and then continue into two blocks of training - intro to land nav, and intro into mountaineering. How in depth we go will depend on getting the proper members there to run the classes. I will post up a seperate thread and try and tag everyone in it. This is a perfect time to reach out to friends outside our normal circle and bring them into the fold!
View Quote

Tagged for info
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:57:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Tagged as well.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:00:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Crossposted from the thread in the APC HTF:

I'm thinking for this exercise Uhwarrie will be a better fit. It's more centrally located so we can hopefully get more folks in from around the state.

Now we need instructors.

It's been 21 years since I have done land nav. Anyone have some more recent experience?

We also need someone to do the intro to mountaineering. I know when we do the rappelling class (I'm figuring March or April for that one) @FREEFALLE7 will be our main instructor, and that will be at Rocky Face. I'll try and have that one set up as a midday class to let those who will be traveling to have time to get there.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:44:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 3:24:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Yea on the knots, no worries I can teach them.

Much easier tying knots at the rope coral than when you are underwater wearing a weight belt.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 3:28:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I'm thinking for this exercise Uhwarrie will be a better fit. It's more centrally located so we can hopefully get more folks in from around the state.

Now we need instructors.

It's been 21 years since I have done land nav. Anyone have some more recent experience?

We also need someone to do the intro to mountaineering. I know when we do the rappelling class (I'm figuring March or April for that one) @FREEFALLE7 will be our main instructor, and that will be at Rocky Face. I'll try and have that one set up as a midday class to let those who will be traveling to have time to get there.
View Quote
Uharrie os a good spot for land nav, just need some maps and we can set up some points via GPS.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 3:33:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Just gotta get ropes and have individuals get ropes for Swiss seats and carabiners.

Might buy a couple actual harnesses to teach and then once everyone is good, we can rappel with our rope Swiss seats.

Link Posted: 1/4/2021 8:05:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Uharrie os a good spot for land nav, just need some maps and we can set up some points via GPS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now we need instructors.

My goal for this is the crawl stage. Reading a typo map, identifying terrain features, finding your location by triangulation, plotting points.

Next go around would be a super quick refresher and then finding points.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 8:06:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Just gotta get ropes and have individuals get ropes for Swiss seats and carabiners.

Might buy a couple actual harnesses to teach and then once everyone is good, we can rappel with our rope Swiss seats.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/4/2021 8:24:49 AM EDT
[#29]
From Ben: 2021 direction
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 9:40:09 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm guessing dates still TBD?   Early Feb would be better for me.

Other than the one weekend day/month I have to work, some Highpower rifle matches might get in the way.

XTC matches at Camp Butner are the weekend of Jan 30-31 and Feb 27-28 (are HP matches still part of APC firearms portion?).  My son shooting HP and getting on one of NC's junior teams makes attendance even more of a priority.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 10:14:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 10:17:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

If only some part of APC had an account as a public safety organization allowing them to get MGRS maps at whatever scale they like...

Oh...wait...

Send me the center MGRS grid of where you want.
View Quote

That would be much easier. . .
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 11:10:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

If only some part of APC had an account as a public safety organization allowing them to get MGRS maps at whatever scale they like...

Oh...wait...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now we need instructors.

Oh...wait...

@Ben I'm not sure how to get you the center grid, but here's a map of the area I'm looking for: Uwharrie Nat Forest
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 11:44:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 7:58:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

So...short lesson time- it will change your world.

Google Earth Pro is now free to download and use. In it, you can change the settings to display grids in MGRS.

You can also add range rings/threat rings, or upload hikes from your GPS and have it map them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now we need instructors.

Oh...wait...

@Ben I'm not sure how to get you the center grid, but here's a map of the area I'm looking for: Uwharrie Nat Forest

So...short lesson time- it will change your world.

Google Earth Pro is now free to download and use. In it, you can change the settings to display grids in MGRS.

You can also add range rings/threat rings, or upload hikes from your GPS and have it map them.

Link Posted: 1/5/2021 9:18:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 8:39:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Now get me an eight digit MGRS grid so I can get you a map, because that looks big enough that the whole forest would take more than one map.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now get me an eight digit MGRS grid so I can get you a map, because that looks big enough that the whole forest would take more than one map.

Looks like the full grid based on Google Earth is 17SNV9042619500 for the center of the map that I think will cover the training area(s) we will most likely be using.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 9:03:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Definitely interested. Going to be out of town Presidents Day weekend and one other in the next month or so (not sure when yet unfortunately) but otherwise I'm down.

Also might have the Commie Flu (getting tested this afternoon) so this weekend would be out unfortunately. Hopefully it doesn't make you a Commie permanently.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 9:44:06 PM EDT
[#39]
All trails is a good source for planning a route.  They also have a great mobile phone app.  It's a charge for offline maps.

https://www.alltrails.com/parks/us/north-carolina/uwharrie-national-forest

Here is another:  Red is 4x4, Blue is hiking/horse
https://i2.wp.com/onsc4x4.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Uwharrie-OHV-Map.jpg

Link Posted: 1/7/2021 11:09:25 PM EDT
[#40]
What is Uwharrie's thoughts on going off trail?

With land nav, it's shoot an azimuth, know your pace count, and walk a relatively straight line to your points, depending on terrain?
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 8:30:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

With land nav, it's shoot an azimuth, know your pace count, and walk a relatively straight line to your points, depending on terrain?
View Quote
Should be fine.  There's enough trails and roads criss-crossing for an emergency out if needed.

Link Posted: 1/8/2021 12:30:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Anyone have a gotenna?

I bought a set and have been itching to try it out. This seems like a good time to give it a try.

Link Posted: 1/8/2021 10:30:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Should be fine.  There's enough trails and roads criss-crossing for an emergency out if needed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/8/2021 10:30:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Anyone have a gotenna?

I bought a set and have been itching to try it out. This seems like a good time to give it a try.

View Quote

I do not.

Hope that helps
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 4:21:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Sounds interesting. Any prerequisites to join in on the fun?
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 4:35:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Sounds interesting. Any prerequisites to join in on the fun?
View Quote

Nope. The more the merrier!
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 2:31:03 PM EDT
[#47]
I definitely want to get in on this, if I'm in town.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 5:51:08 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm in on whatever this is
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 6:01:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Do we have a backup comms channel as it appears Arf's days may be numbered?
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 6:18:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Do we have a backup comms channel as it appears Arf's days may be numbered?
View Quote

Came here to post the same thing.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top