Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2014 3:12:04 AM EDT
Just graduated from UNCC - Looking for work in the State

Got my resume for anyone that would like to see it -

In a nutshell,

Hard working, Military Vet , 10 point preference, studied Arabic at UNCC, 2 combat deployments, secret clearance, History and Criminal Justice

Know my stuff as far as weapons, leadership, adaptability . Id love to get a job with DHS or something or as a security contractor out at duke

Edited language:  DV8
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 3:29:48 AM EDT
[#1]
But im willing to give anything a shot
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 6:47:10 AM EDT
[#2]
IM me your email address.  

I don't have a job for you but I do know people.  Be happy to see if I could introduce you
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:22:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Thought about SBI?
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 1:32:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thought about SBI?
View Quote

Considered it.. But does our state have a counter terrorism program?
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 7:19:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Guys?
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 8:37:32 PM EDT
[#6]
ok, Sadly I am a SME on looking for work. I left Camp Bondsteel 12 Jan 2007.
I thought I would be in a cast for 6-8 weeks and then back to work.
Things got complicated. I only managed to rejoin the work force in Oct 2013.
Six years of looking for work, and then returning to school to start a new career.

The job market is that tough. still is

Your degree is less valuable right now that your security clearance. And the clock is ticking on that. If you are ever thinking of using it, go for it now. Once it runs out a lot of the .gov market will ignore you.
Not really interested in .gov work?  Think about looking with no work for six years. If you have crappy work, you still have work while looking for something else. With your background I know of a couple of OCONUS guard gigs you could get.
Big money? nope this isn't 2002 anymore, but a years work that can be tax free while you acclimate to civi life in an environment you are familiar with and the ability to remind .mil guys that there are no article 15's in your future.

If you want to stay in NC get on USAJOBS  and see if you can leverage your SC into work on Bragg, or the like.
History degree can get you into teaching, I am aware of a program that transitions .mil into teaching, but dont have the details.

You CJ degree will help you get into the State LE, but wont do much for you with local departments as far as money. Larger departments like Greensboro/Charlotte/Raleigh  it can help.
You will have to go through the NC Police training,  Known as BLET. Again large departments run their own and will pay you while you go. You will get through fine, I was a BLET instructor.
Keep in mind that the economy SUCKS. That hurts everyone especially the state. Less tax revenue, less money funnelled back from the feds, less services, less police, less probation officers, less SBI agents, less new hires.

You can post here, or pm me and I will tell you what I can.

NOI
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 11:09:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks

That's pretty depressing

Am I gonna have to go be a mercenary in the democratic republic of Congo

I'm gonna poke around I'll keep y'all updated
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 4:37:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Greensboro PD is currently accepting applications for the next PBIC.  Just an FYI.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 7:14:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Can this be the recent graduates job thread? I'm in a similar position as you minus the military background. Graduated with Honors with a Bachelor's in Emergency Management and Associates in Criminal Justice and it's been pretty tough finding decent jobs.

The SBI had openings a couple weeks ago for recent graduates where they pay for you to go through BLET and then their academy in Raleigh. The only reason I didn't apply was because a friend of mine who is an SBI Agent informed me I'd more than likely end up giving Polygraphs or being an Arson investigator. The ALE is currently hiring though if that's something you would be interested in, from what I've read they've basically transformed into a do it all agency for the state.

Constantly look at USAJobs.gov and OSHR for NC. I took the advice of many and started the hiring process for Charlotte Fire Department last month when they had their annual openings but it's a 6 month process. Unless I get a Business Continuity job, EM Job with the state or a large city I'll put all my effort into CFD.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 7:22:18 PM EDT
[#10]
State Troopers are about 150 short.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 12:43:56 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm a disabled vet with 10 point preference

Don't think I'll be a street cop or trigger puller , my language and background would be an advisory or analytical liaison role or something

Kicker is I am one of a few people in the army sent to to a Navy electronic warfare course, I schooled side by side with prowler and f18 pilots to learn about Electronic Warfare . I became one of the Battalion a Electronic Warfare officers and SME on counter IED systems. - I was actually sent to the course and had it assigned as a secondary duty as a punishment because I wouldn't reenlist and nobody wanted to go lol . Worked and trained with a lot of Lockheed and Raytheon folks. Went through an Air force course too for EWO
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 5:27:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I have nothing in your field, but will be opening a few restaurants in the Charlotte area within the next year. Real estate is purchased, and just waiting on the final building and zoning permits. Always looking for talent, and Vets are welcome to apply for any position should their experiences and expertise prove useful to our business model. We will start hiring managers within the next few months, starting in the 50-60k range. If you don't have anything by then, please let me know, would be happy to interview you!
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 1:42:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have nothing in your field, but will be opening a few restaurants in the Charlotte area within the next year. Real estate is purchased, and just waiting on the final building and zoning permits. Always looking for talent, and Vets are welcome to apply for any position should their experiences and expertise prove useful to our business model. We will start hiring managers within the next few months, starting in the 50-60k range. If you don't have anything by then, please let me know, would be happy to interview you!
View Quote

Much appreciated , my folks own a very famous restaurant chain in Charlotte

La Strada if you've ever heard of it. My uncle and dad had them in Charlotte and grandfather currently runs the biggest one in Lake Lure
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 1:43:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Academi (formerly Blackwater, Xe, et al) has some OCONUS contract positions they are posting. Some of these, while armed, are more static base defense related.

http://careers.academi.com/index.php?m=portal&a=details&jobOrderID=
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 6:50:01 PM EDT
[#15]
My guy is full up with people.  In fact he has a long waiting list.  Says the job market is really tough right now (security related).  

Sorry, wish I could help more
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 7:16:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

La Strada if you've ever heard of it. My uncle and dad had them in Charlotte and grandfather currently runs the biggest one in Lake Lure
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holeee Crap. This the La Strada that used to be over off Central Ave. near Eastland mall before it became a no go zone?

I think I just had a Sicilian Pizza twitch.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 5:49:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I've been looking at the contractor market for when I ETS/transition to the Reserves, and it isn't pretty unless you want to guard an ECP for medicore pay.  At this point I'm going to try to go Federal LE.

It is only going to get worse as the military sheds more people.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 8:22:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Holeee Crap. This the La Strada that used to be over off Central Ave. near Eastland mall before it became a no go zone?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup that was my Grandpas place , then it moved over to Matthews 51 then that went ghetto and my family said screw it and moved to Lake Lure. I was eating Sicilian for new years at the place
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 1:14:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Have you ever thought about Nuclear Security? I worked my way up to Lt in less than three years, but even as a guard there were guys making over $100k/year if you don't mind OT. Personally, I said screw the union, took the supervisor position, went salary and got the big bonuses instead.

Almost everyone there is prior Mil or LE. You would feel right at home. The only thing you will have to fight is boredom, plus the NRC's CAF Team, attacking the plant with Saab Gear.

The plant I worked for (non-work related spinal injury, six fusions so far and not done yet) just threw the switch forever last Monday. You think the economy sucks in NC, wait and see what happens now that the second largest employer in VT isn't there anymore. Some of the guys already have jobs lined up at a plant in NC.

Just an option.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 2:08:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Have you ever thought about Nuclear Security? I worked my way up to Lt in less than three years, but even as a guard there were guys making over $100k/year if you don't mind OT. Personally, I said screw the union, took the supervisor position, went salary and got the big bonuses instead.

Almost everyone there is prior Mil or LE. You would feel right at home. The only thing you will have to fight is boredom, plus the NRC's CAF Team, attacking the plant with Saab Gear.

The plant I worked for (non-work related spinal injury, six fusions so far and not done yet) just threw the switch forever last Monday. You think the economy sucks in NC, wait and see what happens now that the second largest employer in VT isn't there anymore. Some of the guys already have jobs lined up at a plant in NC.

Just an option.
View Quote

Any contacts for that?
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 6:04:20 AM EDT
[#21]
I'll contact one of the guards going down South today and PM you. This is one security job where your current Secret clearance won't help. They do their own background on you. It's an NRC "Q", which is a compartmentalized Top Secret. That's why most people can't get the job there. Honestly, not a lot of people have lived their lives clean enough to clear a Top Secret clearance check. I had high school teachers contacted, my parents' neighbors, and people I don't have any idea how they found out about! Every new hire class loses people as their background comes back.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 8:04:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'll contact one of the guards going down South today and PM you. This is one security job where your current Secret clearance won't help. They do their own background on you. It's an NRC "Q", which is a compartmentalized Top Secret. That's why most people can't get the job there. Honestly, not a lot of people have lived their lives clean enough to clear a Top Secret clearance check. I had high school teachers contacted, my parents' neighbors, and people I don't have any idea how they found out about! Every new hire class loses people as their background comes back.
View Quote

I've got the certs and training no prob

I'll give it a shot with a poc
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:41:42 PM EDT
[#23]
What's the deal with securitas on the nuclear side
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:56:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

I need to follow up with the guard going down South again.

Most nuke sites don't have their own guard force. They use a Security Contractor instead, since most companies feel it makes more financial sense. The company I work for is an exception. I was G4S Wackenhut when I was first hired, but the company decided it should have it's own security department.

I believe we were the only company who no longer used sub-contractors. Securitas is the most popular of the nuke security companies.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:46:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Most nuke sites don't have their own guard force. They use a Security Contractor instead, since most companies feel it makes more financial sense. The company I work for is an exception. I was G4S Wackenhut when I was first hired, but the company decided it should have it's own security department.

I believe we were the only company who no longer used sub-contractors. Securitas is the most popular of the nuke security companies.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think they do duke, or start out there and then duke pulls you into their team??
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top