Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/9/2013 12:37:26 PM EDT
What's unemployment like in North Carolina?  I may relocate soon, and North Carolina is on my short list, but not if jobs aren't there, and I would really like there to be.  I looked it up, and according to the feds it's 8.0% that's the 39th worse in the country, is that accurate? (Michigan by contrast is 9.0% and 49th worse, but the whole point is to move to greener pastures)  Is it better in certain parts of the state?  Is there anything decent available for someone without a degree?

I really need to pull the lever on Michigan soon.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 1:21:14 PM EDT
[#1]
100 counties and 100 stories. The whole spectrum of levels of unemployment are covered. You may be leaving the pan for the fire unless you have an idea of what you want to do and where you want to do it at.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 2:51:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Yup some counties aren't bad, some are awful.  Some were bad before the economic downturn so I wouldn't expect them to turn around anytime soon.  But depending on your field the Charlotte, Raleigh/Durham areas would most likely be the easiest places to find a decent job.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 3:07:47 PM EDT
[#3]
The places with better employment outlooks are the places you least likely to enjoy living. Depending on your willingness to commute that can be overcome. Indeed.com may give you some insight. I got a job within a month of moving to the Triad two years ago, the pay certainly isn't what I hoped for, but I went gov over private sector and knew I'd be trading income for stability. Four years ago I spent my last four months in Lansing, MI filling out hundreds of apps and only scored one interview, unless things have changed I's say the market is better here.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 3:14:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The places with better employment outlooks are the places you least likely to enjoy living. Depending on your willingness to commute that can be overcome. Indeed.com may give you some insight. I got a job within a month of moving to the Triad two years ago, the pay certainly isn't what I hoped for, but I went gov over private sector and knew I'd be trading income for stability. Four years ago I spent my last four months in Lansing, MI filling out hundreds of apps and only scored one interview, unless things have changed I's say the market is better here.
View Quote

What do you do?  Are they hiring?
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 3:27:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a good job in a more rural county, buy i'm lucky.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 4:36:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Just hang tight in MI.  We've got enough folks here on unemployment already.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:08:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Depending on your skill set, a degree may not be necessary, even in a professional environment. So what do you do?
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:53:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Depending on your skill set, a degree may not be necessary, even in a professional environment. So what do you do?
View Quote

I'm an NRA instructor, and teach the Michigan CPL class, I'm also a vendor at gun shows, before that I worked in a warehouse for 5 years, UPS (hub) before that, and retail before that.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 9:06:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm an NRA instructor, and teach the Michigan CPL class, I'm also a vendor at gun shows, before that I worked in a warehouse for 5 years, UPS (hub) before that, and retail before that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well there's not a lot of opportunity for just a NRA instructor, you'll need to take the state mandated class for instructors of the concealed handgun course. Even then, the chances are slim that you can eek out a living doing that solo. If that is all you plan on doing you'll need to find a group to become affiliated with and MAYBE that will put beans in the pot. As to the other jobs, those are not in great demand here due to the high levels of unemployment.

Here's the info on the state requirements.  NC Requirements for Concealed Handgun Permit Class Instructors
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 9:39:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Well there's not a lot of opportunity for just a NRA instructor, you'll need to take the state mandated class for instructors of the concealed handgun course. Even then, the chances are slim that you can eek out a living doing that solo. If that is all you plan on doing you'll need to find a group to become affiliated with and MAYBE that will put beans in the pot. As to the other jobs, those are not in great demand here due to the high levels of unemployment.

Here's the info on the state requirements.  NC Requirements for Concealed Handgun Permit Class Instructors
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much why I am wanting to leave Michigan.  I'm open to doing just about anything, but there is just nothing available, at all, period.  Jobs that 10 years ago only required a pulse, now require a bachelors degree, and 10 years of experience.  That's the whole reason I started instructing, and doing the shows, I figured that I would just have to hire myself, (and enjoy myself in the process) since no one else is hiring, but it just is not paying the bills, I need to leave.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:45:53 AM EDT
[#11]
There are lots of vacation homes and retirees on both ends of the state.  If you have a skill you could make a decent living doing service work in those communities.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:21:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The places with better employment outlooks are the places you least likely to enjoy living. Depending on your willingness to commute that can be overcome. Indeed.com may give you some insight. I got a job within a month of moving to the Triad two years ago, the pay certainly isn't what I hoped for, but I went gov over private sector and knew I'd be trading income for stability. Four years ago I spent my last four months in Lansing, MI filling out hundreds of apps and only scored one interview, unless things have changed I'd say the market is better here.

Mechanic by trade, no longer turning wrenches, currently a shift supervisor, needed the money, but leaving the floor the job became sort of political and a hell of a headache. The city is usually hiring for a few things, my dept is currently only accepting internal applicants.
State
Greensboro
Winston-Salem
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:45:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Just hang tight in MI.  We've got enough folks here on unemployment already.
View Quote

What he said.

Stop reading all the magazine articles paid for by the chamber of commerce and real estate pushers. It's not what it used to be and never will be again.

If you don't have a solid job in hand before you move here, don't expect it to be any easier finding one when you get here.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 12:18:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Honestly, if I were in your shoes, I would start looking at gigs out in ND... A buddy posted this on FB today:

Here is the crazy amount of high paying Jobs in North Dakota. Today My truck gelled up and i was unable to drive from my hotel out to my worksite so I had to call a "Hotshot truck". What they do is they deliver and tow equipment out to rig sites for a certain amount of money, this one drove me and my trailer out to the site. Anyway the driver was very friendly and started to talk to me about job opportunities that paid out the ass up here in williston. I was picking my jaw off the floor when he was done. He Told me a Walmart checkout employee could make 18/hr and 21/hr for night shift. He said his son made 25/hr as an invoice manager at NAPA autoparts. That was the tip of the iceberg. He talked about how truck drivers here made 30-35/hr. He personally makes 150/hr driving a Hotshot truck. I was amazed. And the thing is they are always hiring here. You could litterally, Finish College come here pay off your loans, make a little extra and go home and start your career debt free. Also a secretary working on dispatch makes 27/hr and woman working the scales makes 30/hr. This was crazy. Most of these pays were just starting positions, entry level. So if you are tight for money i suggest you sacrifice a year of your life and make a good share of the boom money here. So crazy. Also every restaurant is full all times of the day. Whew gotta love booms. Oh and unemployment in ND is 600/week. wow.
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top