Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2012 4:53:18 PM EDT
I am traveling to NC from Ga.  Must pass through SC.  What is allowed while in SC (car) and what is allowed in NC (car, hotel, on foot)?  I have CCW from GA.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 5:45:30 PM EDT
[#1]
As far as NC goes you can carry pretty much anywhere on ur persons with a Georgia CCW except the normal exceptions like govt. buildings, restaurants with alcohal, educational grounds, and so on check out the NC carry site and it will give the list.
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 6:09:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Center console or glovebox in SC
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 4:05:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys.

I knew that SC did not honor my CWP but NC did.  

While traveling through SC, having it loaded in center console/glove box is acceptable?

In NC- So any restaurant that sells alcohol (most serve beer at least) is a no-go?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 4:18:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Thanks guys.

While traveling through SC, having it loaded in center console/glove box is acceptable?

In NC- So any restaurant that sells alcohol (most serve beer at least) is a no-go?

Thanks.

yes,, loaded in console/glovebox in SC
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 7:20:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks guys.

Thanks.

Correct..... if they serve alcohol (pretty much any resturant these days), it's a no-go.

Link Posted: 3/17/2012 12:46:18 PM EDT
[#6]
As many times as this is ask on this forum I think our Moderater should add a sticky to the top of the page one for SC and one for NC for the CCW laws
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 5:15:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks to all for your time.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 3:07:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Have a safe trip, OP!
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 4:05:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks a bunch!  I will be taking my Sub 2000 (Glock 22 option) and another 40 cal Glock pistol.

The whole reason I purchased the Sub 2000 is for hotel rooms where it would not look good having a long gun case with my baggage.  Folded in a small black locking case with sling attached, I have a 32 round stick loaded, double mag pouch with 2 loaded mags, one loaded mag in the mag well, and a box of 20 extra rounds.

Total weight is just over 10 lbs.  The mags are interchangeable with my pistol so all works well.

Not an over kill.  Just thinking about how muck better off I would be if something stupid happened while I am away from my home.  (which is my BOL)

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 7:08:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Had a wonderful visit to Charlotte.  What a beautiful city.  Clean.  You know, I did not see the first gang banger or ghetto cruiser.  My hat is off to you.   Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 7:48:08 PM EDT
[#11]
ncdoj.com will give you the run down of the top "10" if you will of things you Cannot do with your CCH in NC.

Any establishment that serves alcohol is a no no.

No govt buildings.

no schools, not even on the property. ie not allowed even if left in car in their parking lot.

and of course in no building that shows the no handgun sign in the window.

I may have missed a few so, take it for what it's worth.

Oh yea and you MUST tell any officer of the law that ''talks'' to you that you have a CCW permit and are or are not armed. Don't show it (the handugn) but you must present your CCH and a valid matching ID.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 3:44:56 AM EDT
[#12]
That is one thing that I noticed that I did not like- The "no guns allowed" stickers EVERYWHERE.  

But at least I did not feel like I had to have my hand on my weapon while there like most places I have been.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 1:33:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
ncdoj.com will give you the run down of the top "10" if you will of things you Cannot do with your CCH in NC.

Any establishment that serves alcohol is a no no.

No govt buildings.

no schools, not even on the property. ie not allowed even if left in car in their parking lot.

and of course in no building that shows the no handgun sign in the window.

I may have missed a few so, take it for what it's worth.

Oh yea and you MUST tell any officer of the law that ''talks'' to you that you have a CCW permit and are or are not armed. Don't show it (the handugn) but you must present your CCH and a valid matching ID.

The part in red is incorrect there is no requirement to notify if you are not armed.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 6:24:31 PM EDT
[#14]
There is a notification that you must inform the officer that you are a CCH carrier, IE you have a permit, weather armed or not.

If you really want to get the officer's dander up, don't say anything and see what happens. You won't like it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 7:51:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
There is a notification that you must inform the officer that you are a CCH carrier, IE you have a permit, weather armed or not.

If you really want to get the officer's dander up, don't say anything and see what happens. You won't like it.

No you are wrong a person who has a CCW permit is only required to notify if they are carrying. If you ARE NOT carrying you do not have to say anything please read the law and be informed.

14‑415.11.  Permit to carry concealed handgun; scope of permit.

(a)        Any person who has a concealed handgun permit may carry a concealed handgun unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law.
 The person shall carry the permit together with valid identification whenever the person is carrying a concealed handgun, shall disclose to any law enforcement officer that the person holds a valid permit and is carrying a concealed handgun when approached or addressed by the officer, and shall display both the permit and the proper identification upon the request of a law enforcement officer.
 In addition to these requirements, a military permittee whose permit has expired during deployment may carry a concealed handgun during the 90 days following the end of deployment and before the permit is renewed provided the permittee also displays proof of deployment to any law enforcement officer.

Link Posted: 3/25/2012 3:50:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Glad I wasn't stopped while carrying.  I would have said nothing.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 5:07:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

No. If not carrying you don't have to mention it. Why would you? He already knows by running your plate that you have a permit.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 6:37:36 AM EDT
[#18]
You too can be a test case.

go ahead don't say anything, see what happens. You won't like it.

This is the voice of experience talking.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 10:12:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

While it may be the voice of experience, the experience was one where someone was told wrong information and they took it as being correct. If you were chastised for not informing when not carrying then you should have taken the time to verify via the statutes (after the encounter) and write a complaint letter to the department that the officer worked for and ask for a corrective action.

As it as been highlighted several times in direct quotes to statutes for NC, you do NOT have to notify when you are not armed. This has been verified with the AGs office as well as the NC Justice Academy who teaches both LE and the instructors for the CHP class this very point.

You have to realize that there is NO law enforcement officer out there that knows EVERY statute and it's intricacies. Will there be officers that get it wrong. Yes, we've seen time and time again they do but changing our responses to compensate for their misinformation is NOT the right way to handle it.

As said before, if you do encounter an officer that thinks you should notify even when unarmed, simply agree with him since you never win roadside debates with LEOs, note his name and the detail of what you were told, then when you get home write a letter to the department chief and relay your story with supporting quotes of statutes and ask for corrective action. Don't quit until you get satisfaction.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 10:22:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I have and nothing happen. In my case I got pull over for speeding when the officer came back with my warning ticket he ask me why I didn't tell him I had a CCW permit. I told him that I was only required to tell him I had a permit when I was carrying and since I was not carrying I wasn't required to notify him of my permit. He ok have a nice day and sent me on my way. It is a shame that you let someone who doesn't know what they are talking about scare you into doing something that the law does not require. As I said before read the law that I posted and be informed and please stop spreading false BS as facts.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 2:38:16 PM EDT
[#21]
HR111 passed and went into law Dec 1, 2011 allowing concealed carry in state parks and restaurants. Be advised, if you are carrying you are not allowed to consume any alcohol. In my CCW course I was told to advise the officer I was a permit holder and I was/wasn't carrying. I haven't been stopped, but if I am I will turn the interior lights on and keep my hands both visible (as my instructor advised). I will inform I am a CCW permit holder and if I am carrying.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 4:02:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
HR111 passed and went into law Dec 1, 2011 allowing concealed carry in state parks and restaurants. Be advised, if you are carrying you are not allowed to consume any alcohol. In my CCW course I was told to advise the officer I was a permit holder and I was/wasn't carrying. I haven't been stopped, but if I am I will turn the interior lights on and keep my hands both visible (as my instructor advised). I will inform I am a CCW permit holder and if I am carrying.

You sir are also misinformed HB-111 passed the house but is stuck in the senate and did not become law. Also you cannot carry in to any place that sells and serves alcohol period. HB650 did pass and became law and allows conceald carry in state parks and as stated before and shown NCGS 14-415.11(a) you are only requird to inform if you are carrying if you are not carrying you are not required to say anything

§ 14‑269.3.  Carrying weapons into assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed.
(a)        It shall be unlawful for any person to carry any gun, rifle, or pistol into any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission thereto, or into any establishment in which alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed.  Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

(b)        This section shall not apply to the following:

(1)        A person exempted from the provisions of G.S. 14‑269;

(2)        The owner or lessee of the premises or business establishment;

(3)        A person participating in the event, if he is carrying a gun, rifle, or pistol with the permission of the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event; and

(4)        A person registered or hired as a security guard by the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event. (1977, c. 1016, s. 1; 1981, c. 412, s. 4, c. 747, s. 66; 1993, c. 539, s. 165; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 2:25:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You sir are also misinformed HB-111 passed the house but is stuck in the senate and did not become law. Also you cannot carry in to any place that sells and serves alcohol period. HB650 did pass and became law and allows conceald carry in state parks and as stated before and shown NCGS 14-415.11(a) you are only requird to inform if you are carrying if you are not carrying you are not required to say anything

§ 14‑269.3.  Carrying weapons into assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed.
(a)        It shall be unlawful for any person to carry any gun, rifle, or pistol into any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission thereto, or into any establishment in which alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed.  Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

(3)        A person participating in the event, if he is carrying a gun, rifle, or pistol with the permission of the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event; and

(4)        A person registered or hired as a security guard by the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event. (1977, c. 1016, s. 1; 1981, c. 412, s. 4, c. 747, s. 66; 1993, c. 539, s. 165; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)

Because of this understanding I was unarmed most of the time I was in Charlotte.     (I don't drink but beer is served most everywhere)
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 4:19:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because of this understanding I was unarmed most of the time I was in Charlotte.     (I don't drink but beer is served most everywhere)

There are trying to change it but it didn't make this time HB650 as first written would have allowed carry in places where alcohol is served and on school groungs.  But it had to be strip out in order to get passed you know the saying one step at a time.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 4:23:58 PM EDT
[#25]
what really gets me is the number of people who have a CCW permit and do not know the law. Or people like the guy over at CSF that claims to be a instructor and teaches people stuff that is contrary to the law.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 1:03:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
what really gets me is the number of people who have a CCW permit and do not know the law. Or people like the guy over at CSF that claims to be a instructor and teaches people stuff that is contrary to the law.

Now that can be real dangerous.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 1:46:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now that can be real dangerous.

This guy keep on that he was right even after several people told him and showed the current law right down to the general statute number.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:39:24 PM EDT
[#28]
I will also be visiting South Carolina from Georgia and stopped in the check the rules. When I was was 21 I went to Parris Island to see a friend graduate. While driving through I got stopped and removed my pistol from the glove box and placed it on the dash. (As I would have had to do in Georgia) and notified the officer as soon as he greeted me. For this act of courtesy, he told me "you would have been fine if you had left it in the glove box" then  he slapped me with in illegal possesion ticket and took my pistol. Luckily I was leaving soon for boot camp myself. Me and my recruiter conference called the sherrif, who agreed to drop the charges if I would donate the gun to the dept. "We're a small department and need these high capacity guns so I would be willing to drop the charges if you were willing to donate the pistol to us." He barely got the words out before I agreed. However he still hit me with the 65 in a 40 and the open container. Which was a bottle of goldschlager with about 2 shots left in it that I had apparently been riding around with for almost 2 weeks. check current laws, which I didnt do last time.

This time I figured I would check local laws.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top